“Beautiful Bed and Breakfast with wonderful people”

The Centennial House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Northfield B&B and Inns
Webster, Massachusetts
“Beautiful Bed and Breakfast with wonderful people”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Centennial House Bed and Breakfast from January 24-26, 2014. We stayed in the Deerfield Suite. This room has its own private bath with a jacuzzi tub plus a separate room with two twin beds. The main room has one of the most comfortable beds we had slept in. We had a hard time leaving the bed it was that comfortable to us. The inn itself is the epitome of what I feel a country inn should look like. The rooms were all very nice as we peeked in each of the rooms as we walked by on the way to our room. When we first arrived we were grreted by Steve. He gave us a quick tour of the inn and showed us to our room. We met his wife Joan later that evening when we were heading out. Both Joan and Steve were very nice. My husband and I had a great talk with Joan before we headed out to dinner that night.

The next morning we had breakfast in the dining area that is decorated beautifully. There are wood beams on the ceiling, a cozy wood stove, music was playing and overall it was just very relaxing. We were served a nice plate of fruit, then a baked apple with granola and cranberries (I believe it was granola), it was delicious. Then we were served an omelet with bacon. Bread was available to toast if you liked. There was coffee and a choice of juice if you liked. Needless to say in my opinion it was PLENTY of food. I read a few of the negative reviews that complained about the food and personally I don't see what they were speaking of. I find it hard to believe that on any given day these wonderful people would ever serve meager portions or unripened fruit. The next day we were served another lovely breakfast that we were NOT able to finish. This time it was a plate of fresh fruit, juice, coffee, a homemade fruit tart, blueberry pancakes and bacon. All of it was wonderful. Both days my hubby and I were satisfied until 4pm. Andf let me tell you both of us can eat! We had breakfast both days at roughly 8:45am .

Anytime we ran into Joan she stuck around and chatted with us. We felt very welcomed in their beautiful Home. Everyone was great at this Inn. Katie cooked for us on Saturday and was very sweet, Barb cleaned our room up for us and we met their adorable dogs. I have a hard time believing the negative reviews.

Would we come back here; YES in a hearbeat. We love staying at B&B's and love to try new ones but we would definitely like to come back up to Centennial House during the warmer weather.

Thanks to everyone at the Inn for making our weekend so wonderful. We appreciated everything you did for us.

Sabrina & Mike Regan :)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Joan and Steve S, Owner at The Centennial House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Thanks so much, Sabrina and Mike. You were wonderful guests--friendly and open to new places and things. We loved the fact that you sought out a place for your getaway that was consistent with your hobbies and interests--B&B's, antique houses (you've restored one), and a quiet country setting but within reach of restaurants and activities. You had a list of things in the area that you wanted to do based on some advance research, but were flexible enough to explore "off the beaten track" as well, finding a fun place that even we had not heard of for a fun evening out! We are who we are all the time--approachable. Our meals are ample and our standards high. Our staff are friendly, available to help and try to anticipate guest needs but are always ready to go the extra mile when someone has a request. Thanks for taking the time to comment. We look forward to your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed December 31, 2013

My fiance and I visited here in November 2013 and had a fantastic stay! After being in Boston for two nights (and getting engaged!), we found the Centennial House B&B to be very warm and inviting. The room was spacious, clean, and comfortable and we both enjoyed the fireplace and hot tub and other features. Joan and Steve went out of their way to ensure we were comfortable; they were also very knowledgeable about the local community (this is a perfect place to stay for NMH alumni!). As for the food, breakfast was as good as any gourmet meal I've had. The service was top-notch, and everything was prepared exquisitely. The baked apple was scrumptious(!) and the banana bread French toast, bacon, coffee and juice was more than enough to get our day off to a great start! Every detail of our stay was handled with care, and Mike and I are grateful to Joan and Steve for helping to create such a memorable weekend for us!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Rochester, New York
Reviewed August 13, 2013

If you're going to have a bed and breakfast, two things better be great: the bed and the breakfast!

