“Cash Only” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wendell's

Wendell's
Ranked #17 of 41 Restaurants in Norton
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Boston, Massachusetts
“Cash Only”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

Went here over the weekend and loved my wings. I ordered the regular buffalo ones, which tasted like a combo of hot sauce and butter. I happened to love them, but if you normally get mild hot wings you should probably order one level up from the regular. This place is clearly a dive so I wouldn't go expecting superb service, but we did sit at the bar and our bartender was awesome. He was totally on his game taking orders, answering phones and serving us beers. Can't complain. I would definitely go back for wings, but my advice is not to go on a Sunday and try to avoid the crowds.

• Visited October 2013

“worst ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

I went with my parents,daughter and granddaughter.It was slow maybe 3 other tables.We ordered wings plain,boneless,skinins and wings with sauce.It took 30 minutes to get our food.The food was over cooked and cold.When my mom told the waitress the wings were over cooked we were told they do that for the sauce.Thats great but theirs were plain.The boneless were more batter than chicken.Service was horrible as well.$75 for boneless.skins,hot dog and 4 servings wings (8 per serving,small ones)

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank dbeaupre49
Needham, Massachusetts
“Good wings, bad service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

I had high expectations about Wendell's food. For the most part, it delivered, but at least an hour after it was supposed to.

The wings were definitely chicken wings--good, sure. The Double Dare wings were as spicy as advertised. In short, I liked the food. On that level, it lived up to expectations.

Unfortunately, good food shouldn't come before good service. Since when is it okay for a restaurant to brag about mediocre service as if it is a strength? Since when is it okay to make customers wait 60 minutes (seriously) for wings? It's honestly baffling to me.

I could even live with those faults, though, if I didn't have to deal with unapologetically rude servers. When my party visited the restaurant as students of a nearby college, several of us were denied alcohol despite presenting valid identification. Our denial was due partially to some sort of retrograded book-based identification system and partially to paranoia. I really don't think I should be treated like some sort of rogue because I was upset about not being served correctly. That's how you lose customers.

Overall, I have pretty mixed feelings about Wendell's. I generally root for hole-in-the-wall places, I love wings, and I thought Wendell's wings were quite good. However, many places serve good wings, and I haven't been to places with service much worse than Wendell's. Until they fix that, I won't be coming back.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Rhode Island
“We were fleeced.....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Not sure what happened in the past few years, but the wings have gotten tiny tiny tiny and cooked to death. Flavor is good but who cares if you are still starving when you leave. Service is super slow -- and no blue cheese dressing until we were almost finished -- and dining room is run down. Worst of all is the check...so much money for so little food. Never again!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Hawaii_traveler200
Chartley, Massachusetts
“It's Good But Reputation May Exceed Actual Experience. You Decide.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Wendell's enjoys cult status in the Buffalo Wing world. As much as it pains me to say, I'm not exactly sure why. Here's the way I see it - I'm local and I love Buffalo wings. If this place was that good, I'd go all the time.

Here are my thoughts - They have a lot going for them in the atmosphere department for a wing place. It's a throwback joint in a throwback town. Wood paneling, dartboards, juke box, etc. They serve really cold beer. They make good sandwiches. It could easily be on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives.And of course, they are all about the wings.

They have the whole range covered from mild to scorching hot. They utilize the two wooden bowl system for serving at the table (one for uneaten wings, one for bones). There is definitely something for any wing lover.

Here are the things I have a hard time overlooking - The wings themselves are a little scrawny. The sauces to me are too buttery. The price is not great. The service is ok but the wait time for food can be excessive. The restaurant is unapologetic about this fact, almost proud of it. They have a little poem about it on the menu.

So in conclusion - The place is unique and very authentic. If you don't mind being patient and doing things on the restaurant's pace then you won't be caught offguard. Your opinion of the wings is up to you. I think they are good, not great.

I want to love Wendell's as much as the reputation but in this case I think it is a matter of style over substance. I definitely think it is worth a visit to decide for yourself.

• Visited June 2013