“Awful Stay. Don't Do it!!”
Review of Island Inn

Island Inn
Ranked #7 of 15 Oak Bluffs B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 28, 2010

I rarely have negative comments to post, that being said, I would not stay at the Island Inn again. In fact I don’t know how the hotel can in good conscience rent out the first floor rooms let alone charge $220 a night!!. Management is well aware of the problem and they have had numerous complaints (heard this from the front desk staff). You WILL be woken up by the tenants above you walking around. If you are unfortunate enough to have children in that room, you will be miserable!! The townhouse suite above our room had a spiral metal staircase directly over our bed. Spiral staircases are notoriously noisy even when trying to be quiet. 4 children running up and down the stairs well you can imagine….

My wife and I chose to visit Martha’s Vineyard for our anniversary. We wanted to stay at a romantic B & B. Believing that the main tourist season was well over and waiting for Hurricane Earl to pass, we booked our stay 2 weeks before our anniversary. Mistake. Everything was booked in Oak Bluff with the exception of the Island Inn. That should have been a hint.

We stayed in room 37 in Building G, the ground floor. The building has two levels of rooms with the second floor rooms set up as two level townhouses. The building is well maintained with recent paint. The room was clean though the layout is somewhat unusual. The bedroom in the two room layout is closest to the hall. The walls appear very thin with little insulation or soundproofing, particularly the ceiling. We were woken up the first morning at 7 am. For the next 90 minutes the kids ran up and down the stairs. It was just short of being inside a bass drum. I called the office several times and at 8 am finally reached someone and was told there were no other rooms available. We made the best of it and started our anniversary a little early. We came back from the beach and took a nap at 5:30 and were awoken at 6 pm. Sunday, as we expected, no alarm was necessary. The day started at 7:20 with the pitter patter of 4 sets of feet running up and down the stairs. At check out I spoke to the front desk staff who listened to my complaints. They nodded agreement, and in perfect customer service fashion, apologized for a known problem. If only I had known in advance. Unless the Management undertakes a major renovation to sound proof the downstairs units, no one should rent a first floor unit!! Please be forewarned.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mrbodywork

Reviewed September 1, 2010

Booked 2 nights at the Island Inn in the townhouse room #49.
Very Clean, large enough for 5 of us. Convenient, toaster, microwave oven fridge, air conditioned, tvs. wifi but a very slow connection. Nice pool, Close to Oaks bluff but would recommend a car because it would be inconvenient to take a taxi everywhere. The Best beach is a 15-20 minute drive to South Beach very clear clean water and soft clean sand.
The activity is all on circuit ave 5 minutes away. I will be coming back to stay in the townhouses. I don't recommend staying in the rooms below ours. It must get noisy with the children above.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Pamela1971-2010
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I have to say I disagree with the older posts. We have stayed at the Island Inn in August for the past three years. It has always been clean, with a well equipped kitchen. This past year we upgraded to a townhouse - I can say nothing but "FABULOUS". Pool was great we cooked outside a few nights and really had the best time. I guess it all depends on who you are vacationing with.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2009

we needed a room for the night. for two adults, a teen and a preschooler. the room layout was awkward - twin beds in between the sofa and kitchen without a wall inbetween? - the bathroom right off the kitchenette was unpleasantly situated, it was dark and gloomy with no privacy. thin sheets. musty smell. glasses and plates that smelled unwashed in the kitchenette. it felt like a motel at hotel prices. but there are a few tennis courts and tennis pros in residence, which seems bizarrely our of kilter with our seedy motel experience - maybe some rooms have been upgraded and our cell block was not - ? we were in room 37, so skip that at all costs. good location near the beach and town, ample car parking, but you know - it was just crap. no-one asked us how our stay was as we checked out, smart move on their part. we were just glad to go.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank lilfella
Reviewed July 16, 2009

My husband, myself and close friends stayed at the Island Inn and we enjoyed ourselves. The Inn keeper Mr. Tipton was wonderful. He was very pleasant and helpful. The room (condo suite) was clean and well equipped The living room furniture was a little dated but very "Vineyardy"! Although the weather did not always cooperate we were still able to use the pool. The pool area was very well kept and very pretty. We would certainly visit the Island Inn again. The restaurant next door The Mediterainian was great too!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mmvy
Reviewed July 12, 2009

We had our wedding reception on the grounds of the Island Inn under a big tent. We also had all of our guests (120+) stay at the Inn as well. It was amazing. Every single person I talked with told me how much they loved the hotel and how great the grounds were. There was a beautiful pool, clay tennis courts, a horseshoe pit and a great picnic/BBQ area. The rooms were all unique and catered to a large variety of needs. Every room had a kitchenette complete with full fridge and stove. Some rooms had an upstairs loft that was amazing and they all had a small porch in front where you could enjoy the quiet outdoors after a long day at the beach or out in town.

It's location is PERFECT, situated less than a mile from State Beach, a mile outside of downtown Oak Bluffs, and about 2 miles outside of Edgartown. It is convenient to the bus routes to Oak Bluffs and Edgartown, so you don't even need a car to stay there and al of the taxis knew exactly where we were going when we gave them the name of the hotel.

We had an amazing time at the Island Inn and will be going back in the future!

P.S. GREAT for pet owners too

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank robmv03
Reviewed January 12, 2009

This place must be empty a lot. That would be the only reason there aren't multiple negative reviews of this place. My original title was "stay here if you want to risk getting a Staph infection" but then thought that was a little too harsh. Anyway, stayed here over Columbus Day weekend 2006 (still remember it like it was yesterday) only because we wanted to stay 1 night and this is literally the only place on the island that I could find that would take less than 2 nights on a holiday weekend. I know the island well and usually stay in Edgartown. I travel A LOT. I travel almost full-time for my job and my husband and I take a vacation every other month. I am very familiar with Circuit Ave so I should have known better but I really had no idea a hotel could be this bad. I would have gone home and eaten the cost but by the time we went to the hotel we missed the last Island Queen.
I will try my best to keep this brief but I have so much to say. I had to purchase Lysol Wipes so that I could clean the bathroom in order to use it. I used nearly the entire container and the wipes were still coming up filthy. When I made the reservation they made sure to tell me that the room had "cable tv and HBO" but the TV in the room was broken. I spoke to management and I was offered a bottle of "low carb" wine for my troubles - you must be kidding me. The room smelled like a bottle of bleach was dumped on the bed - I don't even want to guess at what they were trying to cover up. We slept on top of the nasty sheets fully dressed with hoods over our heads both to keep the germs from touching us and for warmth since it was freezing because we had to leave the window open because of the bleach smell. I was scared enough to push the dresser in front of the door for added security.
I will say one positive, on an island where everything is very expensive this place was totally cheap. The moral of the story is you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank Choaby
Pequot Hotel
Pequot Hotel
#1 of 3 in Oak Bluffs
Martha's Vineyard Surfside Hotel

Been to Island Inn? Share your experiences!