“This hotel is not safe”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Walpole, Massachusetts
“This hotel is not safe”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed at this hotel May 29th and had a terrible experience. At 5am I saw the bill had been slipped under the door. It was right at the door neatly lined up at right angles to the door. At noon when I woke up again the bill had been moved more than one foot from the door and was no longer lined up. Someone had ignored the Do Not Disturb card which was in the card swipe; the DND card had to be lifted out before a card swipe could be used. SOMEONE OPENED THE DOOR WHILE I WAS SLEEPING!!! I had not used the extra locks; lesson learned. Worse yet, when I reported this intrusion to the Front Desk the GM told me that it never happened! She took 30 seconds to "check with housekeeping" and repeated that it never happened. I told her how the bill had been moved and she insisted that it never happened. Unbelievable. If you have to stay here use the extra locks and don't count on the GM for professional or decent behavior.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Margaret B
HamptonBOSNWGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Boston-Norwood, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
I am sorry that you did not feel safe when you visited our hotel. As you can see from the other reviews about our hotel numerous travelers have found our hotel to be safe, friendly and welcoming, I recall your incident and I also recall that the Police escorted you from our property after you explained your situation to them. As I told you that day and I will assure you again, the safety of our guests is our number one concern!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Minnesota
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed at this hotel from Thursday until Tuesday morning as we were in town for my son's wedding. From the moment we arrived until the time we left, this hotel met all of our needs. Even before we arrived I received an email from the hotel welcoming us. We had a King Suite, one bedroom suite. It was very clean and spacious. The bathroom was large and every day had more than enough towels. During the week days they have a manager's evening social hour with free appetizers, wine and beer. The breakfasts were very filling and different each day. There was always some kind of egg, breakfast meat, waffles, french toast, juices, coffee's, cold cereal,oatmeal, fresh fruit, breads, sweet rolls, etc. The free shuttle takes you within a 5 mile radius of the hotel and to two different shopping centers. There are Italian and Mexican restaurants that were in walking distance.

I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. Hope I have a chance to stay there again.

Room Tip: Get a hotel overlooking the golf course.
2 Thank jakebelle
Bonita Springs, Florida
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We requested a 2 queen bed room and must have be assigned to the handicapped wing.......there were only 2 rooms on the first floor near the dining area. While this is great for anyone who can't walk far the room #102 was very dark and uninviting. Everything else was fine......nice big breakfast dining area for our whole group to gather in.

Room Tip: Room 102 is too dark.....need better light bulbs since there isn't much light in the room natura...
3 Thank stulimom
Atlanta
Reviewed June 8, 2013

This is a great location for business travelers working South of Boston and down to Foxboro. Centrally located at #1 and 95, it's easy to get anywhere quickly. Restaurants close by are great. Acapulcos, Chateau, Jake n Jims all are very good. Hotel is quite, clean and a good value. Only issue is pool is closed M-F during day, so don't take kids or expect to swim/hot tub then.

2 Thank Batterz-up
Chantilly, United States
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Hampton Inn at Norwood is one of the most pleasurable places we stayed at over the years. The friendly staff treat you like family they and are courteous and helpful. The free complimentary breakfast cannot be beat! Best of all it is a great location for access to Boston, nearby shopping and dining! Hampton Inn Norwood is my first choice for a Boston Stay and it is affordably priced! On numerous stays it has proved itself as an excellent choice!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 3, 2013

What set this Hotel apart from others I have stayed is the personal touch. It is not too big, it feels like home because after a day or so, the staffs at the reception get to know you. The staffs takes care of everything and are so thoughtful. The breakfast has more variety than some big hotel and it's home cooked and yummy. You can stay healthy by eating the healthy stuffs or you can spoiled yourself to an American breakfast. If you think this place is out of norway, don't worry, they provide shuttle to the nearest train station and they even drop you off to work. For the first time in US, I did not feel the pressure to have to tip someone for doing something for me. Excellent value for money. Definitely the place to stay if you are in Boston.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We like Hampton Inns; they're not fancy, but they are absolutely consistent, with nice rooms (on par with "better" hotels), free parking and included breakfast. This one was an excellent example of the chain.

Getting to/from the hotel was easy, we drove in from Logan airport and don't know the city.

As always, the staff at the desk were very nice and helpful-- particularly notable was they had a brochure for area restaurants (I wish all hotels had that!), and even knew some which had gluten-free options! Also, when we needed tape to repair a gift bag, they turned up packing tape, which was perfect and strong. They really do care about making their guests' stay a good one.

The parking lot in front of the hotel isn't that big, but we could always find a spot (there was additional parking to the side). There's a nice covered portico, which was useful given it was pouring all weekend, and the desk is easy to find. With coffee always available next to it.

The building's a bit of an odd shape, so it felt like a long walk to our room, but the signage was clear enough. They gave us a free upgrade (thank you!), and it was one of the king-sized rooms with a bar fridge on the 6th floor. It overlooked the golf course, so we had an unexpectedly pretty view. They had two luggage racks, which was much appreciated, and real hangers. Mattress was newish, bug-free and *very* comfortable (although we arrived to a strange post-it note saying that the linens and duvet were clean-- that was assumed!). No room safe again, but they did have free internet.

The rooms are quiet; we could hear some kids running in the hallways, through the door, but couldn't hear a thing from the rooms next to us (one of which housed the kids).

The bathroom was functional, although I found the vanity a bit wide for putting on makeup (I'm nearsighted so really need to get close to the mirror to be able to see anything!), but I did manage. My husband loved the shower-- water pressure wasn't fabulous, but the showerhead was up by the ceiling so he could actually stand under it (he's tall). That made him every happy!

The breakfasts were OK. The eggs the first day included ham, which would be an issue for some (Jews/Muslims/vegetarians), and the second day were "flavoured" with processed cheese <shudder>. They did have both fruit salad and fresh fruit available, which was very nice, and given it was cold and rainy, I appreciated the oatmeal. Yogurt was sickly sweet, inedible. Taste of their eggs/french toast/sausage/oatmeal/etc... well, we probably would have been complained in an actual restaurant, but as it's included, it's under the "good enough" heading.

If you golf, it's on a course. If you like cars, there's an unexpected treat across the street: a Maserati and Ferrari dealership! Yes, we went and admired the beautiful mobile artwork :) (Actually, that part of Route 1 is covered in car dealerships, but the rest are for conventional marques).

We were in town for a family event; if we ever return to that part of Boston exurbs, we will definitely stay in this hotel again!

Room Tip: We got a room overlooking the golf course, on the 6th floor. Pretty and quiet. The king-sized room...
Green Features: There were signs on the elevator doors, and I liked that there was recycling in the rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AlizaFromOttawa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwood
The Four Points by Sheraton Norwood Hotel & Conference Center
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Norwood-Boston Area
Residence Inn Boston Norwood/Canton
Homewood Suites by Hilton Boston/Canton, MA
Hilton Boston Dedham
Hilton Boston Dedham
#1 of 4 in Dedham
Courtyard Boston Norwood/Canton

Been to Hampton Inn Boston-Norwood? Share your experiences!