“Adorablehouse with great rooms in a great location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Narragansett House

Narragansett House
Ranked #6 of 15 Oak Bluffs B&B and Inns
Boston
“Adorablehouse with great rooms in a great location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2011

We stayed here last minute since we thought we were just going to the Vineyard for the day but wanted to stay overnight and were extremely happy with this place. It was the only one with availability and we ended up being pleasantly surprised! The location is great! Within walking distance to the shops, restaurants and beach. The room was adorable! It was very antique but you could tell everything was restored beautifully. We even had a little porch. The bathroom was very nice. Everything was very clean. I already made a reservation for this year to stay again.

Room Tip: Book online
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Northern NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2010

While the location is ideal, the owner Jane is unpleasant, the rooms are small and the breakfast part of the B & B consists of juice and muffins.

It should be noted that as we were checking out, but not leaving the island as yet, the owner said we could leave our luggage in the kitchenette area. In the interim, we lunched nearby on Circuit Avenue and walked to the beach. Upon our return for the luggage, the owner refused to allow me to use a bathroom. It wasn't until I told her that I was expecting and that I needed to use a bathroom ASAP that she got up from her seat, sighed loudly, grabbed some keys, slammed a door and led me to a vacant guest room. You would have thought I was someone off the street as opposed to a paying patron that had just spent a few days in this B & B. For that reason, I will never stay at Narragansett House ever again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NewJerseyAM
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2010

Having arrived well into the evening, it was nice to be properly welcomed and shown to our room.
This was our first experience of a New England B & B and I have no criticism. The accommodation was exactly as we expected it: Spacious, comfortable and very very peaceful. (we were just off the main street but it was still so peaceful)
Breakfast was exactly as described - Coffee, Juice, Great Muffins and Excellent Cake.
I can't comment on other establshments, but I can only compliment this establishment and owner. You can't go wrong if you stay here.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Seymour, CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2010

This was our first trip to Martha's Vineyard. The receptionist was very helpful when we got there. I was dissapointed that there was a sign at the front desk saying we shouldn't expect any service after 8pm. The breakfast was awful, not sure you can call yourself a B&B if you don't servce a proper breakfast. I never met the owners that I am aware of but we were warned about the cranky inn keepers. The house was clean, the room had A/C it was tiny but we didn't spend a ton of time there. The curtains were terrible and didn't block any of the morning sun. We did enjoy how close it was to downtown. We might stay there again if we don't find anything else appealing.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pokermom
Berkeley, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

We stayed here for two nights in June when we were on the vineyard for a friend's wedding. The inn's best feature is the location - it is easily walkable from the Oak Bluffs ferry dock, and only a block from Circuit Ave, which is where all the local restaurants and shops are.

We checked in a bit late, but the owner still gave us a great rundown of the area and where we might want to go for dinner. She was great in all our interactions - she lent us an iron/ironing board, and let us store our luggage after we checked out as our ferry didn't leave until later that afternoon.

The inn itself is a house that has been converted into individual rooms. We stayed in Room 14 which is one of the pricier rooms - I picked it because it seemed like the largest available, and I knew we would be coming in with a lot of luggage for a long trip. I'm glad I did, because it was plenty of room for us. I think the other rooms are much smaller. Something to note is that room 14 is advertised with a private balcony, which it does technically have, but the balcony is behind the house in an alley between two properties...I didn't really want to sit out there and relax. Also - our room had AC, but not all of them do, so be careful which room you book!

There are some nice items in the bathroom (makeup remover, shampoo, etc) but overall, the furnishings are a bit outdated/quaint. Also, the breakfast is juice, tea/coffee and muffins. If you are looking for something more substantial, this isn't the place.

Overall, it is definitely comfortable and welcoming, although I think there are nicer places to stay on Martha's Vineyard.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KKinCali
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2010

We stayed at the Narragansett House and agree with others who had TERRIBLE expeirences with the owner Jane and her husband. Awful people - a phony front - like a snake ready to strike at a moments notice. The phony "hello, hello" while she's ready to be nasty. We could of afforded to stay anywhere on the island - we'd never go near this place again.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NHTravel99
Framingham, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2009

My husband and I stayed once again at the Narragansett House in Oak Bluffs for an extended weekend. Since we have been there before and are familiar with the layout and rooms, we requested the room we like most which is on the first floor and has its own entrance. The room is spacious and clean. The bathroom is the same. The bed is comfortable and firm and furnishings are quaint, comfortable and representative of what we have become accustomed to in the cottage style surroundings of the neighborhood. As stated in other reviews, the area is right off of busy Circuit Avenue, within walking distance to the beach, but in a neighborhood setting which is very pleasant and quiet.
We arrived early and as a result our room was made ready for us as soon as possible and we were able to check in early. Until then, we were given space to store our bags so that we could take off on our bikes for a while.

Breakfast is continental style, the muffins and breads are tasty, and there is orange juice, coffee and a variety of teas. Our hostess and manager, Jane, is always friendly and pleasant, steering us towards some great restaurants, events and shops. On this partcular trip, my hairdryer blew up as soon as I started to use it while I was getting ready to go to dinner, tripping the ciruit breakers and causing a loss of power in our bathroom. Upon hearing of my dilemma, Jane immediately arrived to the room with hairdryer in hand and fixed the power so that I could continue to prepare for dinner. It is exactly this type of constant consideration and helpfulness that is one of the biggest reasons we have and will continue to look forward to our stay at Narrangansett House each year. We'll be back!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
#3 of 15 in Oak Bluffs
Isabelle's Beach House
Isabelle's Beach House
#4 of 15 in Oak Bluffs

Been to Narragansett House? Share your experiences!