“Perfect place for great food and upscale casual dining”

Mahoney's Atlantic Bar & Grill
Ranked #10 of 57 Restaurants in Orleans
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Description: Upscale dining in downtown Orleans. Historic building with a convivial, long bar, and a cozy dining room serving local seafood, prime beef, hearty salads, pasta and signature desserts.
boston,ma
“Perfect place for great food and upscale casual dining”
Reviewed July 17, 2009

My husband and I recently went to Mahoney's on a Friday evening on the Cape. We've been there many times over the years, and again were not disappointed! Even though the bar and restaurant were starting to get busy and crowded, we had excellent service from drinks through dinner. BTW...the bar really does serve an excellent drink. I had a Lemon Drop Martini which was not too sweet...really just the way I wanted it! Also, there's a nice selection of wines at pretty decent prices. I usually order the Grilled Lobster which is the BEST, but at the wait staff suggestion, I had a pasta special and was not disappointed. My husband had the Sole Almondine which he also enjoyed. In the past, we've also had the Ribs, as well as the roasted chicken----all of which were very good!
Love the ambience, food....the wait staff was very attentive.....the hostess stopped by to check on us during dinner as well.

Quincy, Massachusetts
“Food inconsistent & expensive; service is lousy”
Reviewed July 13, 2009

Not sure why the quality of the food changes - perhaps it depends on who's working the kitchen at the time?
The service varies between adequate and horrible, and it's easier to track down your server if you sit at the bar (mr. bartender can't go far).
Cost: It's expensive, considering the serving sizes and inconsistency.
Also, one night, we were joking with the waitress about something, and some heavy-set guy came over and gave us a hard time (the owner?). He's got a short fuse, didn't know the context of our innoucuous remarks and was a jerk.
I mean, I probably wouldn't have gone back, apart from getting a beer and appetizers at the bar, but now I'll never return.
You're better off at the Land Ho! or Yardarm (both within walking distance).

1 Thank lionhound
Albany NY
“Overcharged and underfed”
Reviewed July 5, 2009

My husband and I had dinner at this restaurant Just before the 4th weekend. There were several couples with small children taking up the section of the seats near the windows. They seem to keep this section for people with kids. It was very, very dark in the remainder of the place. Our waitress was attentive at first, but less so as the meal progressed and the place began to fill up. My portion of cod was prepared very well, but seemed tiny. Salads were a la carte, so the miniscule entree and a salad came to $30. After I ordered one cup of coffee there was never an offer for a refill. There are so many GOOD resaurants that I wouldn't bother returning to Mahoney's -it's a poor value and nothing you couldn't get a Hearth and Kettle.

1 Thank maxbeachbum
Greenville, South Carolina
“Worst service ever!”
Reviewed May 26, 2009

Last year I wrote a review of this place, noting it was our favorite and we'd been a number of times. We went last Friday night for the first time this year. While the food was as good as ever - at least for those who had it - the service was appalling.
It started after our appetizers, when the waitress didn't show and let everyone's' glasses run long dry. We finally had to ask another staff member to get us fresh drinks.
Then, the waitress brought out three of the four dinners and disappeared. I thought my dinner would be along shortly but it wasn't, and neither was the waitress. Drinks again ran dry and she never showed up to check on things. When she finally appeared, I asked her to take my dinner off the bill; everyone else was finished by then. She looked at me and asked "What was wrong with it?". I told her "I never got it!".
She could have redeemed herself then; a comped round of drinks or something to appease us a bit. But instead she vanished once more. Never came back to ask if we wanted coffee or dessert. And we finally had to chase her down, literally, to get the check.
Yes, the food was good. But I can't believe this place would hire such a grossly incompetent waitress. We're pretty reluctant to go back or to recommend it to anyone else at this point.

4 Thank cttravlrs
Cape Cod
“my favorite restaurant on Cape Cod”
Reviewed April 26, 2009

We had yet another wonderful dinner at Mahoney's last night. The tuna sashimi is second to none. The NY strip steak was grilled to perfection and my wife raved about her roast chicken. Topnotch service, great advice on wine (all bottles are reasonably priced). No surprise -- the place was packed by the time we left.