“Really disappointed with the poor quality of our private tour”

Martha’s Vineyard Tours and Transportation
More attraction details
Owner description: Tour Martha's Vineyard in a 14 passenger, a/c touring van. Fully narrated by local, knowledgeable, and friendly guides. Our famous one hour tour, or, a 2.5 to 3 hour tour, which covers the entire island with great stops at the clay cliffs of Aquinnah and the working fishing village of Menemsha. See lighthouses, historic whaling captain homes from the 1800's on the streets of Edgartown. Enjoy Oak Bluffs, a Victorian style summer resort built around the historic Methodist Campground. We also offer 2 hour and customized tours.We travel to many places the "tour bus" cannot go....Martha's Vineyard Transport is the original van tour company, and now its seems Martha's Vineyard Excursion (ex neighbor employee) .not only copied are business plan, but also our ad picture of the van at the East Chop lighthouse..
Hartford, Connecticut
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Really disappointed with the poor quality of our private tour”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

Unfortunately our tour guide did a fairly poor job of giving us the tour that we asked the owner for and than asked him for. We’ve taken/sent guests on the cheaper school bus tours probably 6-8 times in the past, and every one of those tours provided MORE information with a better VARIETY of topics. We told our tour guide that without being seedy we wanted to know about celebrities as well as history of all kinds and to see the scenic sights. He pretty much just told us about things he is interested in (plants, conservation, real estate stuff, etc.). He was a nice person, but not well suited for giving tours, especially tours where we’re paying almost double the cost of a better quality bus tour. I hope you will consider our feedback and make things better for future clients of yours. We won’t be coming back to your company.

6 Thank Scott W
ronminkin, Owner at Martha’s Vineyard Tours and Transportation, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Martha's Vineyard Transport and tours caters to a somewhat more sophisticated clientele that is more interested in learning about the present day Vineyard and "how we got to where we are" . as Arthur R. Railton put it in The History of Martha's Vineyard...
What puzzle us is Scott's assertion that the tour didn't cover the Island's history or visit the scenic highlights. Our tours visit the Gay Head Cliffs and lighthouse and all of the other scenic highlights that the buses visit. In addition, we go to places the buses don't, such as the spectacular views of the Edgartown lighthouse, Harbor and Chappaquiddick Island, our vans travel through the narrow streets of Edgartown by the Historic Whailing Captains houses with their wonderful gardens, we travel by the East Chop lighthouse, and see the historic Victorian summer homes built in the late 1800's, and visit Menemsha the working fishing village on the north shore of the island-all these places no buses allowed.....
As for history, our tours start with the arrival of the glaciers and cover the next 20,000 years, finishing with a discussion of the Island today...not in too much details...Along the way we cover pre-European Wampanoag Indians,the arrival of the first Europeans and the unique history of
the six island towns..
If you are interested in alot of celebrity gossip to make up for the lack of scenery the bus tours are a fine way to go. If you are interested in a more sophisticated understanding of Martha's Vineyard and its history, and to see the beautiful scenery of our island, we respectfully suggest that the personalized service you receive from Martha's Vineyard Transport and tours is a better option.

“The Vineyard in An Afternoon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

We had an outstanding tour from this company for our first visit to Martha's Vineyard. We were picked up at a restaurant in Oak Bluffs for a three-hour tour of all the Vineyard's towns and attractions. Our driver, Gary, was most knowledgeable. We saw and learned a lot in a short period of time. Gary let us set the pace, which made it truly enjoyable. Hire M.V. Transport and Tours, ask for Gary as your tour guide, and you can't go wrong.

Visited October 2012
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Terrible....Ron was extremely RUDE!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

I called to schedule a tour based on a brochure my hotel (Holiday Inn, Hyannis) gave me. The brochure stated: "...$35 per person..." Ron answered the phone and after I refrenced the brochure given he rudely stated - extremely rudely: "...THE HOTEL GAVE YOU A TWO YEAR OLD BROCHURE...THEY SHOULD NOT BE GIVING OUT OLD INFORMATION!" I couldn't believe how rude and unprofessional Ron treated me -- a potential customer -- who planned to spend a lot of money! I politley questioned Ron about his rude attitude and he doubled down...I am double amazed!

9 Thank apabg9511
ronminkin, Owner at Martha’s Vineyard Tours and Transportation, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Hi, I received a call... the reviewer said I yelled at him about an old rack card.. no.why would I.... I told him it was a few years old, and we only have private tours... I had to explain that we only do private tours for $80 per hour.. but he did not want to except this as an answer...he wanted me to honor the old rack card, and told him I could not do this tour which has not been offered in a year or two... he started in about $35.00 2 people is a good start.. I once again explained we only do private tours... he then hung up the phone ... 5 minutes later he called, and started in about wanting to do the tour, and then I asked him what doesn't he understand about private tours only... and he hung up the phone again... very rude person.
.I emailed him, and he said when I asked the question if he understood the words private tours.he lost it....this was after one time he hung up , and then called back. and then asked about shared tours... and then he hung up on me again... Then he reported me for being rude...
Overland Park, Kansas
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“MV Island Tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

First, the good - Richard and the tour company were quite friendly, knowledgeable and experienced in getting us to the island highlights. Second, the not so good - I've heard about MV all my adult life and frankly, it's just not all that interesting to me. Of course the next person might think it's heavenly - just a matter of personal taste. Nevertheless, I'm glad we (7 from KC) went and glad we used Tours & Transport.

Dallas, Texas
“Gary was our awesome one-hour tour guide!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Gary was our very friendly, professional, and knowledgeable driver who made my family's one hour tour of MV extremely enjoyable, relaxing, and informative. The time passed by too quickly because of all the amazing sites and facts he shared about this breath-taking island. On my next trip, I definitely want to take the 3 hour tour with him. I highly recommend Gary and MV Transport and Tours!