“Disappointed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Jailhouse Tavern
Ranked #27 of 56 Restaurants in Orleans
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

I have been going to the Jailhouse for years and each year, I become more and more disappointed. Although the atmosphere is nice, the quality of the food has gone downhill.

2 Thank Teacherguarino

Glastonbury, Connecticut
“Came highly recommended, but was disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

The Old Jailhouse Tavern was highly recommended by a friend who used to live in Orleans, but unfortunately, it was a disappointment.

We were a party of 5. We called ahead and they were able to seat us within 30 min of our call. And that was nice. However after being seated, our waitress swung by, took our drink order, and after returning with the waters, said she'd be with us in a few minutes - I'm used to the term "moments" be used here, but when she said "minutes", she meant it. We didn't see her again for almost 10 minutes. She took our order, but appeared quite harried. I actually felt bad taking up her time! Maybe they were understaffed that night...

Anyway, we ordered two wedge salads, a shrimp cocktail, a salmon dinner, a french dip sandwich, and a lobster dinner. The shrimp in the shrimp cocktail were soft and bland. Nothing to write home about, and a waste of money. The wedge salads were messy looking. The lettuce was lopsided and loose, and the dressing, tomatoes, and bacon were just sort of dumped over it. It's a simple salad, but that doesn't mean they can't be made to look appealing, and not like a clump of iceberg with some other stuff thrown on top. The bread of the french dip sandwich was dry. but the meat cut was good. The salmon dinner was given a good review by my nephew. I had the lobster dinner. It was definitely overcooked. For $30 it should be perfect. It was not. The meat was on the side of tough and chewy, and had that overdone smell. I was not dying to dig in when it was placed in front of me. Frankly, I really should have sent it back. The ear of corn that came with it was wonderful (small kernels, very sweet; I'm guessing local) and cooked just right. The baked potato was perfectly average.

The waitress came and scooped up plates, including my bowl for the lobster shell bits, before we were really ready. To be fair, she really seemed overworked, and it was late when we arrived. But to be fair to us, the ones shelling out money to be there, she shouldn't be in that position. We should feel relaxed and not a burden to our waitress. ...

In any case, we were not especially happy with the experience. The food was average to disappointing (save for the salmon dinner), the atmosphere was nothing special (I felt no novelty at sitting in what used to be a jail; I barely even remembered that fact until we were leaving), and the service was hurried and tense. At this point, I would not go back, nor would I recommend anyone stopping there for dinner.

2 Thank Barbara M
plattsburgh, ny
“Many things have changed but this building hasn't.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

We used to eat here as a family frequently on our trips to the Orleans area but had not done so for a couple years as it had gone down hill. We heard that the restaurant was under new ownership and decided to try it again. We were a little concerned that 9 people could walk in at 7PM for dinner without a reservation in the height of the tourist season. That ususally means that something is wrong in my opinion. We were pleasently surprised. Food and drinks were very good. We tried the clam pie, chicken salad and fried fish and several others. All were very good and the prices reasonable.The service was good and the although the atmosphere is not trendy it is fine. We all agreed we would go back

3 Thank carmelarose
“New ownership- worth trying again but I'm not wowed yet”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

I am an Orleans resident and have watched it from when it began. Now under new management, I feel it's worth giving it another try. I can see they are trying to make changes- the menus are laminated, (hope they put some new dishes on it eventually). It was packed when I went in so that is a good sign. All three of our party's dishes were tasty. I say it's worth giving The Jailhouse another try.

1 Thank Whacktoria
Chatham, Massachusetts
“Several good points, but still average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Saturday night at 6:30, four adults and three children and no wait, that was a surprise. Friendly and prompt service. Clam chowder was very good, my wife had veal dish which she said was excellent and apparently is quite popular. I had swordfish which was okay. Certainly nothing wrong with the place, but nothing that stands out either. Good standby that will likely revisit.

Visited July 2013