“an amazing place, could be in manhattan , not what you would expect for a beach town”
Review of Five Bays Bistro

Five Bays Bistro
Ranked #3 of 16 Restaurants in Osterville
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of one of the most picturesque villages on Cape Cod, Five Bays Bistro offers modern yet classic food and atmosphere worthy of a major city. The Bistro serves award winning contemporary new American cuisine, with a more casual small plates menu at the bar.
Long Island, Ny
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Very upscale in every way. The service, the atmosphere, the food, and the menu.
A small intimate place, with white tablecloth service.
It has an interesting bar and cocktail menu.
Everyone was well-dressed. I think it's the only nice restaurant around for miles.
Good wine list.
There is somewhat of a bar scene as well.
Reservations are tight, it is a small intimate place.
We loved it.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank redheadLongIsland_Ny

Hartford CT
“Nice location, upscale clientele, decent job- but just above average in my opinion”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I don't like writing anything negative, but I must say that the food was just a little better than average, not bad, certainly not great. Atmosphere definitely sophisticated, but service at least for me was not up to par. Girl at front desk didn't want to be there, either she was bored or tired, just not sure what was going on there. I had made a reservation, but she couldn't find that, and took me to a nice table. Server was pretty much the same-almost like she didn't want to be there-did everything without much energy; took my order after I had been sitting for quite a while, I had ordered a seafood bisque, along with some seafood, and about 25 minutes later she delivered the bisque, which was OK but not great. I began looking at the time after a while, tried to make eye contact w/ the server, but who knows where she went? Nice basket of bread. Seafood was very very heavy on the sauce-got that pretty much right after I finished the bisque. Place is lively, busy. Chef seemed to have a great attitude and enjoys what he's doing-I'd be willing to go back, but must say that my first visit was not as good as i had expected.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Mal723
Centerville, Massachusetts
“A great local upscale restaurant”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

While the Cape has many restaurants, there aren't many that offer consistently good food with a sophisticated atmosphere. This is a restaurant you could find in any big city. Five Bays has a lively bar where seats are coveted by locals so to get a seat at the bar, get there early! I always get the Thai shrimp which is marinated then grilled and drizzled with a light, flavorful peanut sauce with a side of bok choy. Great appetizer!

• Visited December 2012
San Diego, California
“Superb”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Boston proper on the Cape, excellent all around.
Superb menue with choices. Polite staff, superb atmosphere and design.

Visited October 2012
Massachusetts
“Delicious food, nice service, great find!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We went to Five Bays to celebrate my father's birthday. We could only get a reservation for 8:30, and when we arrived we were told that our table was "just finishing up" and so we went to the bar for a drink. Unfortunately it was clear to me very quickly that the people at our designated table were not "finishing up" at all, they were settling in to chat for the long haul. I wondered how this would be handled as I had heard the host telling a couple without reservations that that they were fully booked for the rest of the evening. I was very glad to see that the host recognized that our table was not going to be free quickly enough to meet our reservation, and in very short order he changed another table configuration and had us seated at a different table. So kudos for good service before we were even seated, which just continued once we were at the table and our waitress was extremely helpful and friendly.

The real story about Five Bays has to be the food, though -- as it should be! We started with the crispy fried artichokes (amazing, delicious little bites) and the Asian vegetable wontons (crispy skin with a nice vegetable filling, and a tasty hoisin sauce drizzled on top). There were two specials this evening, including a halibut special which was extremely tempting, but I had gone in planning to get the halibut on the regular menu and I stuck with my plan -- and I'm so glad I did! I wasn't sure I would care for the tomato tapenade on top, but it was absolutely delicious and was a perfect complement to the perfectly cooked halibut, the wilted spinach underneath, and the fingerling potatoes. When I go back to Five Bays (and I will!), I should try something else, like the pan-seared scallops with lima bean, andouille and crab succotash which my mother had and looked delicious, but it will be very, very hard to pass up that halibut. My father's filet was perfectly cooked and the risotto it was served on was creamy and delicious. For dessert, my daughter and husband shared the warm cookie ala mode, my father had the cheesecake tart with roasted peach, and I had the pineapple tiramisu, which was so enormous I had to bring 2/3 of it home. But, as a pineapple and coconut fan, I really enjoyed this dessert, although if I had to make one suggestion it would be that the lady fingers were not moist enough (more rum, anyone?). However, all in all, I highly recommend this restaurant and can't wait to go back.

One last thing to add -- my main concern with going at 8:30 is that so many restaurants in this area seem to fizzle out after 8pm, and everything from the service to the food suffers, not to mention the atmosphere is overly quiet and dull. However, this place was still going strong when we left at 10:30 -- I believe the kitchen closes at 10pm but there were still plenty of people there at that time eating, getting a drink at the bar, meeting up with friends. Obviously this is a very popular spot with the locals.

• Visited September 2012