“First time here, definitely coming back!”
Review of The Dockside Inn

The Dockside Inn
Ranked #2 of 15 Oak Bluffs B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I never write reviews for places i stay at when i go away, but I just wanted to throw something up here showing my appreciation toward the very friendly staff at Dockside Inn. The room was very clean, up to date and the views are great. My wife and I stayed here for our anniversary and had a blast. The hotel is within walking distance to all the fun bars and shops in the area, not to mention the ferry as we were going back to woods hole. I'd recommend this great establishment to anyone looking for a fun time in the Vineyard!

2  Thank Scott W

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We enjoyed a long weekend in oak bluffs with our hosts at dockside inn... Great location and newly renovated, the inn offers a Rolls Royce courtesy car, which they were kind enough to allow us to make a special arrival for our dear friends 50th anniversary nearby. The owner John is very helpful and charming -- like his entire staff. Lovely backyard patio with jacuzzi and breakfast snack room made this so comfortable and convenient. Highly recommend this great find!

Room Tip: Face back to patio, we enjoyed the quiet
1  Thank Norbert B
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Don't like too many Inns but this place "Downside Inn" was a good surprise. The place was very clean, people very friendly and helpful, walking distance to many good attractions (the beach, restaurants, ferry, shops and more) and with a great price. They make these wonderful gourmet chocolate chip cookies that are simply delicious. I had a great time there.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Linhelle H
Reviewed August 22, 2013

this was our first time staying here and we were very happy with the room, its so close to everything for some it may be to close to every thing ,but we like that, its right on the docks where all the restaurants and bars are, i was concerned at first thinking it would be to loud over night, but we didnt here anything,we did have the ac on all night wich helped muffel out any noise, if the windows were open it would be noisey, its very clean and i like the porch you can sit on and watch the people go by, its closest to the island queen ferry,so hardly any walking from pier to hotel. they hold your luggage while you go off and play and have beach stuff you can borrow,nice feature. we will stay here again, friendly staff.

1  Thank sarah l
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Very friendly accommodating staff and maid service. Free water bottles handed out right at signing in. Tour of the place providing all the beach gear should you need; chairs, umbrellas, towels, coolers, rain umbrellas, sunblock and an outdoor shower, seating area; solarium filled with snacks, popcorn, microwave, and fridge of ice creams, yogurts, fresh fruits, nice big homemade cookies, not the packaged ones; chips, pretzles, bottled water, fruit and nut snack bars, Kureg tea, coffees, cocoa open -7am to 10pm. Hottub, if so inclined. Internet, Xfinity cable TV, large closet, bathroom, fridge in the bathroom; iron/board, hair dryer, large spray shower head. Room 5; spotless, fresh, cool working shades for night and daytime. Room is right near a lot of activity though; kids running up and down the wooden porch, lots of talking and doors closing. Front porch has nice rocking chairs to relax, Hyline right across the street, and Steamship Auth. up the street, a few minutes walk. Very nice choice to stay and feel comfortable and safe. Cons: Two things: Double bed should at least be a queensize for the price and the AC is right near the bed; cannot deflect away and up from blowing right on you, if that's what you like...but would definitely recommend the Dockside Inn and stay there again.

Room Tip: Oops No fitness center, no pool.
2  Thank CapeCodLady39
Caleb_Caldwell, Owner at The Dockside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

