“Outstanding restaurant in Oak Bluffs”
Review of Sweet Life

Sweet Life
Ranked #14 of 55 Restaurants in Oak Bluffs
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Sweet Life Cafe serves seasonal, modern cuisine in a beautifully restored Victorian home, right in the heart of Oak Bluffs. Enjoy our twinkle-light adorned garden patio or dine in one of our newly painted and decorated dining rooms. We have a carefully curated wine list featuring both familiar and unique wines from around the country and across the world. We offer a full bar and a cocktail menu that focuses on classics with a twist. Our 6-course chef's tasting menu changes daily and is perfect for the adventurous and/or indecisive eater. The Sweet Life also offers a lovely setting for rehearsal dinners, weddings and special occasions.
Reviewed July 2, 2014

This is my new favorite restaurant. My reaction to their new chef is, Wow! We just had an outstanding dinner at Sweet Life Cafe, Oak Bluffs. There were five in our party and we all got different apps and entrees, so we had a pretty complete sample of the menu, and of course traded bites. Everything was delicious,and reminded me of the food I ate while living in Southern France for six years. It wasn't that the menu had a lot of French dishes (though it did have great bouillabaisse, for example). It was the way the food was cooked: everything was fresh, cooked just right, not fussy, just excellent. It reminded me of the food cooked by my 70-yr old landlady in Nice, or the food I ate in Michelin one star restaurants. The service was efficient and pleasant, although the restaurant filled up fast when we were there. There was a pause between our order and between courses, but that's normal when food is cooked to order in real time. The smoked fish platter, oysters, bouillabaisse and pasta with fresh peas apps are great, as are the halibut, pork cheeks, scallop and ravioli entrees. Apps are around $12-$18 and entrees around $32 to $38, but I'd rather spend an extra ten bucks and get food that's way, way better than what I usually get when eating out in nice restaurants, or can make myself at home, although I've been cooking pretty well for forty years.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Sitting on the terrace eating dinner was a delightful experience. Service could use a little work but the food is fabulous if a little pricey. One of our party had the scallops for a main course which was delicious but, come on guys, $34 for a dish containing 2 scallops is a bit steep - they were large scallops, still. The menu is really innovative and all dishes at our table were perfectly prepared.

2  Thank Suzicle
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We had tried to have dinner at Sweet Life Cafe many times, but were never able to get a table because it is so popular. Last night, a Sunday night and Father's Day, we finally got a table and it was also Restaurant Week on Martha's Vineyard, so they had a special $45 three-course menu, as well.

The restaurant is very charming, set in French Second Empire style house on Circuit Avenue at the end of the strip. We arrived a half hour early but were cheerfully accommodated. Fortunately, we had the private dining room (the one where President and Mrs. Obama dine whenever they eat here) all to ourselves. We were offered an outdoor table but the inside was far more elegant, simple and beautiful, with stark walls and chandeliers (and a little too loud music; personally I would have preferred some light orchestral music to the rock-y/folks-y music that was playing).

Our waiter, Ari, was charming and efficient. We opted to dine off the a la carte menu since neither of us eat dessert, so we thought the portion size might be larger on the a la carte menu and we were hungry. He had great knowledge of the menu and preparation, which really helped us make our selections.

The first offered us an amouse bouche of Gruyere Cheese ball deep fried and savory. Then I had the North Tabor Farm Greens, which were so fresh, it tasted like sunshine. The salad was served with cukes, grapes, pickled onion, kalamata olives, feta, crispy chick peas and lemon-thyme vin. It was fabulous ... perfectly dressed and seemingly endless. My spouse had the hand-rolled Garganelli pasta in a pea puree served with snap peas, bread crumbs, parsley and botarga which was magnificent! Then, for the entree, I had the Beef Tenderloin served with smoky potato and three delightful onion rings. My spouse had the Pan-Seared Halibut with grilled corn risotto, salsa verde and tomato conserva. This, too, was absolutel perfection.

Ari, continually stopped back to check on us and was affable and a lot of fun.The young woman who was the hostess was lovely, cheery and she also stopped back to check on us, see we had water and everything else we needed.

After practically sopping up our plates, we decided we were sated and asked for a cup of coffee. Ari insisted on brewing a fresh cup and I am so glad he did. The coffee was one of the richest, smoothes cups I have ever had.

Only because it was a Sunday night could we ever have enjoyed our dinner in such serenity without a single soul in sight or earshot.

We absolutely loved our dinner and are only sorry we waited so long to try Sweet Life Cafe. We will be back!

2  Thank wpdesousa-mauk
Reviewed June 15, 2014

food was excellent and located across from the Oak Bluffs Inn which made the choice easy. The food was excellent and was served in a relaxed atmosphere. We understand it is Obama's favorite place to dine.

1  Thank sue2sons
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I'm an event planner and have never visited MV. My client had invited 6 of her friends to the Vineyard for a long weekend to celebrate her 50th Birthday with her. They were looking for a special place to have dinner on their final night. I found Sweet Life on the internet and coordinated over the phone with Alex, the Manager, for a memorable dinner. My clients just returned home and RAVED about the food, the ambiance and the experience in general. The restaurant made the birthday girl feel like a queen. I will DEFINITELY use them again!!!

2  Thank Kathryn A