“Not really as good as they believe...”
Review of Five Bays Bistro

Five Bays Bistro
Ranked #3 of 18 Restaurants in Osterville
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of one of the most picturesque villages on Cape Cod, Five Bays Bistro offers modern yet classic food and atmosphere worthy of a major city. The Bistro serves award winning contemporary new American cuisine, with a more casual small plates menu at the bar.
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We've been disappointed in Five Bays on both of the two occasions we've dined there in the past several months. The dining room, though divided in two distinct sections, is also right on top of a generally hoppingly noisy bar, and the soundproofing is quite absent...so it's always tough for conversation, even when the room isn't full. Then there's the less-than-friendly, one might almost say, offhanded, approach of the wait staff..(unless, I suspect, one is seen as one of the regular Ostervillians who seem to be the majority of diners.) The real letdown, however, is the menu. Though lately touted in "Edible Cape Cod" as inventive and locavore, the cuisine was quite average during our visits. The wine list, though extensive and wide-ranging, was overpriced, as was the food itself. This restaurant has certainly been better in past years, and though we'll probably try it again, given its convenient location, I fear it may be doing some laurel-resting, and that's a shame. This part of the cape needs its good restaurants!

2  Thank CapeTravellers

Reviewed July 3, 2012

I have not had a bad meal in Five Bay --- EVER! Kate and her tribe took care of us on Wednesday night. Everything came out perfect, and the tribe was quite attentive to our needs. Thank you all for a great time.

Reviewed May 12, 2012

We have always had the absolute BEST food, combined with the best casual service at this restuarant, and go out of our way when we are in town to dine here.

The atmosphere is crisp and easy, and has the right light up-scale feel, without a shred of pretense or stuffiness or strained effort at the delivery.

Food has always been dependably special, sometimes slightly different and just delectable.

We cannot imagine ever being disappointed driving the 40 minutes to escape Falmouth to enjoy this venue!

Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband and I have visited Five Bays Bistro multiple times on Mondays, we like Monday's in order to avoid busier crowds because we like a seat at the bar. The hostess and bar service are always very friendly (we have sat at a table once and had great service too). I have tried the cucumber jalapeno martini which was spicy but delicious, but I normally opt for a cabernet which is very good for the price also. We love all the smaller plates portion of the menu! We always start with the shrimp flatbread. It is great! It is super flat and crispy, exactly how I like it! Then I either have the Thai shrimp or the chicken risotto, both amazingly DE-LISH and very substantial meals for the prices. I am not a huge dessert fan so I can't comment on the desserts but I love the espresso machine! It makes a mean double espresso. I can't wait to have a steady Monday night baby sitter to resume my nice date out in the lovely town of Osterville and 5 Bays!

Reviewed December 10, 2011

People are overly critical of restaurants on Cape Cod without being cognizant of the seasonal challenges they face. Most successful are the mediocre chains because the average Cape visitor and year round resident fit the same demographic.

Staying open year round is difficult and clientele is unpredictable.

I live in LA and SF and have another home on the Cape. I am used to the variety and quality these foodie meccas offer. I find Five Bays an exceptional choice for the Cape. The menu is simple but inventive and the quality of the dishes is far above most Cape fare.

Not cheap and not Olive Garden. You get what you pay for in the context of where you are and when you go.