“Very relaxing stay!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Oak Bluffs
Boston, Massachusetts
“Very relaxing stay!”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We had a wonderful stay at the Peqout Hotel. My husband and I stayed here with another couple. We shared a two story suite with them. The rooms were very charming and comfortable. I found the hotel, our room and the bathroom to be very clean. The staff was great. Nancy was very helpful by giving us resturants suggestions and how to navigate the island. We thought the breakfast was delicious and had a nice variety of items to pick from. I also loved the yummy chocolate chip cookies that were offered in the afternoon. The location of the hotel was within walking distance to lots of shops, many great resturants, the beach, the ferry and a beautiful park. We had a relaxing stay and so much fun. Can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Lisa A, General Manager at Pequot Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Dear Thankful119,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us at the Pequot. I'm happy to read that you were pleased with your visit and that you would like to return one day. We certainly would love to see you all again!

Thank you for mentioning Nancy. She is indeed, a wealth of knowledge regarding where to visit, play and dine here on MV and is happy to share her insights with Pequot guests. I will be sure to pass on your kind words of praise to her!

When you are ready to book your next stay, please call directly as the larger rooms and suites such as room 9 (where you stayed), can be booked only over the phone, not online. And more importantly, we always welcome the opportunity to chat with our guests, returning and new alike.

With my warmest regards,
Lisa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Rindge, New Hampshire
Reviewed June 1, 2014

I loved staying at this hotel. I went with my husband for the weekend. Our favorite experience there was Friday night wine and cheese. We met guests from all over the world. The only reason we gave this hotel a 4 is that the mattresses made our ribs ache. They duvets were comfortable, the pillows were too thin, the sheets were ok, but the mattress was just not comfortable. The staff were ALL friendly and the continental breakfast was very nice. They even had quiche every morning. There are plenty of large rocking chairs on the porch for enjoying the sea breezes. You can't see the water from the hotel, but you can walk there in 2 minutes. It is situated in a nice neighborhood and within walking distance of the bus stop and many eating establishments. I highly recommend this and would definitely stay again. I would request an additional pillow and request a third floor room. It is an old building and we could hear the upstairs people walking, bumping and talking all night, well after quiet hours. A third floor room will alleviate that problem. We know we could have said something but were trying not to rock the boat. I would recommend this to my friends and my TripAdvisor followers. :-)

Room Tip: Rooms on third floor less noise. Steer clear of room 32-it is right at foot of the staircase. Lots o...
Lisa A, General Manager at Pequot Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Songwarrior,

I’m so pleased that you loved your stay and we sincerely loved having you. I hope you will schedule your next visit very soon! Please call me directly when you do, so that I can assist you in choosing a room that best suits your needs.

Our Friday Night Porch Party has turned out to be very popular with our guests; glad you are one of them! It is indeed a wonderful way to meet fellow Pequoters, guests and staff alike. We enjoy hosting the parties as well. It’s such a nice way to spend time with our valued guests.

As far as your comment about your mattress, I was so sorry to read that you were uncomfortable. Our guests’ comfort is something we take very seriously and to find out that you didn't sleep well is something that is disturbing to us.

The brand of mattress in the room that you stayed is a Sealy Posturepedic Titanium 600i Plush. These mattresses are used by many hotel groups, such as Hyatt, Sheraton, and Four Seasons – just to name a few. The mattresses in the section where you stayed are 2 years-old. None of this matters, of course, since you weren't comfortable. But rest assured (no pun intended!) we strive to provide a quality product to ensure our guests’ comfort and sleep. Again, I’m sorry that you didn't sleep well while you were here.

We loved meeting you and look forward to once again welcoming you to the Pequot Hotel.

Warmest Regards,

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed May 31, 2014

This was my first stay on Martha's Vineyard and it was a very pleasant surprise. First of all, the island is really nice and the different characters of the towns are very interesting to observe.

We chose the Pequot Hotel based on its Tripadvisor rating and we were not disappointed. It is a nice hotel, which is very close to the beach (about a 2 minute walk), and lies in the pretty and quirky (in a good way) town of Oak Bluffs. Oak Bluffs was the town, which I liked best on Martha's Vineyard and it's an excellent base to explore the island. It is a very tranquil town with some cool restaurants and stores.
The breakfast was just OK and leads to my slight down grading from a five star rating.

