“Such a disappointment!”

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Route 28
Transit: There is limited Public Transportation in our area.
Reviewed September 18, 2007

We went to this restaurant expecting great food -- the chef’s name was on the sign, the menu looked great and the food was priced accordingly. We were stunned by how bad it was. The waitress didn’t tell us what they were out of until after we’d ordered it; we needed a little more time to choose something else, but not the lengthy stretch she gave us; she had to ask again what we’d ordered because she couldn’t read her own hand-writing; the bread basket was long in coming, contained three small, lonely rolls and it was cleared before we’d each had one; the croutons in the caesar salad were out of a box; the haddock special was flavorless and tasted like a frozen diet meal; the tomato sauce on top of the unidentifiable, flavorless vegetable tasted like it was out of a jar; the shrimp were overcooked; we waited ages between courses despite the place’s being almost empty and our entrée plates sat in front of us for a very long time after we’d finished; they were out of their special, must-try dessert, but we weren’t told until after we’d ordered it; the crème brulee was not a custard, but simply vanilla pudding with a crust; and the coffee was the worst we had ever tasted. We heard the waitress tell the table behind us that their coffee would be just a little while, because they were making a new pot, and we suspect the pot we finished had been on the warmer all day. Dinner for 3: 2 hours and $150 and not one item was fresh, delicious, or flavorful in anyway. A memorable dining experience, but not in a good way.

3  Thank VermontHappyeater

Reviewed September 1, 2007

Last December (2006) we had lunch there. Wow! Great food in delicate portions, nice wine, knowledgeable staff. I really appreciated their recommendations.

And then my family of 6 went there on July 20, 2007.

Hmm.

No one really enjoyed their food all that much, very average. I can't speak for the rest, but I know that I expected a small bit of tasty lamb. I got several huge hunks of some unhappy old sheep.

The service was disappointing. The wine we ordered was out (that happens), but the replacement they pushed was crappy (OK, I should know win better, but I tend to trust). And one thing I HATE is when a waiter starts bussing the table when only half the diners are finished. Got somewhere important to go, pal?

My guess is that this restaurant is a fantastic local place, but unfortunately tries to market itself to the whales who come visit in the summer.

Plus, it probably has to hire extra staff to handle the whales, and it doesn't seem to be very lucky in its choices.

There is a lot good about the Academy Grill; I hope they sort themselves out.

Reviewed October 22, 2006

We expected great things at this restaurant based on published reviews. The food was average and the seating was cramped.

2  Thank Appleway_Farm
Reviewed September 19, 2006

The Academy Ocean Grille has a talented chef, and the food is generally excellent. However twice we ate there on a Wednesday night after Labor Day and both times found the service disappointing. The staff was cut to bare bones, and one young man hustled like crazy to fill the multiple roles of host, waiter, bartender, and whatever else needed to be done. During the meal, we had to wait for our water glasses to be refilled; after the meal, we had to wait for our dinner plates to be removed, not an appetizing sight while contemplating the dessert menu, and hardly what you'd expect from a restaurant with $$$ after its name.

Another negative- the two dinner rolls presented in the bread basket looked and tasted as if they had just been taken out of a plastic bag from the local supermarket. My first thought was to wonder whether this was the bread they normally serve. At the least those two little rolls should have been warmed and crisped. Also, nobody asked if we would like more bread, a courtesy offered by most better restaurants.( The answer if they had offered would have been -no thanks).

I would have liked to rate this restaurant 5 stars- Excellent; the kitchen certainly merits the top rating. However, service counts too. And by deliberately reducing staff on Wednesday nights in order to save a few dollars, the overall impression was not a 5-star experience.

1  Thank myrna-ann
Reviewed April 22, 2006

Very nice, quiet, good service, very good food. Interesting menu selections, good wine selection. Nice for a special dinner. Not a shorts and tee shirt place. Leave the kids home.