We had a generally good stay here at the Surfside this week. The hotel is very accommodating to pet owners, and friendly toward pets. From our third floor balcony, we had a water view, and a direct line of sight view to the ferry dock.
The suite we were in, 312, was recently updated. Fixtures in the bath were new and clean. Bleach was in evidence with each room cleaning. The carpet was recent as well. A microwave, dorm fridge and small sink were handy for starting our day, and storing and reheating restaurant leftovers. If you plan on using the coffee maker provided in the room, be sure to bring along your own filters and coffee as they are not supplied. We took advantage of the coffee provided in the office only one morning. Convenient if all you need is a caffeine fix.
An issue with a tub drain that would not stay closed was handled promptly, and with real ingenuity by hotel staff. We were impressed and appreciative of their effort with this issue.
At the time of our visit, construction was occurring in a lot directly adjacent to that of the hotel's as well as on the waterfront just beyond. The crew began arriving around 7 each morning, and power tools and construction noise could be heard starting just before 8 a.m. each morning. We were out and about as much as possible during the day to avoid the attendant noise. While, as hotel staff point out below, the hotel has no control over construction projects in the area, prospective travelers certainly should be made aware of upcoming projects in the course of making a reservation. Nothing happens on the Vineyard without a lengthy approval process, and, I'll bet, notice to abutters.
Also very nearby is a bar…while we heard the crowd watching a Bruins playoff game one night, this generally did not present an issue, and was even kind of fun. There is, however, noise of some sort of air conditioning or ventilation system coming from that building during the bar's operating hours. And not a subtle noise. If you keep your doors and windows closed, you will mostly be able to tune it out. (Room air conditioning was great, and not disruptive.)
Kind of disappointing though, as Surfside has a lovely patio area with landscaping that someone clearly takes great pride and care in. I would have liked to have spent more time enjoying the fresh air and comfy chairs in that space if the aural atmosphere was more restful.
It seems the hotel is playing host to construction and other workers who are here to work on the island. As I wrote this review, at 9:30 p.m., there were several commercial vans in the parking lot, and a large box truck's back up beep was audible as it tried to maneuver into one of the few remaining spots in the lot. (We never had trouble finding a spot in the lot.)
Our fellow guests were mostly quiet and respectful. On our final night, however, it took a personal request by me, and several visits by front desk staff to deal with three guests who were hanging out on the third floor balcony adjacent to our room, smoking and socializing. While it was early in the evening, the fact that I could hear them over a radio in our room, a thunder, lightning and rain storm, *and* the aforementioned bar ventilation system while our room doors and windows were closed should indicate to you scope of the issue.
The upshot is that the front desk staff did deal with the situation, and an hour later, these jokers finally quieted down. If a restful atmosphere is important to you, I think you can count on Surfside staff to back you up.
This situation aside, noise from other rooms next to and below ours was as you would expect. The occasional dog barking, muted voices, a shower in the room next door. All reasonable and easily tuned out.
If I were to travel to the island again with a pet, I might stay again at the Surfside. But without a pet, for a vacation in the immediate future, I'd explore one of the many other Oak Bluffs options away from these active construction zones.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As a Pet Friendly and family owned and run motel we invite well behaved pets to vacation with their owners and enjoy our special pet amenities while you enjoy our air-conditioning, private phones, cable color TV, refrigerators in every room (Jacuzzis and microwaves in select rooms and suites), beautiful gardens, and exceptionally friendly staff. Rooms are available with a queen-size bed, two queens, two twins or a handicap accessible room. Two room suites have a queen-size bed in the bedroom and queen-size pull out sofa in the adjoining living room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity so you can book your Martha's Vineyard Surfside Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Martha`s Vineyard Surfside Hotel Oak Bluffs
- Marthas Vineyard Surfside Hotel
- Hotel Marthas Vineyard Surfside
- Martha's Vineyard Surfside Motel Oak Bluffs, MA