“Lovely place, lovely island, lovely everything” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Narragansett House

Narragansett House
Ranked #6 of 16 Oak Bluffs B&B and Inns
Milan, Italy
“Lovely place, lovely island, lovely everything”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

I was in this structure for a few days in May last year. I just loved the place, the house , the room and the island . Martha's vienyard is a lovely island and I had a great holiday there. The lady owner was really helpful and really nice to me. We had a lot of chats and she took care of me all the time. It was Memorial Day weekend so the place was full but i stayed a couple of extra days when it became quiet and the atmosphere changed completely. The house is absolutely lovely in its bright blue and purple colours. The room was a little small was decorated with taste and very pretty. I also had a little patio where I sat when it was sunny. If I will ever be back in MV I'll surely come back here ! For further information read the post on my blog: http://traveltilyoudrop.blogspot.it/2013/11/i-want-to-live-in-marthas-vineyard.html

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank MonicaM18

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

My boyfriend and I came to MV for a wedding. I have stayed at my friend's house in Oak Bluffs many times before so I knew the area and loved the Narragansett House's location. It is less than a 10 minute walk from the Steamship Authority and less than a 2 minute walk to shops. We didn't go, but the beach is just at the end of the street! I don't know if it is because we stayed after Labor Day, but we found the street to be very quiet. I know it is definitely quieter than Circuit Ave which is very busy (and just around the corner!). We also easily found parking on the street in front of the Narragansett House (not sure how availability would be during the summer?).

All of the hotels on island have a two night minimum at this time of the year, and this one fit our budget beautifully at only $165/night ($184/night including taxes). I had gone on the website to book and had fun looking through the rooms pictures and descriptions. I appreciated that all of the rooms had private baths. We chose room #12 because I liked the picture and that it came with an a/c unit. We were greeted by Jane at check in and she showed us locations and sites on a map that she gave us. (We didn't really have any more interaction with her as she is only there until 8pm and we always came back after then.) We entered our room which was just off of the entry room on the first floor facing the street. The room was a little tight but that was expected. Smaller rooms are definitely common in these older places on island. I found it cozy and charming! It was also very clean! The room had everything we needed- good sized closet, queen bed, small dresser, chair and TV... and a large bathroom! The bathroom had a stall shower, and included a wall attached hair dryer, shampoo, soap and two makeup remover wipes. Those were much appreciated! I'm a late riser and found that as we were very close to the breakfast area, it was a little noisy in the morning with people getting breakfast, the screen door closing, and people sitting and talking outside on the porch. However, we easily solved this by using the AC the next night instead of the open window. The noise of the AC drowned out any outside noise and we slept great! We found the bed to be a little too soft for our liking. We felt like we kept sloping into the middle of the bed.

My boyfriend LOVED the wrap around porch and rocking chairs. There were also small tables and chairs on the porch. In the yard, there were Adirondack chairs which were great as well!

The breakfast was coffee/tea, orange juice, assorted muffins and a bread or cake. I found this to be sufficient as I enjoy going out to breakfast. Also, as the Narragansett House was more than reasonably priced, I was pleasantly surprised to have breakfast! There was also a small refrigerator in the breakfast area for guest use.

Jane lent my boyfriend an iron and mini tabletop ironing board so that he could iron his shirt for the wedding. The TV in the room worked great and kept him occupied as he waited for me to finish up getting ready. The free wifi was a nice bonus but it was a little spotty as we often couldn't get on.

Overall, we had a great time here and I would recommend it to others looking for a great price and location!

• 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank laualy
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Located in a great location in Oak Bluffs close to the ocean and the business core. Within walking distance of everything. We were in Narragansett house on the second floor and stayed for 3 nights. The room was very clean and bright and airy.The B&B hosts were the absolute best looking after everything we needed - exceptionally congenial. We just loved the classic old charm of this B&B that has been well maintained.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Falmouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

If you want an authentic Oak Bluffs experience in a terrific location, the Narragansett House fits the bill. We live across the sound in Falmouth (where the Island Queen departs from) so we make a couple of day trips a year to walk the campgrounds or neighborhoods of Oak Bluffs. This was the first time we had actually stayed on the island in years but we so enjoyed our two nights at the Narragansett House that we plan to make it an annual visit.

We stayed in the Iriquois Cottage which Jane and Paul (the owners) have obviously painstakingly restored. The room had the feel of another time with period furnishings and arched doors (with beautiful stained glass) leading to a wonderful little balcony. Clean, comfortable, and spacious bath (way nicer than we have at home), and a great little flat screen TV so we didn't miss the Patriot's game Sunday night :).

The location is perfect as you are literally steps from everything but it feels like you are far removed from the hustle and bustle. Jane was more than helpful meeting our needs and the other staff we met were friendly as well.

We have read other complaints here about the breakfast of "store bought" coffee cake and muffins. We didn't try the muffins but the coffee cake was awesome (as was the coffee). Maybe it was sitting in a rocker on the porch in the morning sun that made it taste so good (like the hot dog at Fenway Park effect), but whatever it was you can sign us up for more.

Back in the 1980's (due to my work at the time) I stayed regularly at some of the finest Inns on the Island. While many were quite nice I realize now that what most lacked was an authentic experience. Once inside you really could have been Anywhere USA. These days we gravitate toward places that give you the feel of the area you are staying. Our expectations allow for, and in fact we enjoy, the quirky imperfections that give a place it's character. Oak Bluffs is a unique community, beautiful without being sterilized and this Inn reflects that character nicely.

Thanks Jane, Paul, and staff for your hospitality, We appreciate the hard work, frustrations, and long hours that go in to hosting the public and maintaining these wonderful Victorian treasures. We will definitely return!

3 Thank bookmooses
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Just got back from the Vineyard.Thoroughly enjoyed your Inn.We loved our room at the Irisquois Inn.Room was spacious, clean, and just beautifully decorated.We loved the 2nd floor balcony from our roomThank you Jane and Paul for making our stay wonderful!We will be back!

East Greenwich, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stayed at the Narragansett House for one night - it was a spur of the moment decision because the beach front B&B I stayed at did not have an extra night available- and I wanted to stay on the island one more night because the weather forecast was great! I found the owner to be very friendly, pleasant and accommodating...after reading a previous review, I wondered how we could be speaking about the same person. It is true that this a kind of a "quirky" B&B with a tiny staircase that led to my room...but the room was pleasant, the bathroom super clean, the bed was comfortable and it was very quiet. The breakfast was serve yourself with a nice coffee cake, several kinds of muffins, juice, coffe and tea.. perhaps some fresh fruit would be a nice addition but I believe it was advertised as a continental breakfast...and that is what it was. It is a very convenient location - close to Circuit Ave. with stores and restaurants but also just a 5 minute walk to the beach and the vast bus system. I loved the porch with the large rocking chairs - nice to sit and read - have a glass of wine and watch the people watching you as they walked by. I would have to say that I am glad with my choice for that extra night on the Vineyard - and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: My room did not have a balcony (#6) and there was no view...but it was quiet and had a nice private...