We did not pre-reserve our trip on the ferry (we took the car over) and in hindsight I would recommend doing this in advance to save you some worries about getting to and from the island without sitting in the stand-by for too long.

2 Thank Xabbu
Lisa A, General Manager at Pequot Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Xabbu,

I'm so pleased that your first stay on Martha's Vineyard was a pleasant one. If your travels bring you back this way, I hope you will once again choose the Pequot.

I'm pleased you enjoyed exploring our diverse Island. You are correct; each town has it's own special charm and attraction but are all quite different, as you mentioned, and well worth visiting. I hope you were able to visit the beautiful clay cliffs of Aquinnah as well!

Your comment about breakfast provides me with the perfect opportunity to perhaps clarify for future guests exactly what is offered here at the Pequot as it seems to have been a matter of some confusion in the past.

As advertised on our website, a complimentary continental breakfast buffet is included in every Pequoters stay. In an effort to add more variety and more nutritious options to the 'typical continental fare' of cereals and pastries, we supplement our continental breakfast with: organic steel-cut oats (with all the fixings!), almond milk, hard-boiled eggs, peanut butter, Nutella, quiche, yogurt, fresh fruit as well as gluten-free items for those guests who have sensitivities. This is all in addition to the more 'traditional' continental items that we also serve which include: freshly baked muffins and scones, four different types of bagels, English muffins, and three varieties of cold cereal as well as coffee, teas, milk, individual servings of cream cheese, pats of butter, and orange juice.

We're a hotel of 32 rooms. On a typical morning, we serve 60-80 people for breakfast. Offering a cooked-to-order hot breakfast is not possible, practical, or something that we're physically equipped to provide - which is why we are very careful not to allude to offering anything more than what we do each and every day for the six months that we are open. Which is our expanded, complimentary, continental breakfast.

There are several restaurants, whom we gladly refer to for those guests who enjoy having their hot made-to-order breakfasts served to them, nearby that are tasty and easily accessible.

Thank you so much for choosing the Pequot Hotel and for taking the time to offer us feedback about your stay. Contributions like yours are always appreciated!

With my warmest regards,

Reviewed May 30, 2014

Very quaint hotel with friendly and helpful staff central location easy walk from ferry but car recommend to get the best out of the whole vineyard the rooms were quiet and clean and breakfast though simple had fresh fruit and plenty of baked goods to choose from coffee on tap all day with cookies in the afternoon will certainly stay at the Pequot on our next trip

• Stayed May 2014
oklahoma city
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Stayed 2 nights. It was just the start of high season, so lots of places were already booked, or were very expensive. This place was relatively cheap. It's cheaper in the middle of the week than the weekends, so if you are flexible, try that.

Pros:
It's a very quaint hotel. When you first walk up to it, you'll see the nice balcony with rockers and tables in the courtyard. There's fresh cookies 2pm. Breakfast is simple, but good. Hard-boiled eggs, breads, muffins, some fruit, yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, quiche. Location is good. It's a 5 minute walk into the center of town and to the bus stop and ferry. The staff were, just like most people on the island, are extremely friendly and helpful. At checkout, Nancy was very cheerful and helpful after discussing what I thought was a glitch in their booking system.

Cons:
The shower is a 1/4 shower. And at one point the pressure died. The walls are thin, so you can hear your neighbors a bit. The bed isn't the highest quality. The window unit A/C makes it very cold when it's cold outside. I'm assuming the switch these out with the season, so no big deal. There was some construction work outside, and the workers were kind of loud and a bit too much with the vulgarities (not that it's 100% within the hotel's control).

Overall, we liked it and would stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Lisa A, General Manager at Pequot Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Dear redningja,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Pequot. As such a seasoned traveler and reviewer, we appreciate your specific comments as they enable us to constantly upgrade and improve our customer service and our guests' experiences.

I'm pleased you enjoyed our friendly staff, our lovely front porch and our expanded continental breakfast. Glad you enjoyed the afternoon cookies too!

