“Best meal on the Vineyard by far!”

The Red Cat Kitchen at Ken N' Beck
Ranked #3 of 55 Restaurants in Oak Bluffs
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My husband and I went to the Red Cat Kitchen 2 weeks ago while we were vacationing with our family. I have been going to the Vineyard every summer for as long as I can remember, and this was the best dinner I've ever had in a restaurant there by far. It was SO delicious. We had a ceasar salad to start, which was one of the best I've had. I got the scallops for my entree which were phenomenal, and my husband got the tuna which he also loved. You can tell that the chef is a true professional and is really passionate about the food he's cooking. The atmosphere is casual but intimate, and the service was good despite being very busy. We will make this place a staple from now on. I highly recommend it!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

i'll cut to the chase. of all the meals we had during our MV trip, and we reserached many restaurantsts and had lots of good meals during our 4 days this was the best. the veggie rissoto-chef special-amaze, my husband's tuna (also chef special) was the largest piece of fish ever and super tasty. my friend's striped bass served w. colorful veggies and also suprise veggies (potatos) were 1-beautiful and 2-so freaking good.

must get onion rings. ceasar was also very very good and i dont eat calamari but the rest of my crew did and loved it. even the bread and olive oil was so delicious

service-they lost our reservation and could not have been nicer. comped us a round of drinks and were so considerate about it all. waitress was great-suggested her faves for everything.

atmosphere reminds me of underground NYC places that are quaint but hip without trying too hard. this is my first trip advisor review ever but had to write it as it was just so great. a can't miss on MV

1  Thank Jamie O
Reviewed July 28, 2013

A friend and I try to get together once during the summer for a fine meal and were not dissapointed by our recent experience at the Red Cat. We were treated to some excellent cuisine-with my friend indulging in the monk fish served with veggies in a midly light savory summer flavored sauce, and I went for the pork shank with toasted/grilled brussel sprouts. My meat was so tender and delicious-quite a refreshing change from me over saturating myself with seafood, it was amazing!
For dessert we each ordered the malted chocolate creme brûlée which is too delicious to share so I advise getting your own lest risking your dining partner stealing it!
We ate European style sharing a table with some folks we'd never met so we could be fit in wiithout reservations, and ended up having a lot of fun by doing so.
All this occurred on a super crowded Sunday evening-without reservation making it all the more amazing for being accomodated.
Such a great meal has prompted me to review my awesome food and hanker for my next Red Cat dining experience. From the cheerful host who answered the phone & told us to ("come on down"), to Chef Ben the Wizard of phenomenal food, and Richard our efficient waiter and his trusty busboy we dined superbly and were fat as a full summer moon when we left.
I know I'll be back for sure!!! Hmm, August b'day dinner-why not!

The Golden Lioness

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We were seated on the porch, stuffed into a corner with so little room that it I almost took a mortal wound when when the people nearby wanted to move a chair from one side of their table to another. No climate control, so if it's the least bit sunny the room heats up quickly. The window by our table was noted as broken, do not open, so there was no option to lift up the glass and let in a breeze.

Food was inconsistent. Beet salad, delicious. Scallops with risotto, not so delicious. Scallops were undercooked, drooping under their own weight as scallops are inclined to do when raw; and the risotto had no flavor, as though water was used to cook the rice rather than broth or wine.

The Vegetarian Showdown was just plain bizarre, a collection of bowls and plates from around the globe. A midget serving of what we could only guess was a white bean hummus submerged in green basil oil, because the waitress did not identify anything after setting down the Showdown and scurrying off. A mountain of tempura green beans. Nothing tied the Showdown items together in a common theme or style.

With the exception of Slice of Life and The Sweet Life, Oak Bluffs establishments seem focused on drinking, with food taking a lower priority. I can only think that Red Cat gets such good reviews because the expectations for anything halfway decent in Oak Bluffs are low.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

If you eat at no other rest on the Vineyard THIS is the place to go. Exquisite food, professional staff, great place to meet interesting people. We have eaten here three nights in a row on vacation- the Yellow Fin tuna, the blue fin tuna, the sea bass and lobster risotto were all out of this world! We will go back next year!!!!! Chocolate creme brûlée was fantastic!