“Addictive and Good!”

Hot Chocolate Sparrow
Ranked #1 of 2 Coffee & Tea in Orleans
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Takeout
Description: With the love of chocolate and a loan, we started The Chocolate Sparrow, a simple candy shop, in 1989 in North Eastham. Gradually we learned the art of making fine chocolate and the business of selling it. In 1991 we opened a summer shop in Wellfleet. Two years later in Orleans, we opened The Hot Chocolate Sparrow, a cafe complete with coffee from around the world, desserts of every indulgence, and our own hand-dipped chocolates. Here we could offer specialty coffee drinks in a sophisticated but welcoming atmosphere. We have grown into a local institution, open early morning to late night, every day of the year except Christmas. We created a place where people can connect. Our cafe is recognized Cape-wide, our chocolate is sent all over the country, and our coffee, desserts, and fudge have been voted #1 numerous times in various local surveys. No wonder we are recognized as "The Best on the Lower Cape."
Reviewed August 1, 2014

We went here several times recently for desserts, coffee, and tea. The baked desserts were even better than the ice cream (though the hot fudge was great!), while the Fair Trade coffee and (from Maine) hand-packed tea were both excellent. Seating is informal but cramped -- okay for us, but maybe an issue for people with limited mobility. Still, this is a fun place for couples or families. We highly recommend it!

Reviewed July 30, 2014

After a day of the beach and an evening of baseball, our group was ready for a tasty treat. We found a variety of treats at the Sparrow. Coffee, pastries, and ice cream satisfied everyone in the family. Open until 11 p.m. Inside and outside dining available. We picked up Yogurt Muffins for breakfast and fudge as well.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

I stopped at the Hot Chocolate Sparrow with some friends. I really wanted an ice cream cone or some sort of chilled coffee drink. I experienced the worst service ever, my friend said her hot chocolate was lousy, and the man taking orders was not helpful regarding my allergy. There was only one plus--the gluten free cookies.

I am allergic to tree nuts and I expected to come across a few issues, but I have never experienced such service regarding my allergy. At most ice cream parlors, soft serve ice cream is safe for my allergy. So, I decided to order it. And here is the conversation between me and the man at the cashier:

Me: Hi. I have a tree nut allergy. (I was about to give my order)
Him: So?
Me: Well, I wanted to make sure I can eat the ice cream here.
Him: What are tree nuts?
Me: Nuts. Almonds, Cashews, Pistachios, Pecans, etc.
Him: Okay then. What are you going to order?
Me: Soft serve chocolate ice cream in a cone please.

I looked at the sticky note the man was using to record the orders. He didn't even bother to mention my allergy. Who knew what could've happened to that cone? A woman could've made it after dealing with nuts or something. The people making the cone wouldn't even know to be careful.

I received my ice cream and refused to eat it. I didn't know if it would be safe for my allergy! My tree nut allergy is so severe that it can result in death and I didn't want to take any chances.

The food wasn't even good there, apparently! My friend ordered a white hot chocolate. She claimed it tasted almost like hot milk--bland with no chocolate flavor. What a waste of money!

I think there is outdoor seating, but it wasn't anything fancy. I believe there was just a bench or two, overlooking a parking lot and busy street. A lot of people were smoking there--another turn-off.

I'm surprised this place had long lines. Are people not aware of the grumpy staff and crummy food? I don't recommend this place, especially if you have an allergy. I will never step foot at this restaurant again!

*One of my other friends liked their ice cream, so maybe the hot chocolate was just bad. This place could be a lot better if they hired better employees.

1  Thank Hannah B
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

We spend a lot of time traveling to the Sparrow each summer. I think we even plan our days around a visit to this place. Everyone in the family has their favorite order - frozen mocha sparrow, mint chip ice cream, smoothie, lemon bar, etc. Now they even have excellent soups and sandwiches. And of course there's the chocolate counter.... This Orleans cafe is worth finding for breakfast, lunch or midday snack.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Starbucks, move over. This is the best coffee and chocolate anywhere. Try the frozen hot chocolate... yes, an oxymoron but a tasty one at that! The soups are great. It's crowded but the lines move quickly. It's where the locals hang out... I should know... I am one.