You specifically mentioned Nancy, one of our front desk staff members. She has been a valued member of our team for three years now, we are fortunate to have her and I will pass on your compliment to her. Thank you!

We have 32 rooms here at the Pequot of varying sizes and configurations. You are correct, some are indeed modest in size but some are also quite spacious so if your travels bring you back this way, call me directly so I can best assist you in choosing the most appropriate room for your needs.

Regarding your comment on the beds, all have been replaced over the past two seasons and to my knowledge most of our guests find them to be quite comfortable. I'm so sorry that you didn't but I do understand that the firmness/softness of mattresses is a matter personal taste.

And finally, thank you for the heads up regarding the minor construction project across the street from the Pequot (which, by the way, is almost complete as this is written and I expect will be complete once this response posts). I mentioned your comment to the foreman and he assured me he would speak to his crew. So thank you again for alerting me to the situation.

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us,
Kindest regards,
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My parents and I recently stayed in the Pequot's lovely two-story suite for four nights over Memorial Day weekend. We were on the island to prepare for my sister's upcoming wedding in Oak Bluffs. The Pequot was the perfect place to stay, not only for its convenience and proximity to the ferry, restaurants, beaches, etc. of Oak Bluffs, but more importantly for its true fulfillment on the word "hospitality."

Every day at the Pequot begins with a breakfast that goes far beyond what is typically termed "continental" -- even after we finished our oatmeal and quiche, we couldn't help but taste the homemade scones and muffins. And after all the fresh-cut fruit in the morning, the hotel left out apples and bananas all day for snacks. We met Nadir, the woman behind this daily feast, and got all too used to waking up to the smell of her latest creations. As if breakfast weren't enough, the Pequot offered a wine and cheese happy hour on Friday night and put out fresh-baked cookies every evening.

Under manager Lisa's direction, the Pequot makes so many efforts to ensure that each guest enjoys the hotel and the island at large. Lisa gave us daily driving directions and an excellent dinner reservation in town. She greeted us by name every time we returned to the hotel and helped us put plans in place for the wedding weekend in September. Vesna and Paulette at the front desk were equally warm and knowledgeable.

Lisa's team creates an atmosphere where guests can truly feel at home. We would warmly recommend the Pequot to anyone visiting Martha's Vineyard, for the first time or the hundredth time, and we are already looking forward to more pleasant evenings on the perfect porch.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank EtiquetteWatch
Boston
Reviewed May 25, 2014

As so many other reviewers have written, great location (1 block to the ocean and beautiful neighborhood very close to shops, restaurants), very friendly staff, porch party to bring guests together, mimosas on rainy/cloudy mornings, homey and comfortable.

And one very special note about the staff at Pequot - We stayed for 3 nights. With one night left to go, we received a call from the staff while we were out exploring at 11:30am. There was some confusion, they thought we were checking out that morning and the hotel was totally booked for that night. Everyone stayed calm (I'm sure there was some stressful scrambling for the staff) but for 30 minutes as we explored we were wondering what would happen, could they kick us out? Lisa called and very sincerely said, 'We are so sorry for interrupting your time on the island. We look forward to seeing you when you return to the inn.' And we came back to a personal note (We are glad you are here) and bottle of wine from Lisa and the staff, a perfect response to a challenging situation.

As others have said, the rooms are a bit dated but our room (#8) was huge and on the first floor (good news for me since I was on crutches). Yes, the back porch (where folks can eat breakfast) and kitchen are behind Room #8 but it wasn't an issue for us. The key here is you are on Martha's Vineyard, hopefully you are not spending much time in your room!

Lisa A, General Manager at Pequot Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear LoriAnderson B,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to the Pequot. It was certainly our pleasure having you as our guests!

I will really look forward to seeing you and your husband when you return. Please call me directly when you are ready to book your stay as we always offer consideration to our repeat Pequoters.

Again, our pleasure!
#2 of 3 in Oak Bluffs
Oak Bluffs Inn
Oak Bluffs Inn
#1 of 15 in Oak Bluffs

Been to Pequot Hotel? Share your experiences!