As for the bed, it was a high bed with a very comfy mattress. I like that sort of thing. I slept well, and woke up to a rooster's call. Linens were soft and wonderful.

As for breakfast, as someone else has noted, hot dish items are meager. The brochure pictures of a large bowl of (self-serve?) eggs and potatoes were nowhere to be seen. Instead we were each served precut portions of whatever was made. Breadbasket was only white carbs: bread and English muffins the first day, only bread the second day. The baked good was nice but not the galette in the picture that roped me in. Maybe they set too high expectations for themselves having such incredible food pictures!

I understand quality > quantity but that said, a lot of us have a long day of walking ahead of us, and I suggest they make a self-serve batch of something a bit more hearty even if that would seem less upscale. We don't mind.

The only other thing I will say is: DOGS! When we first arrived we encountered two dogs wandering the house. I was indeed asked if I minded dogs, but being as I just arrived it felt uncomfortable to be put so soon into the position of telling a dog lover that I did not like their beloved pets, so I said I did not mind although I do not like dogs tailing me, rubbing their noses on me, or putting their snout you-know-where. The dogs listened to their owners and were not around during mealtime, but to me, that is something you inform people of in advance. What if I was someone who had severe allergies to pet dander?

Owners are helpful and nice. If breakfast could be stepped up a bit and the dogs not trailing me, I would have gladly given this place another star.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Joan and Steve S, Owner at The Centennial House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
On the same day this was posted we received a review on another well-known travel site (easy to verify) which commented on our breakfast this way: "My expectation for breakfast at any B&B is to leave feeling fuller than I need to be and Joan did not disappoint us!" The photo referenced in the TA review is of a platter of food ready to go out of the kitchen that includes a large coffee cake, a pitcher of OJ, about 8 scrambled eggs, a pound of home fries and about 2 cups of homemade salsa--clearly not a single person portion. Actually, I had looked at the photo earlier last week and made a mental note to take it down because it's nine years old and "old school," that is, not in keeping with the farm-to-table movement that is making our area unique. We are now making our pastries with local flour ground on Monday and delivered on Wednesday, we serve organic fair trade coffee, and use fresh veggies--this year from our own garden! On Sunday we served two poached eggs per person on our own grilled veggie rounds--eggplant, zucchini and tomatoes with a side of grilled Italian toast -- 'and the crowd went wild.' We LOVE to cook and feel it's important to serve dishes that you don't take the time to make for yourself at home. Steve's motto is "Abbondanza!" Breakfast starts with a seasonal fruit plate, a homemade baked good and a hot entrée. For example, on Monday, which I believe is the date this person stayed, we served a huge cobbler made from local blueberries and crispy oat topping. The entrée was a 2" high, dense strata made from eggs, milk, Italian bread, our own broccoli and cheddar cheese--the six servings we needed made in a large roasting pan--big. Each day there is also hot and cold cereal, bottomless OJ and grapefruit juice, toast (we serve farmhouse white or oatmeal), the organic coffee. When the bread basket is empty, all one has to do is ask to have it filled up again, this time with whole grain breads which we always have on hand. Also, it is not uncommon for someone to mention a dish they've seen on the web and ask if we can make it. If we have the ingredients and haven't served it to other guests who are staying over, we'll try to make it happen. Photos are provided as samples, not guarantees. We try new recipes every week to keep it fresh.
About the dogs--we have always had two dogs in our B&B's, the last a popular pair of Corgi's . If the last of the pair, Hamish who lived to be 14, had been alive when we got on Facebook he would have had his own fan page! Guest loved him. Our two new guys are Lenny and Buddy, a pair of 14-month old rescue lab mixes, who have topped out at 18 inches high. They have a 'babysitter' who takes them away from the house during check in time to avoid the hubbub that happened when this reviewer arrived. She had indicated she would arrive at a certain time, didn't and caught us all by surprise ...for about 2 minutes, then it was over. They are working hard to become good B&B dogs, and most guests ask to see them and marvel at how far they've come. Still, we know that dogs aren't everyone's cup of tea and so we ask about allergies three times before you arrive--once on the phone, once in your email confirmation and once in your hard copy, which is mailed with our brochure. Unfortunately, most innkeepers will tell you that guests rarely read the material and one spouse often forgets to mention the allergies of the other on the phone. Finally, I'll mention the free arrival cookies, coffee and tea that are available every day and the bowl of York patties that Steve keeps well-stocked. There's a guest fridge if you'd like to supplement with your own snacks. Nobody goes hungry at Centennial House :)
Hannacroix, New York
Reviewed August 8, 2013

