“Best hotel experience in forever”
Review of Madison Inn

Madison Inn
Ranked #3 of 15 Oak Bluffs B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We've been staying at chain hotels for a while now, and what you don't realize is how impersonal your experience is until you stay someplace like the Madison Inn. We enjoyed our stay SO MUCH it was crazy. The location is fabulous, surrounded by fun things to do in Oak Bluffs, a short walk to a huge park and State beach, which had tons of shells and cool rocks, and a quick walk to the ferry terminal. While they do not have dedicated parking, there was plenty of loading room and then parking spots throughout town to use.

What I want to focus on, though, is how incredibly friendly the owner was. She has a background in interior design and told my husband that if someone asked for something more than a few times they just added it to the list of provided-amenities. For example she had apple fritter in the morning, along with coffee, granola bars, fruit and Twizzlers :) There is a fridge and freezer available to guests and the freezer has complimentary popsicles.... The 'bike room' serves multiple purposes - you can lock up your own bikes (or bikes you rent on the island) or choose from a ton of honor system items such as beach chairs, toys, umbrellas, coolers, and boogie boards. There is a back patio with multiple tables and chairs, as well as a front porch with chairs and small tables. For cooler evenings there is a small living room in the lobby with tables and chairs.

This was by far my favorite vacation we've taken in a long time and we were only there for a weekend! I am already looking into another reservation for the fall... We cannot wait to get back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank maddykelly

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Quirky little place, definitely not for those who prefer a huge cookie-cutter hotel. We stayed in room #2 which we had been warned was tiny. The room was probably only 7' X 9'. The double bed was flush against one wall. The in-room bathroom was a good size with a shower only. The room was spotless and the bed was comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. There is a small hallway off the lobby where coffee, tea, fruit and snacks are available all day. We grabbed some yummy pastries from Back Door Donuts to accompany our coffee in the morning and ate on the small private terrace off the lobby. The terrace has two tables and a couple extra padded seats and lovely plantings. The lobby itself is small with a couple upholstered chairs and a table where folks seemed to sit to used their laptops. The bookshelf had many board games and books. The staff were willing to hold our luggage before check-in and after check-out. However, we just placed the bags in an unlocked room off the lobby. We didn't have a problem but I wouldn't have felt safe leaving valuables in our bags. I loved that the Inn had beach amenities for use, even before check-in and after check-out. They had beach towels, chairs, umbrellas, boogie boards, sunblock and small coolers. There was also a room where rental bikes could be stored if necessary. Parking may be an issue but we didn't have a car so I didn't pay attention. The Inn is a short walk from the ferry and easy walking distance to stores, restaurants, car and bike rental, etc. We are looking forward to our next visit!

Room Tip: We stayed in room #2 which we had been warned was tiny. The room was probably only 7' X 9'...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Madison Inn for our 1 year Anniversary in June. We were super satisfied with everything about the The Madison Inn from top to bottom, start to finish! The ambiance and style of the Inn was very sweet, quaint, quiet and charming. The staff was very attentive, polite and welcoming.

Our room was very, very clean and well-kept (as was the entire Inn from what we could tell!). We stayed in Room #2 which is located immediately to the right at the top of the main staircase. This room included one double-size bed which was super comfortable for my husband and I. The pillows and bed linens were very soft, comfortable, clean and of good quality (they smelt wonderful, too!) - we did not feel like we were sleeping in "someone else's bed" at all... it felt like home! We woke up in the morning feeling very well-rested. This room has it's own AC unit which we loved as it allowed us to control the temperature of our room.

When it comes to hotels, etc. I am very picky about the condition of the bathrooms! This one gets an A+ in my book!! The bathroom in this room is very cute! It was recently renovated and has brand new tiles (so CLEAN! & no moldy spots, not even in the floor corners). It has a nice-sized window that lets a lot of natural light in (with an adjustable shade) and it has a stand-up shower (no tub). There is a blow dryer and 36ml bottles of body wash, shampoo & conditioner provided (the brand is Sprout Out - organic!). The quality of the bath towels and wash cloths were very satisfactory as well. I was impressed and overly-satisfied with the bathroom.

The room includes a small dresser with a fold down desk on top and a couple of shelves (I also loved how they provided a small basket filled with complimentary bottles of water and Cape Cod chips). There are clothing hooks on the wall (with hangers, too!). There is a fabric chair, small night stand with storage and a TV in this room as well. There are two frosted windows with curtains and one floor lamp for lighting. There is also a full-body mirror on the back of the door.
--This room is on the small side but was perfect for my husband and I as we were truly only in the room to sleep, shower, etc. When you're in Martha's Vineyard, you don't spend much time in your room!

The Madison Inn is in a GREAT and convenient location! It is only a few steps from all of the shopping and restaurants.

The Inn provides snacks, coffee, tea and water around the clock (and a community refrigerator for Madison Inn guests). They also provide beach towels, coolers and beach toys at your convenience.

We were SO happy with our choice to stay at The Madison Inn. It was so much more than we expected and such a pleasant experience. When we come back to Oak Bluffs, we'll be staying at the Madison Inn - every time!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My friend and I stayed here one night. It's a great location, delightful inn and wonderful hosts. They were so helpful in helping to book us flight tickets, preparing information and supplies, and just giving a feeling of overall hospitality. Loved the snacks and Keurig, and the after hours line was great. The courtesy car (Rolls Royce) was fantastic fun. If I owned a B&B, I'd want it to be like this! I don't think you will regret staying at the Madison Inn!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed at the Madison for three nights the weekend before Memorial Day, so we really got the best of the island (nice weather, everything open) without the crowds. The Madison Inn was a brilliant place to stay, a short walk from all attractions as well as being so comfortable, friendly and homey. The Madison was actually the first place we felt homesick on our trip as it reminded us so much of our family beach house back in Australia. Mary and Blanche were so lovely, helpful and considerate, even down to organising a little 'beach and lobster-eating' pack for us to take with us when we mentioned we were going to Larsen's Fish Market (I don't know how we would have managed without it!). The apple fritters in the morning we delish, and fresh from the infamous Back Door Donuts just one minute up the road which my husband and I shamefully visited more than once during our trip - it was totally worth it though! The cookies, tea, coffee, fruit and muesli bars available throughout the day were also great. Looking forward to getting back to MV at some point as for us it was one of the highlights of our trip, truly a special part of America.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and our two daughters stayed in room #6 for 3 nights during the Memorial Weekend. Madison Inn’s location is perfect, a few minutes walk to the ferry, beach, shops, bus stops, restaurants, and beautiful gingerbread cottages. The room was a good size, nice, clean, and well stocked with towels and toiletries. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Snacks, fresh fruits, coffee, tea are available through the day and warm cookies in the afternoon. Madison Inn also has extra umbrellas, coolers, beach towels, and totes for the guests to take to the beach. Wi-Fi in our room was a little weak but in the lobby was fine. The rates were reasonable and I highly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I can't think of a better place to stay in Oak Bluffs. Right in the mist of everything, close to the ferry. The service and attention to little extras was welcome ( As real wine glass for your wine).
Blanche was a pleasure and so very knowledgeable about everything on the island. My stay was essentially business and I need to make my clients happy. If they are happy I am happy. I will certainly bring them to the Madison house again. Pat

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
#2 of 4 in Edgartown
Isabelle's Beach House
Isabelle's Beach House
#4 of 15 in Oak Bluffs

Been to Madison Inn? Share your experiences!