We are gratified that this guest mentioned so many positive things about the Dockside Inn. It sounds as if they had the same great experience that so many of our wonderful guests have. We just wanted to clarify that all of the beds at the Dockside are queen-size; we do not have any double (full-size) beds. As well, the louvered vents on our AC units are indeed adjustable, but it does require that the maintenance staff actually remove the vent and flip it upside down; it takes less than a minute. If you're staying with us and the AC is bothersome just let us know and we will be happy to make the adjustment for you.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I booked a vacation back in jan. to stay at the dockside inn in oak bluffs mass on the vineyard. I conducted a lot of research to find the best place to stay on the island. My girlfriend and I looked through dozens of places to stay. We wanted to stay in oak bluffs because we have heard from others that that was the place to be. So after reading many positive reviews I chose the dockside inn room 21. I proposed to my girlfriend on the first day we arrived on the beach and the dockside inn made it all possible. here is why.
I have to be honest from the start. Those 5 days were the best 5 days ever. The dockside inn is the BEST place to stay on the island. I looked at trip advisor and couldn't not believe that they are ranked number 3. they should be number one and I will tell you why.
As soon as we got off the island queen ferry we were like a 3 minute walk from the ferry to the dockside inn. we arrived at 1:00 pm and our room wasn't ready. that was ok because check it is at 3. they have a huge room where you can store your luggage and it is very safe. We stored our luggage and bags and got to walk around oak bluffs. when we returned at 3. We were greeted by smiles from Vicki, and she said its champagne toast fri. we each got a free glass of champagne. where can you get that in a hotel. Her service was beyond friendly. She was extremely helpful and went above and beyond every time we walked through that front door. After we checked in very easily we got a tour of the inn. At the dockside inn they have FREE TOWELS, beach towels you can bring to the beach and yes they are clean and perfect. they have in the same room, coolers you can take to the beach, goggles and scuba gear, dozens of chairs, a beach buggy to bring all of those items and wheel them to the beach all for free. no signing things out, just take it and go have fun.
they had a luxury out door shower. huge shower head, and 6 jets. so much room in that shower to put clothes and your towel in side. next to the shower a hot tub for like 6 people. all free to use. then next to the hot tub is a room that is un real. they have fully stocked every day, every time I went in that room it was fully stocked, chips (cape cod and lays 2 kinds) pretezels (snyders bags), nature valley granola bars the really good kinds, dozens of different kureg coffees and 2 kureg coffee makers. hood ice cream bars and freeze pops, tons of yogurts, bananas, oranges, apples, oatmeal 4 different kinds, hot water right there on the water machine. fresh baked cookies on certain times and fresh pastry in the morning. free gumball and free malted milk ball from the gum ball machines. no money needed. I could not believe that was all stocked all the time and we could take as much as we wanted. they also had tea, and they give you a sweet water bottle to fill at the really cold water machine. like a Poland spring machine but better. I bet I left some other food items out but it was so good. I have been to many inns and hotels before, none of them has ever or will ever come close to having you feel relaxed.
We did not take our car over because parking on the vineyard is a night mare. they do a few parking spots, but don't bring your car over, its such a waste. taxi's bring u everywhere and they show up with in seconds to bring you anywhere.
We stayed in room 21 for 5 days. Room was amazing. Balcony with chairs and tables. Room fully stocked with a college size refridgator, multiple hangers, flat screen tv, big really comfortable queen size bed. great shower with huge shower head. fresh clean towels every day, perfect ac and heat right in the room. no bad odor. I wish we stayed in room 20 for the 5 days. my sister came down for one night and stayed in room 20. best picture view of the harbor and the balcony has its own area with a bench and table and multiple chairs. the room was perfect. also had 2 suitcase holders. 2!!!! I cant say enough about this place. the staff went above and beyond. very friendly. very help ful. they also have a board when you first walk in with a lot of different things they write on it to get you out and about.
John the owner was awesome. he was working hard in the laundry room. talking to guests. he saw us out at nancys one day and remembered us and was super friendly. John was great when we had questions. He also has a rolls Royce car, he would of driven us anywhere we wanted, beach, dinner, drinks, all free of charge. John went above and beyond. no other owner could match his personality and people skills. thank you john.
Vicki was at the desk when we arrived. after we checked in and then walked the beach and I proposed to my gf. we returned and I told her. she was so excited for us and gave us a bottle of champagne free on the house for our special occasion. she was great every time we came in and had a question she was very informative. thank you Vicki
lianne and becca were also at the desk and did a great job, very helpful in explaining to us how to get to the best places to eat. thank you ladies.
the house keeping was the best I have ever had. paula, Alexandra, maria, and Katarina. you laides kept the room perfect.
you are a fool if you don't stay at the dockside inn. this is the only inn on the island I will ever stay at. I have no idea how this is number 3. the other 2 places ahead of the dockside inn can not compete with quality. if you stay for 1 day or 7 days. they treat you like royalty.
I just wanted to say thank you John and all the members of the dockside inn. you made our vacation the best. thank you so much. everyone stay at the dockside inn and remember book ahead the rooms go fast. get room 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, they have the best views!

Room Tip: rooms 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 are on the 2nd floor. you have to walk up steps, but have the best harbor v...
2  Thank James P
Reviewed August 18, 2013

August 16-19, 2013: Dockside Inn has far exceeded my expectations! John is an excellent hotelier and his staff is friendly and informative. Great location is central to all the key spots in Oak Bluffs and Circuit Ave. I've visited Oak Bluffs a number of times, always staying in the same B&B. this year, the B&B was booked and I was referred to John at Dockside. John made me feel welcomed from my first phone call. And, his phone personality is the same in person!

The room was clean and comfortable. The room fridge was an unexpected perk! The lobby was welcoming and the lounge room was filled with thoughtful snacks, coffees, teas, and yes, even ice cream bars! The garage was filled with all the necessary beach equipment...chairs, coolers, towels, umbrellas, even an ice machine. Oh, did I mention the freshly backed cookies and the Friday afternoon champagne!

Dockside is my newest favorite place on the Vineyard! The website is 100% accurate.

Room Tip: Stayed in Rm 1...a bit noisy at night because of the close proximity to the businesses across the st...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
#2 of 4 in Edgartown
Nashua House Hotel
Nashua House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Oak Bluffs

Been to The Dockside Inn? Share your experiences!