“Unfortunately food was awful”

Captain Linnell House
Ranked #1 of 57 Restaurants in Orleans
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: As one of Cape Cod's most distinguished fine dining restaurants, the Captain Linnell House offers a series of intimate and romantic dining rooms in a former sea captain's home. A favorite among Cape Cod's wedding reception and rehearsal dinner venues, The Captain Linnell House is located in Orleans, MA around the corner from Skaket Beach, a picturesque setting for a Cape Cod beach wedding ceremony. This chef owned restaurant is celebrating it's 29th season. The Captain Linnell House offers expertly prepared classic fare - from appetizers of iced Wellfleet oysters on the half shell, to escargots and baby kale salad, to entrees of rack of lamb, grilled salmon, roast duckling, scrod n' parchment, and veal Milanese. A Prix Fixe Menu is offered from Mid-September to end of June. Enjoy three course dining of entrees such as Atlantic swordfish, Black Angus prime rib, roast duckling.
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
“Unfortunately food was awful”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I have been in the past to this restaurant and food has been average but the service and setting has always been above.
We had a lovely table, good service, but I cannot think of one thing we had that was good..
I ordered lobster bisque a favourite of mine, and it came out like water and no taste except of salt.
The escargot were not in the shell but were floating in a gravy that again was tasteless except for the salt.My Filet Au Poivre was cooked correctly but the sauce again was all over the plate and tasteless. It was like the chef just did not let the bisque or the sauce cook enough and just made up some coloured water! The duck sauce seemed like a can of cranberry sauce had been mushed all over it. While I don't like giving such a bad review, I would be giving it an awful if it were not for the service and the drinks. Maybe it was just an off night.. They really do need to get their bisque and sauces correct however. It is a pricey place for sure and even if it were not I would not go back :(

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Polly N

Harwich, Massachusetts
“Excellent Dining”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The Capt. Linnell House provided a most enjoyable atmosphere and the meal was top shelf. $30.00 dinner specials during the winter months and there is no finer restaurant on Cape Cod

• Visited February 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Expensive Food Poisoning”
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Title "Expensive Food Poisoning" sums it up. Five of us went there for Thanksgiving dinner, and my husband, who had the swordfish, was up all night and the next day throwing up like I've never ever heard anyone else be sick like this before in my life. He was losing everything from way down in his toes all the way up every half hour to 45 minutes! We finally went to the dr's and they ran x-rays and blood tests to make sure it wasn't something else, but no....it was food poisoning. I called Captain Linnell's House right away to say, "Don't serve that fish." I left my number on their answering machine, and I thought I'd hear back from them, but not a peep.

I can only say that I'm glad the elderly members of our party steered clear of the fish, because the fish surely would've killed them! As it was, for over two weeks my husband wasn't able to hold down anything other than crackers, water, flat ginger ale, and broth. It's mid January now, and he's still not completely recovered.

I don't think I've ever written an unkind report on any of the restaurants, hotels, or other businesses we've experienced, because if I don't have anything nice to say, I prefer not to say anything. Our experience was extremely upsetting, and I felt obligated to report this.

• Visited November 2011
4 Thank didjawannago
Ma
“Great food and service. Can't wait to go back.”
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Beautiful old Sea Captain's home. It is a family business run with great attention to detail. Delicous food in a beautiful setting and excellent staff.

• Visited November 2011
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
“A Great Experience”
Reviewed October 7, 2011

We enjoyed a good meal with good service. The atmosphere was nice. Exactly what we expected when we read about the restaurant in Fodor's Cape Cod Guide.