“Just OK”
Review of Orleans Inn

Orleans Inn
Ranked #34 of 57 Restaurants in Orleans
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Elegant waterfront dining in a Victorian Sea Captain's mansion.
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Got to the Cape for a few days of R&R with my late teens daughter, after a grueling summer of work for both of us. We have never been here, so had to get our bearings. Were hungry and wanted to sit by the water, which is the main reason we selected this place.
We kind of expected more of a fancy place from the description. The dining room was closed but they serve in the bar and on the deck outside. It is nice by the water, which is not ocean but an inlet with lots of little boats. No beach. The tables are those plastic green picnic tables and chairs; I have the same set in my backyard at home. No tablecloths, which is fine, just not your typical fine dining experience. The service was excellent, pleasant and fast. I had a glass of pinot grigio, which at $7.50 seemed like a deal after a summer of paying between $12 to $15 in Boston restaurants for a glass of wine that I can buy at the supermarket for $9 a bottle. We shared an app of crab cakes for $12 (alot of crab but I like them crispier, with a bland, overly sweet sauce) and a cesar salad for $6 (over-dressed, again with a bland, overly sweet dressing---no garlic that could taste, pre-packaged croutons, and pre-grated processed parmesan cheese). We also shared a lobster, which was yummy, served with lots of butter, asparagus only slightly over-cooked and a good pilaf. We had a regular bowl of ice cream for dessert. I think the prices reflect the food and milieu, if anything they're on the cheap side for being by the water. Most of the clientele are families with young kids and seniors, which might account for the bland food. All in all, an average dinner out while on vacation!

2  Thank telegirl68

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Orleans Inn is in an old building reputed to have ghosts, but the only spirits we found were in bottles. Seafood was great and the scenic setting overlooking the ponds was a great place to end the day.

1  Thank globofox
Waterfront, Owner at Orleans Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Thank you so much for this wonderful review. It is appreciation like yours that motivates the staff to continue serving our guests. It makes such a difference when occasionally we are faced with a difficult guest. You don't know how much we appreciate taking care of appreciative guests. Thank you.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

A great location in the heart of Orleans center right on the inlet, good solid food choices, nice drinks and bar area, never let us down for a, excellent dining experience, good with kids or a romantic meal (dine in the bar area, tables available for a no kids experience) or eat outside to watch a great moonlit night!

Waterfront, Owner at Orleans Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Thank you for the kind review. We try to offer something for everyone. It is so nice to see your appreciation of the Inn. It is guests like you that keep us motivated to continue striving for perfection. I bought the Inn for it's waterfront location. Our family is committed to providing the best possible experience for dining and lodging. It has been a great year. Thanks for your support.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Went with family of 5 including three young ones. Waitress and staff were friendly. Tables by bar area overlooking water were sticky and we were told that was the texture. Had them wiped down anyway, but no improvement. Appetizers included lobster bisque (ok), clam chowder (below average, not creamy enough and very little clam), a bacon/scallop mini pizza (decent, very cheesy), and fried calamari (ok, my 3 & 6 yr old wolfed this down). The apps were nothing great, just average. I had the baked scrod topped with honey bread crumbs which I thought was good. Kid's mac and cheese was Kraft which was fine for my 9 yr old. Chicken sandwich for wife was good. Chicken fingers were ok, fries were the best part of that meal. Kid's spaghetti & meatball just Ok. Drinks were served quickly. I drank beer which was nice and cold. Wife drank mixed berry drink that she liked. The view from the indoor bar area is pretty good. Only issue was the wall A/C unit was blowing on me the whole meal. Asked them to lower it, which they did 10 minutes later. Luckily I'm semi-polar bear so I beared it well. Dinner was 113.00 for 5, plus tip. Overall an average experience.

3  Thank CGSLMC
Reviewed August 12, 2012

the view is the best however the food is a bit too much- I was fine however this is not a place for young kids

1  Thank sme42929