“So-so food & sad-sad service without a "sorry about that, sir"”

Day and Night Diner
Ranked #21 of 35 Restaurants in Palmer
Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Belchertown, Massachusetts
“So-so food & sad-sad service without a "sorry about that, sir"”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

My family and I LOVE diners! We've been to many over the past three years. Hence, we were all excited to go to the Day and Night Diner for my birthday brunch. When we arrived, I commented on how cool the place looked as a classic old diner with cozy booths and neat, old-school stools lining the counter. The look of the place was the best part of our experience.

When the menus came, my spouse and I noticed that there was nothing that really grabbed our attention as a "must try" item. (If you are looking for someone to cook you bacon and eggs you could make for yourself, then this place is fine). The menu did mention one certain type of home fries as a specialty item. So, we ended up getting that with some typical breakfast fare.

Unfortunately, my family was victimized by poor communication between the server and cook. The coffee and chocolate milks came right away and then all went downhill from there. Apparently our order got misplaced (and hence, never placed). About thirty-five minutes later my spouse and I watched as the people next to us got served three of their four meals. The cook failed to read the fourth meal chicken-scratched in the corner of that particular order. Then we got caught in the crossfire of bickering between this wife and husband squabble over who's fault the mix-ups were. It made the awkward situation even more so. Meanwhile, my boys kept asking, "When is our food going to be ready?" as two other families who had come in after us were served their meals, ate, and departed. The whole scene was a great advertisement for why husbands and wives should not own a family business together.

Finally, we watched as our server located our order slip and put in a "rush" on our meals. About and HOUR after we ordered our food finally arrived at the table. Most of it... the specialty home fries were nowhere to be found.... and my wife got an omelet instead of the breakfast sandwich she had ordered. By the time the home fries arrived, we had already figured there would be nothing "special" about the specialty fries. Sadly, we were right.

I am a very patient and understanding person. I know mistakes happen (because I make plenty of them myself). I think I was most disappointed by the fact that our server never attempted to explain what had happened or even offered a half-hearted (never mind whole-hearted) apology to us for the excruciatingly long wait. We asked for the check and (unbelievably!!!) that took another ten minutes to arrive, and not until we offered a not-so-subtle hint of having the whole family STAND UP by our table to wait in the now nearly empty diner. When it did arrive, there was no good will gesture to reduce the price either... nothing that suggested that they valued our business and felt bad about the poor service.

I am a very generous tipper. My spouse sometimes gets mad at me when I leave an extra-large tip. But not this day. Our bill came to $22.15... fortunately we had exact change (I wasn't going to wait another 10 minutes for the 85 cents).

• Visited October 2011

Sharon Springs, New York
“Almost missed it”
Reviewed September 16, 2011

We were traveling to Maine and my wife loves the Mom and Pop hometown cooking you can;t get at a chain restaurant and we almost missed it the diner is very unassumming and almost hidden. We were fortunate enough to be able to pull over and get an almost front row parking spot. The food was very good and the atmosphere was very friendly. Aside from the fact that we wanted crispy homefries the service was very good any delays were of our making. I like it when you order homefries and they have a unique to the diner flavor like a hidden ingredient that sets them apart in a good way. May never go that way again but would recommend if passing through as an alternative of the chains.

• Visited September 2011
Warren, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,664 helpful votes
“Typical Rail Car Diner”
Reviewed September 13, 2008

Day & Night Diner has been around for as long as I can remember in its prominent spot on North Main Street in Palmer. The car is small with only about six booths plus stools at the pink granite counter. The decor is old-fashioned with lots of finished hard wood, checkered tile floors, and red vinyl upholstery. Conversation is loud and lively here, but the food is filling and service isn't bad. Open for breakfast and lunch only.

The menus are located on top of each table under glass and range from eggs and omelettes to pancakes. Lunch menus include soups and salads and a pretty good burger, tuna melts, and other typical sandwich offerings. Special meals are on the board at the kitchen entrance. Don't expect anything fancy; this place offers a pretty earthy experience.

1 Thank redeco