“Great week in this beautiful setting”

Martha's Vineyard Resort
Ranked #11 of 15 Oak Bluffs B&B and Inns
Addison, NY USA
“Great week in this beautiful setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

We have just returned from almost a week in this resort and had a wonderful time. The setting was exactly as advertised and seemed to be a good value for the price. Claudette is a gracious and efficient hostess - she was always available for any need and helpful when asked, but never intrusive or hovering. Breakfast on the front porch each morning was a great start to our days. Our room was clean, comfortable, and charming. We are not sure what some earlier reviewers expected, but we felt that the web site very accurately depicted the resort and its amenities. The entire house was clean, bright, and peaceful. The bus stops right in front, for those who wanted to travel the island that way. The walk to Oak Bluffs center requires caution if you use the main street (NY Ave), but is very doable. We would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a quiet, welcoming, friendly place to stay on MV!

Room Tip: We had one of the smallest rooms, but found it to be very comfortable. We faced the front street, b...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank David B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

MightyAlbion,

I could not agree with you more. In fact you found adjectives that better/best describe what we felt during our visit, e.g. windowless basement, over-priced and just stale and antiquated; really an overall let down especially if you have had nicer and become accustomed to better experiences. So, much for expectations. Thanks for your review - it confirmed our experience!

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Oak Bluffs hotels

Nottingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

This place turned out to be very ordinary, but the price was the highest I found ($225 per night). I had to stay there because other places were full. It was clean and quiet enough, but the room was small and tight, the bathroom was old-fashioned and inconveniently arranged and the nothing-fancy continental breakfast was in a windowless basement. It's also located a mile or so outside of town, so you need transportation to go and come. I can think of several more annoyances related to M.V. "Resort" (there's a tennis court), but perhaps you already get the idea. Give this place a pass; there are plenty of others for less money.

Room Tip: I only saw my own room, which was in a separate annex. Maybe the rooms in the main house are bigger...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank MightyAlbion
Yonkers, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2011

The very first time that I stayed at Martha's Vineyard Resort even though I had been going to MV for over 30 years! I found the Owner to be very freiendly and I felt extremely comfortable being by myself. The rooms were much larger than other Inns that I had rented with private baths, inside and exterior sitting areas.

There was complimentary wine in the room and complimentary tea/coffee, continental breakfast in the mornings and a 10 minute walk into town. The Martha's Vineyard Resort helped to make my Labor Day Holiday one of the best ever and I can't wait to go back!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank 994CALovesToTravel
Providence, Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

We stayed here during Labor Day weekend, we chose this spot because we needed spot that would let us stay for 2 nights, and was under $200 a night since we were shooting a wedding. The "Resort" should rename itself a motel or inn, so not to disappoint guests expecting more. It is located about a mile from the center of Oak Bluffs, away from the action. The rooms are clean but old fashioned. The mattress was very uncomfortable for two nights. There is a/c and free wifi, and plenty of parking. others mentioned breakfast, I did not see or get offered breakfast. if I were lookin for a luxury getaway on MV this would not be it, but it was fine for work purposes.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank uglyagnes
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2011

I could not be real picky as the Island is packed this time of year. The place is very clean. But if you are going to stay here, ask for even rooms only. The odd rooms are on a major road and can be noisy.

The pillows are hard as rocks, so bring your own !! The bus stops right in front, and it is midway (5 minute ride to either) between Oak Bluffs and Vineyard Haven, but not within walking distance within anything. If you want quiet its not a bad place to stay. If you want to be in a town, then this is not the answer.

Like I said earlier, very polite inn keeper and very clean.

Room Tip: Even rooms will give a quieter night sleep
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MikeR2011
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

I have stayed in B&B is various states and I have to tell you that I was never so disappointed than at this particular stay. The room's interior and decor was antiquated and stale. There was nothing appealing and inviting to the senses; except the outside. When I stay at a B&B I expect to have an away from home, refreshing, nostalgic experience and that has been the standard up until this point - this experience.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank youarenosy
Claudette N, Manager at Martha's Vineyard Resort, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
I’m shocked this guest was disappointed because many times during her stay she told me how much she and the others in her group were enjoying the Inn. She specifically complimented me on the cleanliness and comfort of her room; and how she and her companions were enjoying use of the tennis court, pool table and grounds. She ate our continental breakfast every morning and never expressed any disappointment about the food or dining area. I don’t understand why she is stating that she was not given the option of having a hot breakfast that includes eggs, bacon, sausage etc... She was well aware that we serve a continental breakfast only as it is stated on our website which she reviewed and as well was told by me. Our continental breakfast consists of fresh fruit, yogurt, hot and cold cereals, assortment of pastries and breads, juice, tea and coffee. Many of our guest have shared compliments about our breakfst. They are impressed with the variety and healty choices.
When she initially reserved the room, I told her the room had a queen size bed that accommodates two people. She told me the room was for she and her daughter and that was fine. However, upon arrival 8/20/11 she checked-in herself along with three other people for the same room. I reiterated to her that her room accommodates only two people. However, she was adamant that all four of them would be comfortable in her room. She was asked to pay an extra $25 for each additional guest. Unfortunately, she never paid for her additional guests or for her stay at the resort. Ironically, she states in TripAdvisor.com that she was “ripped off” yet I’m the one who has been deprived of payment for her stay at the resort.

This guest expressed having financial difficuly and requested to be charged at the end of her stay. I was sympathetic to her circumstances and therefore agreed to collect the amount she owed upon her departure date. I was also lenient with regards to her additional guests and did my best to accommodate them. However, without my knowledge this guest departed a day earlier than schedule and did not pay for her stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oak Bluffs
#6 of 15 in Oak Bluffs
Oak Bluffs Inn
Oak Bluffs Inn
#2 of 15 in Oak Bluffs

Been to Martha's Vineyard Resort? Share your experiences!