“Good but not great”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The wifes rib eye had some kind of butter put on it and we could not understand the flavor that it produced, we were confused because we ordered steak and not garlic butter bread? The chicken I had was yummy and that's why they got the three instead of a one!

4  Thank jgatc29
There are newer reviews for J. Anthony's Italian Grill

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I travel for business and was told about this place from a customer of mine.

Very nice looking on the outside and inside - cool bar with frozen ice around it to keep your beer cold. That is where my compliments pretty much end.

Sat down at bar around 9:30pm on a Wed. night. Watched three bartenders re-stock the bar for about 3 mintues. Watched two other waitresses come to the pick up area and got their drinks...I was still waiting and no-one had said anything.

I had to say "Excuse me" to ask for a menu. Then for a beer.
Was given the menu and she brought the beer then didn't see her again.

They continued to stock behind the bar, talk amongst themselves on the side of the bar and also with a customer or two that was playing some lotto game. The guy at the bar (patron) started tossing ice towards the girl waitresses and bartenders and giggles everywhere.

I finally grabbed someone's attention and asked if I could order some dinner? She said fine, I told her what I wanted and asked about what came with the dinner. She said "Um, well what does it say in the menu? I am new, I dont' know."

Put my glasses back on - re-read the menu and ordered. Food came out about 15 minutes later. Another bartender dropped it off for me and I had to ask for silverware. Got that and she disappeared too.

No one came to ask if I wanted another Beer, if the meal was ok...NOTHING. They just talked and talked and ignored everyone as if we were doing them a favor by coming in. It was like we were all a bother to them.

Good thing - Haddock was tasty. Lobster sauce was terrible watery looking (said it was a cream sauce) NOT.

Finally aked again for a check - got it and left.

It's sad because this place is nice looking, COULD be great but the staff is absolutely TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE.

Would NEVER go back there.

5  Thank Debbie C
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Just spent several hours here. I watched several orders of food arrive. Salad was only romaine lettuce, soaked haddock,(ronnies is better) boxed fettuci alfredo, sitting in a pool of some cream sauce that was disgusting looking, an "italian restaurant", yet no one was trying" italian food" Maybe they read the Craigslist reviews... yikes...then The waitress disappeared on us and we had to track down another. Pretty empty for a friday night in July. The food has not gotten better, I believe it has gotton worse. Don' t waste your time, too many good places in a short drive from here.

4  Thank Wpd42
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I went out on Saturday evening around 6 p.m.for dinner,we were looking forward to trying it since we had been there in the past. The place looked very nice, new booths cleaner appearance over-all.... Now is when I need to say I am one who will never complain, it truly embarrasses to speak up for myself.
Appetizer of Calamari should have been our first hint of what was to come (chewy,rubbery rings).
My order of Rib-eye Steak(ordered medium) was presented to me raw...the three onion rings that were to be topping it, appeared as cold thin crispy bunch of rings.When we were able to get our servers attention she quickly apologized and said she would be right back, the manager came over to us with the plate in hand and said "the cook cut it in the middle and it seemed just fine" and the returned plate had no toppings!!! After trying to take a couple bites(impossible to chew),and nearly as impossible to cut, the server was again contacted. So again here comes the manager...please let us make this right she said. So to be fair I agreed, and ordered my second favorite dish Baked stuffed Shrimp (we had been here many times under previous owner,and I always ordered the same things). By now my Husband had nearly finished his dinner (average at best, Seafood Stew). He had to keep shooing the fly away from his plate.
Finally my "New" dinner arrived (I love shrimp)....I could not believe what they had served me!!!
The shrimp which was small in size was stuffed with this glob of raw mush lightly browned on top
and totally not cooked, WORSE Yet the Shrimp was translucent. Oh my G.....I was so furious!!!
I got the "we will take it off the bill". I could not even speak.

6  Thank jeanneMia D
Reviewed June 28, 2013

There was a fly in my salad. A huge, dead fly! I almost tossed my cookies right there! I was so disgusted, I told the manager and she just tried to quiet me down. I just walked out.
I should have passed on the salad bar. It's all left out in the open, and the lettuce was old and starting to turn bad. They shut the cover for the plates but leave the food wide open... SMART... NOT!!!
I will never, ever go there again. Nothing's changed with the new name... i wonder if the lettuce fell off the truck just like those lobsters years ago.

6  Thank Chris P