“dismal, dark, noisy and poor value - no, we won't be back”
Review of Island Inn

Island Inn
Ranked #7 of 15 Oak Bluffs B&B and Inns
NJ
“dismal, dark, noisy and poor value - no, we won't be back”
Reviewed August 15, 2009

we needed a room for the night. for two adults, a teen and a preschooler. the room layout was awkward - twin beds in between the sofa and kitchen without a wall inbetween? - the bathroom right off the kitchenette was unpleasantly situated, it was dark and gloomy with no privacy. thin sheets. musty smell. glasses and plates that smelled unwashed in the kitchenette. it felt like a motel at hotel prices. but there are a few tennis courts and tennis pros in residence, which seems bizarrely our of kilter with our seedy motel experience - maybe some rooms have been upgraded and our cell block was not - ? we were in room 37, so skip that at all costs. good location near the beach and town, ample car parking, but you know - it was just crap. no-one asked us how our stay was as we checked out, smart move on their part. we were just glad to go.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank lilfella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Medford,MA
Reviewed July 16, 2009

My husband, myself and close friends stayed at the Island Inn and we enjoyed ourselves. The Inn keeper Mr. Tipton was wonderful. He was very pleasant and helpful. The room (condo suite) was clean and well equipped The living room furniture was a little dated but very "Vineyardy"! Although the weather did not always cooperate we were still able to use the pool. The pool area was very well kept and very pretty. We would certainly visit the Island Inn again. The restaurant next door The Mediterainian was great too!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mmvy
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed July 12, 2009

We had our wedding reception on the grounds of the Island Inn under a big tent. We also had all of our guests (120+) stay at the Inn as well. It was amazing. Every single person I talked with told me how much they loved the hotel and how great the grounds were. There was a beautiful pool, clay tennis courts, a horseshoe pit and a great picnic/BBQ area. The rooms were all unique and catered to a large variety of needs. Every room had a kitchenette complete with full fridge and stove. Some rooms had an upstairs loft that was amazing and they all had a small porch in front where you could enjoy the quiet outdoors after a long day at the beach or out in town.

It's location is PERFECT, situated less than a mile from State Beach, a mile outside of downtown Oak Bluffs, and about 2 miles outside of Edgartown. It is convenient to the bus routes to Oak Bluffs and Edgartown, so you don't even need a car to stay there and al of the taxis knew exactly where we were going when we gave them the name of the hotel.

We had an amazing time at the Island Inn and will be going back in the future!

P.S. GREAT for pet owners too

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank robmv03
Boston
Reviewed January 12, 2009

This place must be empty a lot. That would be the only reason there aren't multiple negative reviews of this place. My original title was "stay here if you want to risk getting a Staph infection" but then thought that was a little too harsh. Anyway, stayed here over Columbus Day weekend 2006 (still remember it like it was yesterday) only because we wanted to stay 1 night and this is literally the only place on the island that I could find that would take less than 2 nights on a holiday weekend. I know the island well and usually stay in Edgartown. I travel A LOT. I travel almost full-time for my job and my husband and I take a vacation every other month. I am very familiar with Circuit Ave so I should have known better but I really had no idea a hotel could be this bad. I would have gone home and eaten the cost but by the time we went to the hotel we missed the last Island Queen.
I will try my best to keep this brief but I have so much to say. I had to purchase Lysol Wipes so that I could clean the bathroom in order to use it. I used nearly the entire container and the wipes were still coming up filthy. When I made the reservation they made sure to tell me that the room had "cable tv and HBO" but the TV in the room was broken. I spoke to management and I was offered a bottle of "low carb" wine for my troubles - you must be kidding me. The room smelled like a bottle of bleach was dumped on the bed - I don't even want to guess at what they were trying to cover up. We slept on top of the nasty sheets fully dressed with hoods over our heads both to keep the germs from touching us and for warmth since it was freezing because we had to leave the window open because of the bleach smell. I was scared enough to push the dresser in front of the door for added security.
I will say one positive, on an island where everything is very expensive this place was totally cheap. The moral of the story is you get what you pay for.

