“Delicious food, nice service, great find!”
Review of Five Bays Bistro

Five Bays Bistro
Ranked #3 of 17 Restaurants in Osterville
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of one of the most picturesque villages on Cape Cod, Five Bays Bistro offers modern yet classic food and atmosphere worthy of a major city. The Bistro serves award winning contemporary new American cuisine, with a more casual small plates menu at the bar.
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We went to Five Bays to celebrate my father's birthday. We could only get a reservation for 8:30, and when we arrived we were told that our table was "just finishing up" and so we went to the bar for a drink. Unfortunately it was clear to me very quickly that the people at our designated table were not "finishing up" at all, they were settling in to chat for the long haul. I wondered how this would be handled as I had heard the host telling a couple without reservations that that they were fully booked for the rest of the evening. I was very glad to see that the host recognized that our table was not going to be free quickly enough to meet our reservation, and in very short order he changed another table configuration and had us seated at a different table. So kudos for good service before we were even seated, which just continued once we were at the table and our waitress was extremely helpful and friendly.

The real story about Five Bays has to be the food, though -- as it should be! We started with the crispy fried artichokes (amazing, delicious little bites) and the Asian vegetable wontons (crispy skin with a nice vegetable filling, and a tasty hoisin sauce drizzled on top). There were two specials this evening, including a halibut special which was extremely tempting, but I had gone in planning to get the halibut on the regular menu and I stuck with my plan -- and I'm so glad I did! I wasn't sure I would care for the tomato tapenade on top, but it was absolutely delicious and was a perfect complement to the perfectly cooked halibut, the wilted spinach underneath, and the fingerling potatoes. When I go back to Five Bays (and I will!), I should try something else, like the pan-seared scallops with lima bean, andouille and crab succotash which my mother had and looked delicious, but it will be very, very hard to pass up that halibut. My father's filet was perfectly cooked and the risotto it was served on was creamy and delicious. For dessert, my daughter and husband shared the warm cookie ala mode, my father had the cheesecake tart with roasted peach, and I had the pineapple tiramisu, which was so enormous I had to bring 2/3 of it home. But, as a pineapple and coconut fan, I really enjoyed this dessert, although if I had to make one suggestion it would be that the lady fingers were not moist enough (more rum, anyone?). However, all in all, I highly recommend this restaurant and can't wait to go back.

One last thing to add -- my main concern with going at 8:30 is that so many restaurants in this area seem to fizzle out after 8pm, and everything from the service to the food suffers, not to mention the atmosphere is overly quiet and dull. However, this place was still going strong when we left at 10:30 -- I believe the kitchen closes at 10pm but there were still plenty of people there at that time eating, getting a drink at the bar, meeting up with friends. Obviously this is a very popular spot with the locals.

There are newer reviews for Five Bays Bistro

Reviewed September 13, 2012

My friend from Falmouth took me to this restaurant last Saturday night. I came to visit from Asheville, NC, a big foody town, so she was a bit nervous, I think. I've gotta say, Cape Cod has some noteworthy restaurants !! We both started with a spicy heirloom tomato gazpacho (a special that night, I think) followed by the Sole Francaise which was prepared wonderfully by chef, and whatever you do, don't miss the parmesan risotto. I wanted to lick my plate !! I'll beg to return when I visit again.

1  Thank susieq828
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We are ostervillians and had frequented five bays many times a year ago and took some time off. Went back Sunday night and had the salmon and chicken as our two entres and it was prepared perfectly.
Service was awesome ( Katie ) and it was just the best. Unfortunately we were in the back room as we prefer to sit at the high tops out front but that was due to our last minute res
Can't wait to go back.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

Our party of six was sitting around the pool on a Saturday hoping for an early cancellation around 6:30 as we wanted to head back to Boston after dinner. I was so pleased when I got the call that a there was a cancellation for one of the round sixes at the restaurant. This time I remembered to ask if if we could bring our own wine and be charged a cork fee. To my delight they said that would be fine and the fee was 20 per bottle, very fair. I just want to share my opinion on the cork fee for a moment. I wish the majority of the restaurants in Massachusetts would get in line with the rest of the country and allow patrons to bring their own bottle and charge a fair cork fee. Those of us who enjoy fine wine with dinner so often are forced to order an average bottle of wine at a 3 time markup. My party enjoyed our dinner that much more with our two special bottles and we always make sure to tip as if we ordered a more expensive bottle. Back to dinner, our waitress Yana was great. She explained the dish preparations accurately. We shared a bunch of apps that were all excellent. The lobster taquito was delicious with a soft delicate pastry outside with lots of lobster meat inside. The yellow gazpacho was good but could use a little more kick to it. Our entrees were all excellent, several of us split the halibut entree which was a great split in the kitchen and our waitress suggested a few additional sides to go along which was a great suggestion. I ordered the Pork chop, asked for it medium at most and unfortunately it arrived well done. When I called Yana over, I told her I would rather just eat the one i had if they couldn't get another one out within 8 minutes. We all know how a dinner experience can be disappointing when everyone feels like they have to wait while one person is waiting for their meal. Well, Yana walked into the kitchen with my Pork Chop and like magic walked out the other door with my perfectly cooked Pork Chop! They obviously get it here as they grabbed some other party's dish seamlessly. We shared a decadent warm chocolate chip Ala mode dessert with cappuccinos. Thank you Joyce for getting us in last minute. There aren't too many great restaurants on the cape but this one has gotten better every-time we return.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

We've been disappointed in Five Bays on both of the two occasions we've dined there in the past several months. The dining room, though divided in two distinct sections, is also right on top of a generally hoppingly noisy bar, and the soundproofing is quite absent...so it's always tough for conversation, even when the room isn't full. Then there's the less-than-friendly, one might almost say, offhanded, approach of the wait staff..(unless, I suspect, one is seen as one of the regular Ostervillians who seem to be the majority of diners.) The real letdown, however, is the menu. Though lately touted in "Edible Cape Cod" as inventive and locavore, the cuisine was quite average during our visits. The wine list, though extensive and wide-ranging, was overpriced, as was the food itself. This restaurant has certainly been better in past years, and though we'll probably try it again, given its convenient location, I fear it may be doing some laurel-resting, and that's a shame. This part of the cape needs its good restaurants!

2  Thank CapeTravellers