“Loved the porch!”

Ranked #6 of 15 Oak Bluffs B&B and Inns
East Greenwich, Rhode Island
“Loved the porch!”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stayed at the Narragansett House for one night - it was a spur of the moment decision because the beach front B&B I stayed at did not have an extra night available- and I wanted to stay on the island one more night because the weather forecast was great! I found the owner to be very friendly, pleasant and accommodating...after reading a previous review, I wondered how we could be speaking about the same person. It is true that this a kind of a "quirky" B&B with a tiny staircase that led to my room...but the room was pleasant, the bathroom super clean, the bed was comfortable and it was very quiet. The breakfast was serve yourself with a nice coffee cake, several kinds of muffins, juice, coffe and tea.. perhaps some fresh fruit would be a nice addition but I believe it was advertised as a continental breakfast...and that is what it was. It is a very convenient location - close to Circuit Ave. with stores and restaurants but also just a 5 minute walk to the beach and the vast bus system. I loved the porch with the large rocking chairs - nice to sit and read - have a glass of wine and watch the people watching you as they walked by. I would have to say that I am glad with my choice for that extra night on the Vineyard - and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: My room did not have a balcony (#6) and there was no view...but it was quiet and had a nice private...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 11, 2013

My friend and I stayed at Narragansett House over this past weekend, for 4 nights. I had read previous reviews about the owner and the Inn and to be honest was a little concerned. I am happy to report that we absolutely loved everything about our stay here. The owner actually made our entire stay. From the second we arrived she took the time to get to know us and help us plan our stay. She recommended several restaurants and shops around the area and her advice was spot on. Jane was the perfect host and we enjoyed getting to know her while there.
We found the Inn delightful and absolutely loved our room. We were in room number 4 and found it quite charming and thoroughly enjoyed starting and ending each day on the private balcony. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this spot to anyone and everyone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Where to start? Run down. No A/C, which, in fairness, appears to be common. The "Bed" in B & B was in a tiny, stifling room in need of renovation with dirty carpet and sponge painted walls and the "Breakfast" was self-serve coffee in a paper cup with a dry slice of coffee cake or a muffin from Sysco to be eaten off a thin paper plate with a plastic fork. The best part of the stay was the porch we sat on until late evening because our room was so hot we couldn't go to bed! Oh! And then there was the bath that was down the hall from our room. It had a shower meant for a child, a shower head that provided a mist rather than a spray and sparse amenities usually generously provided. The most hysterical event was when my husband watched two squirrels run out of the room across the roofline from us. Old - not charming, Worn out - not quaint, Self-serve - not hospitable. Run, don't walk - - away from this B & B.

Room Tip: Expand your research. Ask the right questions: is there A/C; what does breakfast consist of; is the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank travelgram02
Providence, Rhode Island, United States
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Okay, if you've never been to MV or the town of Oak Bluffs, don't think the pictures of this inn look unusually charming - ALL the buildings in Oaks Bluff look like that. It's a lovely town. This inn, on the other hand, is a disaster due to one reason: an inexplicably miserable owner. Yes, it was a bit pricey, rooms were a bit shabby chic / beach house-y, but that's part of the appeal of this town. It could have been quirky and delightful if the owner of this inn didn't make it seem unwelcoming and depressing instead. I honestly have no idea what her problem is - rude, even hostile, unhelpful...why she got into HOSPITALITY will puzzle me to the end of my days. By all means, stay in Oak Bluffs. Just don't stay here. One of the most disappointing accommodation experiences I have ever had in my life.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Amy S
New England
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We have had this trip booked for months and were really looking forward to it! We booked several rooms over a 2-4 day period to accommodate our family for an annual family gathering. We spent between $3,000-$4,000 for the 4 rooms. Our email exchanges prior to going there were friendly and professional. When we got there, it was a whole different story. The owner barely greeted us upon arrival and was very unfriendly for our entire stay after that. We arrived early just to ask a few questions before we came back to check-in. She was overwhelmed and admonished us for being there early. She threw up her hands and walked away while we were in the midst of talking. The next day, when our next family members arrived, we asked about parking because there was a ban due to fireworks. Again, no welcome or greeting, she threw her hands up again and said, "I don't know where you are going to park"! We asked what people usually do and she said, "They park on the street". She would not try to accommodate us with her other lot across the street which had plenty of extra spaces. Over the next 3 days, we were snubbed and treated rudely by her. She barely acknowledged our existence and avoided us except to tell one of our party, "move your car", after she parked in her other lot. Her husband, who we passed by several times, never even said hello. We are regulars on the Vineyard and have vacationed there for 20 years. This was the worst experience we have ever had. It is also rudest we have ever been treated by an inn-keeper anywhere in our 40 years of travel. I would not recommend this inn. The rooms were OK, but over-priced for what they were. Wi-fi worked intermittently but Jane, the owner, was so unfriendly and angry that none of us even wanted to approach her to ask for help. The grounds need upkeep. Noisy at night mostly from other guests partying outside one of the rooms. Kathy, the employee at the front desk, was, by contrast, extremely nice and helpful! Thankful to her because, otherwise, we felt very unwelcome.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank rooster0608
monroe,CT
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I planned a last minute Mother-daughter trip to the Vineyard before my daughter leaves for her first year of college. I wanted some special time with just her. I was able to book 2 nights at the Narragansett house on short notice and I'm glad I did! The house is very charming and our room, (number 14) was a very good size, as was the bathroom. The room also has A/C, which some of the rooms do not. The location was incredible. A very short walk to ferry, buses, shops and restaurants and the beach. The front porch was a lovely place to sit and relax. The breakfast is continental, and not very good (store bought muffins or coffee cake, tea, coffee or orange juice) but that wasn't what mattered. We found everyone there to be pleasant and very helpful. Great stay.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lmt68
North Scituate, Rhode Island
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Owned by and across the street from the Narragansett House, the Iroquois House is a step up from the Narragansett House. This historic house was beautifully renovated and exquisitely maintained. Large, nicely appointed, clean rooms, comfortable beds, updated bathrooms, and every room with AC, ceiling fan and a private porch. Communal refrigerator was very convenient. Continental breakfast was always out early with OJ, coffee/tea and home made muffins and coffee cake (not great for those who are gluten intolerant). Staff was always friendly and helpful. Location is a few blocks away from "downtown" Oak Bluffs though very quiet. Gardens were lovely. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Rooms not on street side are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 15 in Oak Bluffs
The 1720 House
The 1720 House
#4 of 11 in Vineyard Haven

Been to Narragansett House? Share your experiences!