• Liked — In an effort to be positive, it was totally cheap.
  • Disliked — Cleanliness, entire room in general was filthy, outdated
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank Choaby
Aubrey, TX
Reviewed September 24, 2008

Had a terrible time finding this place, they say it is on Beach Street but Beach Street is actually marked Seaview, had to get directions from the Police Department. Don't bother looking at their confirmation form, it lists a P.O. Box as their address and no telephone number. Was assigned to Building G underneath the Meeting Room, so all evening long had to listen to party goers and creaking floors overhead. Room was musty smelling, outdated fixtures and plumbing, chairs excessively worn out, not close to being worth $200 a night. Walls are paper thin in this dump, so don't expect to get any sleep. They don't bother to ask you if you enjoyed your stay, I guess they already know...

• Liked — Not anything really...
  • Disliked — Musty, noisy, poor construction, worn fixtures, overpriced,
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank HorseFlicks
Boston
Reviewed September 2, 2008

We stayed at the Island Inn over Labor Day weekend (Aug. 30 - Sept. 1). It was a very adequate resort.

If you like tennis, then you will love this place. There are 3 high-quality courts on the property.

This isn't your normal hotel though...it's more like efficiency's (studio's) than hotel rooms. There is a mini-kitchen that includes two burners, a mini-fridge, coffee maker (yet, no coffee), microwave, and a full set of dishes / silverware / glasses. You can buy a 'k-cup' of coffee in the check-in house for $1. Seems like a rip-off to me, especially for the amount of money that you lay out for a room.

The shower comes equipped w/ 'Shampoo +' and 'Shower Gel' to cleanse yourself, and more than enough towels for 2.

There is also an iron & ironing board, but no hairdryer (luckily my girlfriend brought one!).

There is a restaurant located on-site called Lola's. It's a cajun-themed restaurant with VERY good food. Our waiter was sub-par, but maybe we realized that just because we are used to going to fine dining establishments in Boston.

One nice feature is that a local bike company (Anderson's) delivers bikes to the property and picks them up as well.

The grounds are beautifully maintained and the pool is quite nice. It is surrounded by flowers and plants to make it a more secluded area.

The rooms were very clean and the management very pleasant. They stored our bags after we checked out so we were able to enjoy the last hours of our time on the island.

Overall, I enjoyed the stay at this locale. While it wasn't what I expected (a regular hotel), it does offer a nice room away from the town center. I would highly recommend this resort if you want a room that is far enough away from the town center that you won't be bothered by noise, yet is close enough to walk / bike to Oak Bluffs, Edgartown, and all the beaches in between!

• Liked — It's proximity to the town & beaches
  • Disliked — That it didn't include coffee / tea in the rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Tewksbury, MA
Reviewed August 25, 2008

I would HIGHLY recommend the Island Inn. It was MORE than what we expected. The service is excellent and friendly. The property is spectacular. Truly the walk too the beach is NOT bad at all! It is worth the walk! Oh, bring chairs to watch the beautiful sunset. We had dinner and brunch at Lola's on the Inn's property and the food and entertainment is FABULOUS! Lola's has THE BEST brunch I have ever had! The owner is from New Orleans, Louisianna and the atmosphere is that true cajun feel! Also, it is pet friendly which made our little westie one happy camper! Oh, and if you love to play tennis, visit the awesome clay courts and the tennis shop! My family and I are hooked and in love with The Island Inn! We stayed in the townhouse and there is plenty of room for 4 plus a pull out. My inlaws stayed in the studio with 2 queen beds and all units have small efficiency kitchen with small stove and coffee maker.

• Liked — Cleanliness, roomy and location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oak Bluffs
Clarion Inn Martha's Vineyard
Oak Bluffs Inn
Oak Bluffs Inn
#1 of 15 in Oak Bluffs

Been to Island Inn? Share your experiences!