“A mixed experience”

Ranked #1 of 57 Restaurants in Orleans
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: As one of Cape Cod's most distinguished fine dining restaurants, the Captain Linnell House offers a series of intimate and romantic dining rooms in a former sea captain's home. A favorite among Cape Cod's wedding reception and rehearsal dinner venues, The Captain Linnell House is located in Orleans, MA around the corner from Skaket Beach, a picturesque setting for a Cape Cod beach wedding ceremony. This chef owned restaurant is celebrating it's 29th season. The Captain Linnell House offers expertly prepared classic fare - from appetizers of iced Wellfleet oysters on the half shell, to escargots and baby kale salad, to entrees of rack of lamb, grilled salmon, roast duckling, scrod n' parchment, and veal Milanese. A Prix Fixe Menu is offered from Mid-September to end of June. Enjoy three course dining of entrees such as Atlantic swordfish, Black Angus prime rib, roast duckling.
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This beautiful restaurant is in a historic house in a lovely setting. Dining in a place like this always feels like an event because of the attractive surroundings. It does feel like a good spot for a "special occasion" meal. They offer their meals a la carte or served in a prix-fixe format which is a good value.
The food, however, was less than special. My husband ordered swordfish and I ordered duck, but we both received the same side dishes: a scoop of mashed potatoes, a scoop of pureed butternut squash, and broccoli . These were plain and simple sides, but it was pretty disappointing to have the same things garnishing two very different plates. It felt like buffet food, dull and safe. It is economical for the kitchen, I'm sure, but less than thrilling for the diner.
Roasted duck is my favorite and I chose this restaurant because I saw it on the online menu. The dish was served with seasonal raspberry sauce. This sounded like it might be a nice change from the typical "a l'orange" sauce, but it was not. The sweet, dessert-like sauce overwhelmed the meat with sugar and needed something tart or acidic to cut through all that sweetness. It was delicious by itself, but I would have preferred to have it over a dish of ice cream rather than my main course.
Overall, I would say this is a conservative, old-fashioned kind of menu, and that probably makes most people happy. Portions were ample and the meat and fish were well-cooked, if unimaginatively served. But it just wasn't good enough. My over-sauced duck and the dense lumps of somewhat generic side dishes were just not all that great.
Desserts were handled well. They had a large variety of desserts and their prix-fixe menu included all of those offerings, which is a generous way of doing things. Many restaurants restrict you to three options rather than offer the full array to the economical prix-fixe diners..
This is a place for people who particularly like the idea of dining in a setting full of antique charm, and who prefer conservative choices. The place definitely has charm and the building is very appealing. But as for the food, it just didn't seem like anything special.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Took fiancé here for birthday dinner. Service, food and ambience were outstanding.
If you are looking for a quality dinner, great service, good food at a fair price, do not hesitate to book a dinner here.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Good preparation on a classic menu. Very generous portions and great service. The seafood pasta had a huge amount of lobster (at least a 2 pound lobster) all shelled so no work involved. All of the sauces were flavorful but not too heavy. The rack of lamb was prepared just as ordered and served with large side portions of mashed potatoes, broccoli and butternut squash.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

I wish I could give more than 5 stars. Our waiter Jeff was great, and the steak I had was the best I've ever eaten. Mom's scallops were excellent. Quiet, elegant, peaceful, generous portions of excellent food. Can't recommend this place enough.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

My family and I just returned home from a month on the Cape and found ourselves returning to the Linnell House three times for dinner. The ambiance and service are just the best we encountered during our stay, and the food is unbelievable. My husband is still raving about the wild Wellfleet oysters he enjoyed and after taking a judicious sampling around town can claim that the Linnell House bisque is the best! We both enjoyed nightly specials of locally caught fish, and the steaks and chops are also expertly prepared. We just can't wait to return!

1  Thank JLumcl