What a great two nights we spent at the Centennial House Bed & Breakfast in Northfield MA. More than just a B&B, the hostess, Joan, was full of local history and we enjoyed talking to her throughout our stay. Our room had a high bed, fireplace, separate bath. It was quiet even though both nights we had several other guests staying around us. We didn't hear any noise at all. We sat in the large Gazebo looking at the garden that Joan and Steve have, using the food for our breakfasts. Joan's breakfasts were wonderful! Omeletts, bacon,toast, fresh fruit, juice, Eggs in a nest (with home fries & bacon).We had a pass to go to the Historic town of Deerfield, over a mile long of tree covered roads, restored homes from the early 1600's, some with self-guided tours, some by appointment. We had dinner one night in nearby Brattleboro VT, dinner the next night in Greenfield, MA. Taylor's Tavern was set up like a RR car! Great stay, and we'll go again! We went tot he Buttery Conservatory & Gardens in So. Deerfield on our way home. That was wonderful too! A lot to see and do, in and around Northfield, MA.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Joan and Steve, along with their two dogs, are wonderful hosts. The property is located in the historic part of Northfield and from there there is easy access to a wide variety of interesting places. The Inn itself is furnished with antiques but is not overly fussy making for a comfortable, relaxed place. The grounds are very nice with outdoor seating. The bed was comfortable and the bed sheets linens exquisite and soft. The entire inn reeks of warmth and comfort. The two sitting rooms downstairs have numerous books about the area for those who want to immerse themselves in the history of the region. Breakfasts are more than ample and served in a large sunny room with views of the garden. Everything was perfect!

Room Tip: Some rooms have high beds, others lower so if you have a preference ask when making your reservation...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Easthampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I visited the Centennial House several times, and are always taken aback by the beauty of the grounds and the coziness of the B&B. Joan and Steve do a wonderful job opening up their home and making feel home to us.
The grounds are beautiful and well-groomed, the interior is cozy, very clean and warm. The food is amazing.
I highly recommend the Centennial House to anyone looking for a warm stay. Why spend the same $ at an unpersonalized hotel when you can spend the same when staying "home away from home" with amazing service and yummy food? Well worth it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Joan and Steve S, Owner at The Centennial House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear S., Thanks so much for your kind remarks. It's great when someone "gets" what we're doing here and what Northfield is all about. We're so happy as well that we're getting more guests like you from Chicopee, Westfield and other towns in the Springfield area for what we call "the hour away getaway"! We'd love to see you again. You're one of the reasons a Mini-Cooper is on my bucket list!! Many thanks, J and S
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Joan and Steve are real professionals and they produced a wonderful experience for us. Joan is a fantastic cook; her breakfasts were outstanding.
The B&B was absolutely charming and our room (Suite) was magnificent. The surrounding area was peaceful and beautiful and the location was near many interesting towns and attractions.
We will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michael_Montreal2013
We always say that it's easy to be nice to nice people but you had us smiling and laughing from the first moment you checked in! We love having guests from Canada. As we discussed and as you heard at Historic Deerfield, Northfield, Deerfield and Montreal have a shared dramatic history that goes back 300 years and makes for some great conversation! Hope to see you again! J and S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Greenfield
#3 of 10 in Brattleboro
Chesterfield Inn
Chesterfield Inn
#1 of 2 in West Chesterfield

Been to The Centennial House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!