“Thinking about coming back next year”

Martha's Vineyard Resort
Ranked #11 of 15 Oak Bluffs B&B and Inns
“Thinking about coming back next year”
Reviewed September 26, 2010

I visited the MV resort at the end of July 2010 and enjoyed my stay. I spent quite a lot of time searching for a place to stay in MV that was reasonably priced and was in a convenient location.

We stayed in (I think) room 7 and it was enough space for the 4 of us. My only issue with it was the winding staircase to the 2nd floor - it was a little difficult to carry bags up and down.

In general, our intent was to sleep here and spend the rest of our weekend out exploring MV, which we did.

Ms. Claudette was great about lending us beach towels and letting us lock up our rented bikes on the porch. She also let us keep our luggage there after we checked out on Sunday and went on a kayking trip. Furthermore, when we returned, she let us change out of our kayaking clothes before heading home.

I enjoyed my stay here and would definitely like to return next year. I liked being able to access both Oak Bluffs (by walking, biking, and the bus) and Vineyard Haven (by bike and bus) easily without having to be directly in the downtown area of either town.

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank jmp2010jmp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 4, 2010

was concerned with 'resort' since a lot of negative reviews - but decided to give it a chance - well - reserved - and had to cancel due to the hurricane - worried about ferry service and being stuck on the island. So, gave her 24 hours notice, asked if since cancellation was due to circumstances out of our control, would she charge us only the $65 cancellation fee, and not keep the whole deposit (1/3 of the entire reservation cost).
Well, I get this voice mail where she tells ME she is OFFENDED by the tone of my email!!! And she DIDN'T APPRECIATE it! I guess she doesn't understand how in America the business owner should be grateful for customers - we owned our own bsiness for years and had a sign in the front: "Thanks for your business"! Originally my husband wanted to see if she would apply the depoist to a different date - but after her response - no way - I'd rather lose the money I already did than give her another penny!
Well - unless you are desperate - I would not give this woman a penny of your hard earned money.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HAPPYGROUPOF7

Travelers are raving about these Oak Bluffs hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 4, 2010

I have traveled to the Vineyard for many years now and this was the first time I stayed at the MV Resort. I would say had I knew about this place before I would have stayed years ago. Ms. Claudette is a wonderful honest women and knows so much about the island. You cannot find a hotel on the vineyard where you can stay for 160 per night and have free breakfast in the morning. That in it self is a BARGIN! The hotel is about a 10 min straight walk into town. Seeing most people try to exscape the hustle and bustle of the city the 10 min makes a positive difference to most. you can relax in your room and not worry about loud voices and noise. There is a wonder bus system and the bus picks and drops you off for $2. There are so many positives about this place I could go on for ever.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank kingnewlabel
Boston, MA
Reviewed July 22, 2009

I just returned from a long weekend spent with friends at the Martha's Vineyard Resort. We were very impressed with the quality and cleanliness of our room. Claudette and her staff were extremely attentive and made our stay very comfortable. My only complaint would be that the location isn't ideal as it's a little less than a mile walk to downtown Oak Bluffs. However, between the cabs and the convenient bus system we were able to get around quite easily. I would highly recommend this resort for an affordable vacation!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank beachlover150
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 27, 2008

My family stayed at this hotel for a long weekend and it was a great bargain. Other hotels in the area were at least $200 per night and this was far less, even in the high season. The room was smaller than a standard hotel room, but plenty big enough for two adults and a crib for the baby. It was clean and the shower was very nice. The owner helped us locate a sitter so we could have a night out. The only downside is that there is never anyone at the front desk, which is a little unwelcoming. But, the owner responded right away when we called her. For this price, we would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Connecticut
Reviewed June 17, 2008

I reserved a stay through the resorts OWN on line reservation system. Two days later I received a one line email stating that they could not honor the reservation. I called the resort and spoke with a monotone, snobby person that explained, after I had to ask for elaboration on the message, that the on line booking system "messed up." That was ALL the information he offered. I stated that I thought it was unprofessional of the resort to: wait 2 days to infrom me of their 'mess up,' inform me by email, and provide no explanantion nor identification of who wrote the email. The man explained that this was a standard software response. Well, for a resort who claims to cater to making events "special," I highly doubt that they are capable of doing so, considering that they could not attend to basic reservation needs nor provide pleasant customer service.

• Disliked — rude, unhelpful customer service
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jennydct
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 3, 2007

So I can't give a rating based on an actual hotel stay since I didn't get the chance to actually stay there (and will not be staying there in the future), but if the service before the stay is this bad, I can just imagine what the service at the hotel would be!! In any case, I paid $65 for the right to post this warning to fellow travellers....

We had plans to fly into Martha's Vineyard and stay at this hotel for a couple nights this summer, but due to inclement weather conditions we were forced to cancel our reservation the day before, and at that time we rescheduled for a later date. The person I spoke to did not mention a cancellation fee if I were to cancel the future date. Unfortunately, we just had to cancel our rain dates as well, but we did give more than the stated 14 days notice and got hit with the $65 fee! I had to send numerous emails before I got a proper explanation as to why we got charged, and as it turns out it was for the initial reschedule.

I understand that a hotel reserves the right to uphold any ridiculous cancellation policy it chooses, but they also reserve the right to use judgment when dealing with customers instead of treating them like a cash-cow.

As private pilots there are often last minute changes to plans due to weather and other unforeseen events. And in all of my travels, I have never experienced a hotel with a policy this inflexible and lacking of customer care. We had every intention of staying there next summer, but not anymore. As far as I know there are no other hotels on Martha’s Vineyard who have this cancellation policy.

So beware, and if you do book with this hotel be ready to cough up $65 if you happen to have any unforseen change of plans!

• Stayed October 2007
Clarion Inn Martha's Vineyard
Oak Bluffs Inn
Oak Bluffs Inn
#1 of 15 in Oak Bluffs

Been to Martha's Vineyard Resort? Share your experiences!