“Very busy but cozy atmosphere”
Review of The Sidecar Cafe & Bar - CLOSED

The Sidecar Cafe & Bar
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Very busy but cozy atmosphere”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Saw a few reviews on this place and decided to give it a try. The space is small and was quite crowded when we went included the patio are out front. Immediate kudos to the patrons outside encouraging us to come in. We always eat at the bar and lucked up with 2 tables on the end. The primary bartender was a gentleman with an extremely surely and unhelpful disposition. However one of the other servers (possible manager or owner) was a sweet Australian lady who made the entire experience magnificent. We tried a little of everything. The mushroom cigars were a little overcooked but extremely tasty. The cured and cured was filling with an abundance of bread. Our final course was the Ginger Dusted U-10 Scallops, they were perfectly seasoned and cooked and the potion was larger than expected. We would have stayed longer to drink but again the bartender didn't make us feel very welcome. The bathroom was tiny but very clean with lots of eclectic charm. There is also a hidden sitting lounge back there!

• Visited August 2013

Tampa, Florida
“A bad dining experience”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

In our weeklong stay in MV, our dinner at MV was our worst dinner experience. I had fish that was dry and overcooked, my friend had the veggie special that tasted like it used the crappy cheese you get from those green Kraft containers.

Visited July 2013
Somerville, Massachusetts
“Delicious, but heavy”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I would definitely recommend the deviled eggs and the lobster mac and cheese. We also got the mushroom cigars, which were good, but there was nothing special about them, and we got the burger. I thought the burger was focused more on the toppings then the actual burger. The pickled zucchini and balsamic onions on top were delicious, but the burger was bland and overcooked (they didn't even ask how we wanted it cooked). The Lobster Mac and Cheese was absolutely delicious! However, it is such a large portion and so heavy that the two of us could have split that for our entire meal.

Visited August 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Terrible Food”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We went here for dinner because the other restaurant we wanted to go to was full. Although I'd seen that recently there were some one star ratings for this restaurant, we figured maybe they'd had a bad night. Well, we went and felt the same. Their menu is very small, so you figure that the few items they do have would be well thought out, not so much. As an appetizer, my husband and I split the pulled mozzarella and tomato salad with balsamic drizzle. As a bonus, the appetizer had this inedible green-jellied-like component attached to the cheese, and a strange hummus-like substance of some sorts. I do not know how this could be served as a dish because it was awful. The one good thing was the balsamic.

As entrees, there was only a handful to choose from. The scallops did not sound appealing having ginger as a main ingredient, so my only other option was a burger. If you only have a handful of main entrees, and a burger is one of them, I expect it to be a good burger. We both asked for it cooked medium and there was no pink in the center. It was close to well done. Instead of a bun they had focacia bread. I normally love focacia bread so I thought it sounded interesting, but the herbs were so powerful in the bread, you could not taste anything other than the bread, and it was stale, so we went low-carb and just ate the non-juicy burger without the bread. One of our friends got the scallops and they were overcooked. Because of other reviews, I did not get the lobster mac and cheese, as other reviews pointed out, they use Velveeta. Someone in our party got the mac and cheese and confirmed that that was used. Needless to say, we will not be back. I wish I had a better experience to report.

• Visited July 2013
Plymouth, Massachusetts
“Yummy noises while table dancing!!!!”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

When you put that first bite in your mouth and something happens that has never happened before, you know you are in the right restaurant. While on our yearly Martha's Vineyard get away with friends (Nancy & Dennis) along with my husband Paul, we wanted to go some place different than a tavern. We actually planned on going to another restaurant, but, they could not take us, The Red Kat Kitchen.(their loss) as we walked up Kennebec St. my husband noticed a little place where people were eating out on a little patio it was called the Sidecar Cafe & Bar. We walked in and asked if they had room for four people and they said yes, our private party room is not in use we can seat you their. That was cool and quirky. really fun. They poured us water took our drink order and then our appetizers. We ordered the deviled eggs, a surprise to see on the menu. Delicious, When our meals arrived I took that first bite and started spontaneously dancing in my chair and making yummy noises!!!! Honest to God! then I realized the others were doing the same thing. It was the best meal I ever had. I ordered the flat iron stake with these little potatoes and roasted asparagus, I know it sounds simple and maybe it was but the flavors and the precise cooking of everything was excellent. It also makes a huge difference to have food right from the farm to the table. We had been speaking to the woman who came in to ask how things were for quite some time when we discovered she was part owner of the restaurant. Sam, (Sam I Am) she was social, sweet and very very funny. We asked if we could buy the chef a drink and she said he would love that. (shot of Jamison) a few minutes later the Chef came out to thank us and we spoke with him for a while, we told him how terrific his food was and he was very happy to hear it. His name is Jeff and he is 6'5 and very talented chef. So the next visit to Oak Bluffs run don't walk to the Side Car Cafe on Kennebec St. Ann Ferlad

• Visited July 2013