“Good food, no frills!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wendell's

Wendell's
Ranked #18 of 41 Restaurants in Norton
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Norton, Massachusetts
“Good food, no frills!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

Wings are great, not cheap. Fries are awesome, wide crinkle-cut. Everything is extra. Blue cheese with your wings, extra. Food to go, they charge you for the take out container. They even charge for a side of mayo. Cash only. Not a very friendly staff. The food is pretty good, but the place hasn't been updated for decades.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Portsmouth, Rhode Island, United States
“What a ripoff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

Went on for wings knowing it's a "hole in the wall" kinda place, stood for 10m without being told, take a seat, wait a minute, had to ask the waitress if it was ok to sit anywhere. Ordered food and waited... while waiting the leg of my wife's chair beaks and she hits the floor, many gasps later, waitress asks if she is OK. Bruised but OK she says I'm fine. Wing arrive overcooked!! The bill arrives and we are charged $21 for a pitcher of Harpoon!! Surprised I ask the manager if it's a mistake, we are in Norton not Newport!! He says that's what we charge, I tell him about my wife's spill and he accuses me of trying to get free beer! DON"T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY!!!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Rick-Michele N
Boston, Massachusetts
“Cash Only”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

Went here over the weekend and loved my wings. I ordered the regular buffalo ones, which tasted like a combo of hot sauce and butter. I happened to love them, but if you normally get mild hot wings you should probably order one level up from the regular. This place is clearly a dive so I wouldn't go expecting superb service, but we did sit at the bar and our bartender was awesome. He was totally on his game taking orders, answering phones and serving us beers. Can't complain. I would definitely go back for wings, but my advice is not to go on a Sunday and try to avoid the crowds.

• Visited October 2013
“worst ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

I went with my parents,daughter and granddaughter.It was slow maybe 3 other tables.We ordered wings plain,boneless,skinins and wings with sauce.It took 30 minutes to get our food.The food was over cooked and cold.When my mom told the waitress the wings were over cooked we were told they do that for the sauce.Thats great but theirs were plain.The boneless were more batter than chicken.Service was horrible as well.$75 for boneless.skins,hot dog and 4 servings wings (8 per serving,small ones)

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank dbeaupre49
Needham, Massachusetts
“Good wings, bad service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

I had high expectations about Wendell's food. For the most part, it delivered, but at least an hour after it was supposed to.

The wings were definitely chicken wings--good, sure. The Double Dare wings were as spicy as advertised. In short, I liked the food. On that level, it lived up to expectations.

Unfortunately, good food shouldn't come before good service. Since when is it okay for a restaurant to brag about mediocre service as if it is a strength? Since when is it okay to make customers wait 60 minutes (seriously) for wings? It's honestly baffling to me.

I could even live with those faults, though, if I didn't have to deal with unapologetically rude servers. When my party visited the restaurant as students of a nearby college, several of us were denied alcohol despite presenting valid identification. Our denial was due partially to some sort of retrograded book-based identification system and partially to paranoia. I really don't think I should be treated like some sort of rogue because I was upset about not being served correctly. That's how you lose customers.

Overall, I have pretty mixed feelings about Wendell's. I generally root for hole-in-the-wall places, I love wings, and I thought Wendell's wings were quite good. However, many places serve good wings, and I haven't been to places with service much worse than Wendell's. Until they fix that, I won't be coming back.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Been to Wendell's? Share your experiences!