“NASTY!”

Hunan Gourmet III
Ranked #50 of 57 Restaurants in Orleans
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Hadn't been there since the fire and one would have thought they would have taken that time to clean the place up. Same old tired booths, walls, etc. Even the air vents looked like they had soot damage still. And my shoes still stuck to the floor when I went to wash my hands in the ladies room. The food is nothing like it used to be-what a shame.We had the buffet for $11.95. The food wasn't very warm. The fried rice was colorless and flavorless.The crab rangoon and egg rolls were very greasy, the boneless ribs were mushy and flavorless. The only good thing on the buffet was the peel n eat shrimp. They have a "sushi" bar added and for dessert you can pick your ice cream out of the freezer-novelty stuff mostly-but we didn't go there for the dessert anyway. the staff used to be so friendly now they are just grumpy. We were very disappointed and won't be going back. Would rather spend a little extra and go to Dragon Lite.

There are newer reviews for Hunan Gourmet III

Reviewed September 6, 2012

This used to be one of my favorite restaurants, but it was sold a while back and the new owners changed everything. The new menu has no focus - every style of Asian taste is on it and all the recipes suffer from this overload. I stopped in several weeks ago for lunch. I had sweet and sour chicken (100% dark meat, possibly not chicken) and there were so many peppers it was hard to find the meat. The crab rangoon was disappointing; the fried rice was the only acceptable fare, but nothing special. The worst part is that I brought my leftovers home to share. Unfortunately, we also shared sweet and sour burps and stomach aches. Customers: eat at your own risk,

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Very disappointing buffet, not much selection but that isn't really an issue with me but even the buffet staples were disappointing Probably the worst crab rangoons I have ever had and that is saying a lot since I have a ton of experience with Chinese food consumption..

I wouldn't even comment on service since it was a buffet but we were greeted with a "so you know what you want?" which made me laugh and we never even got menus so we just went with the buffet which wasn't the original plan.

Plenty of options for Chinese but this place is not worth going out of the way and I wouldn't go back.

See the "bonvivantmarie" review since I can back it up with my experience also.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

The first time I went to Hunan III was almost 8 years ago and it was the best Chinese food I'd ever had. Since then they've had multiple new owners and managers and I think even a fire or two! Even during all of those things the food was always really good but not this most recent time. The food looked like it had been sitting around and was just thrown together and heated up. Nothing tasted like it had been cooked together in true Chinese food style. It seemed as though they had a bucket of broccoli, bucket of chicken, and various sauces and would just mix and heat them when time to serve. The combo dinner plates were almost $10/each. They came with a lot of food but unfortunately it wasn't a lot of good food.

The crab rangoons were VERY crabby(and I mean Krab, with a K.) Some people like them like this but I prefer more cream cheese and veggies over Krab overload. The boneless spareribs were one of the best items we got. One person in our party got the lo mein, not good at all. The noodles were an odd texture and the flavor was off. Someone else got beef with broccoli which was okay but again just seemed thrown together and bland. The chicken fingers were crispy but Hunan used to have this really light batter they made them in but that has changed to a thicker, heavier batter. The best thing in the meals was the fried rice which was still only pretty good, but better than everything else.

All-in-all I'll be trying another Chinese restaurant next time and just really sad that the old Hunan deliciousness has gone.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

Hunan is a longtime standby for me when the Chinese craving hits. The food is dependably good, the service excellent, and the prices reasonable.

On a recent visit, I had a combination plate of vegetable egg foo young, hot and sour soup, steamed white rice, and egg roll. The soup was deliciously spicy, the egg roll crunchy, and the egg foo young yummy, with a wonderful gravy. I only wish they had brown rice.

1  Thank Saltyblue