“It is Ok, but do not go out of your way”
Review of Hunan Gourmet III

Hunan Gourmet III
Ranked #45 of 56 Restaurants in Orleans
Cuisines: Chinese
Boston,Ma
“It is Ok, but do not go out of your way”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Very disappointing buffet, not much selection but that isn't really an issue with me but even the buffet staples were disappointing Probably the worst crab rangoons I have ever had and that is saying a lot since I have a ton of experience with Chinese food consumption..

I wouldn't even comment on service since it was a buffet but we were greeted with a "so you know what you want?" which made me laugh and we never even got menus so we just went with the buffet which wasn't the original plan.

Plenty of options for Chinese but this place is not worth going out of the way and I wouldn't go back.

See the "bonvivantmarie" review since I can back it up with my experience also.

• Visited July 2012

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very Disappointed”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

The first time I went to Hunan III was almost 8 years ago and it was the best Chinese food I'd ever had. Since then they've had multiple new owners and managers and I think even a fire or two! Even during all of those things the food was always really good but not this most recent time. The food looked like it had been sitting around and was just thrown together and heated up. Nothing tasted like it had been cooked together in true Chinese food style. It seemed as though they had a bucket of broccoli, bucket of chicken, and various sauces and would just mix and heat them when time to serve. The combo dinner plates were almost $10/each. They came with a lot of food but unfortunately it wasn't a lot of good food.

The crab rangoons were VERY crabby(and I mean Krab, with a K.) Some people like them like this but I prefer more cream cheese and veggies over Krab overload. The boneless spareribs were one of the best items we got. One person in our party got the lo mein, not good at all. The noodles were an odd texture and the flavor was off. Someone else got beef with broccoli which was okay but again just seemed thrown together and bland. The chicken fingers were crispy but Hunan used to have this really light batter they made them in but that has changed to a thicker, heavier batter. The best thing in the meals was the fried rice which was still only pretty good, but better than everything else.

All-in-all I'll be trying another Chinese restaurant next time and just really sad that the old Hunan deliciousness has gone.

• Visited May 2012
Orleans, Massachusetts
“Always good value”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Hunan is a longtime standby for me when the Chinese craving hits. The food is dependably good, the service excellent, and the prices reasonable.

On a recent visit, I had a combination plate of vegetable egg foo young, hot and sour soup, steamed white rice, and egg roll. The soup was deliciously spicy, the egg roll crunchy, and the egg foo young yummy, with a wonderful gravy. I only wish they had brown rice.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Saltyblue
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Good food, excellent prices”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Consistently good food, excellent prices, especially for lunch. Good service, clean place, you have to ask for extra spicing, as their Hunan dishes don't come tasting like real Hunan, more like Chinatown.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank DontStayInOnePlace
Lakewood Ranch, Florida
“Buffet is Great”
Reviewed April 21, 2012

They put the buffet back last year and this is good food at a good price.

Visited September 2011