“Expensive Food Poisoning”

Ranked #1 of 56 Restaurants in Orleans
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: As one of Cape Cod's most distinguished fine dining restaurants, the Captain Linnell House offers a series of intimate and romantic dining rooms in a former sea captain's home. A favorite among Cape Cod's wedding reception and rehearsal dinner venues, The Captain Linnell House is located in Orleans, MA around the corner from Skaket Beach, a picturesque setting for a Cape Cod beach wedding ceremony. This chef owned restaurant is celebrating it's 29th season. The Captain Linnell House offers expertly prepared classic fare - from appetizers of iced Wellfleet oysters on the half shell, to escargots and baby kale salad, to entrees of rack of lamb, grilled salmon, roast duckling, scrod n' parchment, and veal Milanese. A Prix Fixe Menu is offered from Mid-September to end of June. Enjoy three course dining of entrees such as Atlantic swordfish, Black Angus prime rib, roast duckling.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Expensive Food Poisoning”
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Title "Expensive Food Poisoning" sums it up. Five of us went there for Thanksgiving dinner, and my husband, who had the swordfish, was up all night and the next day throwing up like I've never ever heard anyone else be sick like this before in my life. He was losing everything from way down in his toes all the way up every half hour to 45 minutes! We finally went to the dr's and they ran x-rays and blood tests to make sure it wasn't something else, but no....it was food poisoning. I called Captain Linnell's House right away to say, "Don't serve that fish." I left my number on their answering machine, and I thought I'd hear back from them, but not a peep.

I can only say that I'm glad the elderly members of our party steered clear of the fish, because the fish surely would've killed them! As it was, for over two weeks my husband wasn't able to hold down anything other than crackers, water, flat ginger ale, and broth. It's mid January now, and he's still not completely recovered.

I don't think I've ever written an unkind report on any of the restaurants, hotels, or other businesses we've experienced, because if I don't have anything nice to say, I prefer not to say anything. Our experience was extremely upsetting, and I felt obligated to report this.

• Visited November 2011
4 Thank didjawannago

Ma
“Great food and service. Can't wait to go back.”
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Beautiful old Sea Captain's home. It is a family business run with great attention to detail. Delicous food in a beautiful setting and excellent staff.

• Visited November 2011
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
“A Great Experience”
Reviewed October 7, 2011

We enjoyed a good meal with good service. The atmosphere was nice. Exactly what we expected when we read about the restaurant in Fodor's Cape Cod Guide.

Rhinebeck, New York
“Dont Waste Your Time Or Money”
Reviewed September 5, 2011

My husband and I were not happy with the meal that we were served at the Captain Linnell House. We ate tastier meals at Arnold's. What a disappointment! So many people recommended this restaurant. We drove out of our way and wasted part of a beautiful day planning for this event. I thought it was going to be a very special experience. I don't even think the house was anything special so please do not waste your time. I really couldn't believe it. The food was mass produced , poor wedding food more like. Take my advice if you want a great meal with ambiance, then go to 28 Atlantic at the Wequesset Inn in north Chatham, it will be the best experience you could ever have!

• Visited August 2011
3 Thank Tanya_and_Brad
Rhode Island
“Not quite right, but pretty close.”
Reviewed August 26, 2011

The Captain Linnell House is beautiful from the outside, and in the perfect location for an after-dinner stroll along Skaket Beach. Once inside, however, it seems the restaurant needs to decide what it wants to be...

It's clear that it wants to be super-fancy fine-dining, but it's got quite a bit of Cape-ey Kitch that holds it back. The menu sounds exquisite, and although it's a high quality meal, it's not necessarily the finest actual food. Their waitstaff are incredibly nice and professional, however the woman who greeted us upon our entry appeared less professional and once again modeled the attempted (but not quite attained) level of "posh."

The prices are -expectedly- high, but the portion size matches the price. Unfortunately, the portions are just slightly too big for one-sitting, so you bring home about half of a decent leftover.

I highly recommend their Bourbon Lobster Bisque and the Iced Wellfleet Oysters. Their special of Breast of Duck in a sun-dried chery demi-glaze was decent, but not anything particularly unique. That seemed to be the theme with all the entrees my friends and I ordered - Good, but nothing amazing.

Overall - If you've got the money to blow, and want to feel somewhat fancy, then go to this restaurant.

NOTE: They are not very flexible with their menu, so if you are a picky eater/dish customizer, don't bother.

• Visited August 2011