“cranky customer”

Ranked #10 of 56 Restaurants in Orleans
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Description: Upscale dining in downtown Orleans. Historic building with a convivial, long bar, and a cozy dining room serving local seafood, prime beef, hearty salads, pasta and signature desserts.
Wellfleet, Massachusetts
“cranky customer”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I don't know ANY server that has worked in a" fine dining" establishment or any other kind of restaurant where the kitchen has failed to notify the servers that a food item was no longer available until long after the order was presented to the kitchen.Mistakes happen all the time in busy restaurant kitchens. This woman who claims to have been a server in her past has clearly forgotten this (where did SHE work?)
I have had Andala as a server .. several times in the past. She has been nothing less than accommodating every time. Mahoney's is ALWAYS a good time. Andala is a large part of that! (And I've been a server too.)

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank jane s

Boston, Massachusetts
“food still very good, nightmare waitress this time!”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We went to Mahoney's again this year since we had wonderful food last year as well as decent service.
This year though our server ruined our experience to the point that I barely enjoyed the really good food that they serve here.
Here is how it started: Our waitress - Andala - offered us beverages, then I told here we were ready to order, she said " I'll be right back". She took about 15! min to return to the table. With a fake, forced smile she asked us if we were ready. Sitting there for 15 min, however, made us think our options over, so we asked her some questions. She made recommendations, we ordered.
After we got our appetizers, and were half through ( so, approx. 30!!! min AFTER we placed the entree order), she returned, not even apologetic, just to inform us that " I wanted to let you know the entree dish you ordered is no longer available" ( she never said she was sorry, or anything like that!). --- I would like to mention I worked as a waitress in fine dining myself and know how this stuff works)---- so she just said " well the kitchen didn't let us know earlier". not even apologizing for letting us know THIS LATE?? Are you kidding me??
OK, I said " in this case I need a few more minutes as this was the only dish I was really interested in". She then simply turned around and walked away from the table without a word. (really???, ok, I already knew at this point she wasn't gonna get a good tip from me, even thought about not tipping at all, and note that I worked as a server before myself, so a former server thinking about not tipping should tell you something!)
After we had to waive to other servers a few times to get salt, olive oil, and even her attention (as she had completely abandoned the table!), she came back and I just ordered another appetizer, no entree.
I told her again " I wish you had told us a bit earlier that the entree we ordered over 30 min ago was no longer available".. Do you think she apologized for the mistake? or even offered us anything for the inconvenience? it would have been appropriate at this point to offer something " on the house". (it is not about the money, but the principle of good service!)--- she did NOT even feel bad, simply continued with her arrogant, dismissive, and fake forced smile and said "well it was a kitchen error". NOT one word of apology.
OK at this point I already told my boyfriend she would NOT get a tip more than an insulting 5% from me.
He pushed for 10%, I would have left 5% or less, if I was by myself.
I hope the management of this otherwise wonderful restaurant will realize that the way Andala treated us (in this extremely arrogant dismissive way with a fake forced smile) is beyond belief and not acceptable for a restaurant such as Mahoney's.
Should I ever come back to this place (and recognize Andala) as my server, I will sure ask for the manager right away and ask to be served by a different server. Under no circumstances would I dine with HER as a server again. Cheers!

• Visited April 2014
Ann M, Manager at Mahoney's Atlantic Bar & Grill, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Jami,
We apologize for running out of the entrée that you ordered- it was a very popular dish that evening. Your server was not aware that we had sold out of the Tuna Bolognese. This was a kitchen error that we will address. Andala, is a charming, highly experienced, very professional server. She, nor the manager who came to your table to apologize for the error, had any idea that you were so upset. Had we known, we would have done more to try to make it right for you.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“It was OK but not wauw”
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

We went with a group of 10. The staff was friendly but the food was not all wauw. They serve you lovely warm Bread with butter and this was very nice. A few of us had the fried calamari which were divine, the ravioli were overcooked, the grilled chicken breast wasn't grilled enough, the lobster was overcooked, the french fries were too fried and too extremely salty, the salmon wasn't good, the mashed potatoes were good! They have good wines, make delicious martini's and their desserts are extremely delicious. Would we go back? Don't think so..

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Nice food, and decent price”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

The bar looks good, and the food tastes good. Served by a bar man who seemed to know both his food and beer.

This isn't your typical pub grub type affair. It's good quality food, cooked and prepared well.

Millis, MA.
“The place to be in Orleans”
Reviewed April 9, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Solid menu with good food. Great atmosphere. The long bar is always lively. This is a great gathering spot.

Visited March 2014