“Clearly these people can't run a restaurant and are terrible to customers”

The Red Cat Kitchen at Ken N' Beck
Ranked #3 of 56 Restaurants in Oak Bluffs
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I had a terrible meal at red cat this summer, but I wouldn't have written this review if if hadn't been for the responses from Sarah to the other "terrible" reviews. I've NEVER heard of a restaurant charging for a dish that has been sent back. How tacky. You're there to please your customers no matter what. And how dare you publicly address a dissatisfied customer over social media and call him a drama queen! I don't know that man, but your response was scary, Sarah. Instead of writing these long-winded, condescending, biased, ridiculous, immature responses...work on your restaurant and people-skills. Or will Red Cat go the way of Balance?

5  Thank Hrochambeau
Sarah O, General Manager at The Red Cat Kitchen at Ken N' Beck, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

We are absolutely here to please our guests, and the overwhelming majority of our guests are happy and satisfied- as evidenced by their return rate, and most of the reviews here. When people are not happy, we go out of our way to accommodate and try to make them happy. Of course we wish that everything were perfect all of the time, but we're human, mistakes happen, and we learn from them. We don't expect people to pay for meals where there is a legitimate problem, when we make a mistake, or when they are dissatisfied by something. But once in a while there are people who you just can't do anything for, and regardless of what you try, nothing works- it's almost like they don't want to be happy and want to cause a problem. If you've ever worked in the service industry you've probably run across a few people like this.

I've worked in the service industry and in restaurants for many years, and was even the head of the customer service department for a multi-national consumer products manufacturing company for a number of years. I don't claim to know everything about people or customer service, but I haven't built the resume I have by being bad with people.

I'm sorry you weren't happy with your meal this summer, and that you took offense to the tone of my response. I guess your feelings were so strong that it compelled you to write you first tripadvisor review- but how dare I publicly address a dissatisfied customer over social media? I thought that was the benefit of this forum. He was able to call us out on social media much the way you have. You felt compelled to respond to me much the way I felt compelled to respond to him, so I guess we're in the same boat. The thing about social media (for better or worse, as we've all seen, I'm sure) is that it is the great leveler of voices- everyone's opinion and voice is given the same weight. Sometimes this results in unbiased reviews, sometimes it results in complete anarchy.

I'm not here to do battle with anyone, only to stick up for and defend my staff and my restaurant as I would my family. If you had this man in your dining room and he treated your family the way he treated my staff and tried to steal from you, I think you might have a different opinion. I hope this never happens to you.

Your points about not knowing how to run a business or "going the way of Balance" are baseless and misinformed. Ben had the original Red Cat for 5 successful years, and Balance had a strong 7 year run in it's initial location. Ben and his staff decided it was time to pack it up of their own free will. So I hope we DO go the way of Balance. I hope we are able to enjoy the same successful run that Balance had for those seven years, and I hope that people are still talking about us many years later, as they still are about Balance.

I feel it important to note that we haven't spent a single cent on advertising, yet we are consistently busy and have many customers that return time and time again based solely on our food and our service. you say I am biased? I agree. I am biased. Name one small business owner who wouldn't be biased and defend their business or their employees against abusive clientele. We simply want to provide great food and great service in a fun, casual atmosphere.

Obviously, we would be nothing without our customers, and it is to them that we owe our deepest thanks and gratitude. It is with them and our employees in mind that I feel it necessary to be "long winded," "ridiculous," and "immature" to defend what we do.

Thank you for your review and to TripAdvisor for the opportunity to respond,
Sarah

Reviewed September 26, 2012

gotta try the fresca! if you like to live on the edge try the tasting plates. everything here that i tried was delicious and will definitely come back!

2  Thank Eric F
Reviewed September 26, 2012

To walk by during the day you wouldn't give this place a second glance. It comes alive at night with amazing food, creative cocktails and local flavor. Enjoy!

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Disclaimer: My wife is Ben's cousin. We've been going to his restaurants for years, so, we ARE a little biased. :) That said, the latest venture was incredibly delicious! I had the NY cut steak. You could have cut it with a butter knife. Laura had the fresh swordfish and that was like no other. It melted in your mouth.

We both raved over the yellowfin tartare and the calamari, well, I could have made a meal out of just that. The sauce/aoli it came with I couldn't stop eating.

You want an eclectic place fit for a foodie or president? Go here.

We can't wait to go back.. Oh, right, we'll be there tomorrow night for the festivities! Very much looking forward to it! :)

1  Thank MikeFoley
Reviewed September 20, 2012

All of our selections had a different and unexpected twist for the taste buds. The Red Cat is small and noisy but the food is superb. Lobster Salad appetizer cam piled high on top of a fried green tomato, the lemony sauce was such a treat. Service was attentive and knowledgeable.

1  Thank LLCan