“Worst Hotel in 25 Years”

Econolodge Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Northborough
OntarioNortherner
“Worst Hotel in 25 Years”
Reviewed October 17, 2009

The hotel is on the same site as an loud bar with blaring music.
The non-smoking room reeked of stale cigerette smoke.
The second room reeked even stronger of vinegary, spicy, cooking smells that got into all our clothes.
The sofa and chair in both rooms were used, dingy and soiled. The sheers on the windows were filthy. The wallpaper was painted and cracked. The mattress in both rooms sagged badly in the middle, and the only 2 pillows supplied were child size. I dont know how Econo Lodge could allow this shabby furnitures in their hotels? Especially such poor mattresses!
The "deluxe" breakfast consisted of very stale english muffins and a waffle maker. The tables were dirty as was the floor.
We were supposed to stay for 3 nights. We could not. We checked out the next morning, and moved down the road to a hotel that was fresh, clean, comfortable, and CHEAPER!
We would not recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank OntarioNortherner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
New York
Reviewed November 2, 2007

I was very surprised with everything that they offered for such a reasonable rate. We loved that they had a microwave and refrigerator. It's a life saver when you are traveling with 2 year old that wakes up 2 - 3 times a night for warm milk. The staff was great...we didn't know that had cribs and the lady at the desk saw my daughter and asked if we would like one. They even came and brought it to the room and set it up. We haven't seen this type of service in a long time....without dishing out loads of $$$.

• Liked — The service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tiverton, RI
Reviewed August 22, 2007

My husband and I decided to stay someplace close to the DCU Center in Worcester, MA. Our 15-year-old daughter was in the Central New England Karate Championships and we needed to be in Worcester by 8:30AM. We live far enough away that it was just more logical to rent a suite.

THE ONLY reason this ROOM could possibly qualify as a "suite" is the half-wall that separated the bed from the fold-out couch. There were perhaps 2-1/2 feet between the two. We asked for a blanket and pillow for the fold-out couch for my daughter. Neither were available. The "suite" was cramped and uncomfortable. I would NOT recommend this place to anyone travelling with more than just themselves. You'll need to leave the "suite" to change your mind.

• Liked — the fact that the DCU Center was only 6 miles away
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank OldGloryTiverton_RI

Travelers are raving about these Northborough hotels

Charlton, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 18, 2006

I have stayed at this hotel in the past when it was Travelodge and enjoyed my stays very much. I returned again this past fall and found the new hotel to be great. The front desk staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. They were very knowledgeable about the area and events and were able to get me directions to all the places I wanted to go. I will continue to stay at this hotel because the price is right, the rooms are great, the breakfast is fabulous, and the desk agents are superb!

• Stayed September 2005
1 Thank ElmoG15
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 4, 2006

Rate is quite reasonable..room had frig/microwave,coffee maker, iron, hair dryer,27 inch tvs, free high speed internet..had very good breakfast..hot waffles and all that..they also have a sports bar and restaurant on property which is very nice..

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 9, 2005

When I first stayed at this house, it was a couple years ago and was called Travelodge. At that visit, I had a great time. Rooms were clean and staff was very supportive. Rates were inexpensive too. The second visit was this past February 2005. I found out the hotel was under new management and the name changed to Econolodge Inn & Suites. I booked my room a few months in advance for my weeklong business trip. When I arrived the hotel, the staff told me they didn’t have my room booked. I showed them my confirmation, but they had no room booked. Instead of putting me in the room I requested, they put me into a smoking room with handicap accessible. I was not pleased because I’m not handicapped and do not smoke. The room stunk of smoke and the heat did not work well. I froze the first night, even after complaining to them about the conditions. I felt they didn’t want me there, but only wanted my money. The hotel wasn’t 100% booked because the parking lot was over 75% empty. I asked for a different room, but they wouldn’t make the change. They said that since they didn’t have me booked, they couldn’t move me to a different room. That made no sense and I’ve never experienced such a horrible time with hotel staff in my life before this visit. I certainly didn’t experience this from the last hotel staff when it was Travelodge. When it was Travelodge, that management did a complete makeover on the hotel. They changed it into a newer hotel. What happened during the process of the new ownership, I have no idea. Besides the problems with the lack of heat in the room and the smoke smell in the new hotel, but the room was filthy. The toilets were disgusting and looked as if the place had been uncared for many years. There was grime and mold along the tub and sink. It was disgusting to stay there. I could only bear two days of that place then found another hotel in the area that was much cleaner and more affordable. The Econo Lodge also jacked up their prices from before they were Travelodge. I would not recommend this place to anyone. I have stayed at other Econo Lodges and never experienced anything like this before.

• Stayed February 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northborough
Suburban Extended Stay Hotel
Quality Inn & Suites Worcester
Westborough Inn
Westborough Inn
#3 of 9 in Westborough
Red Roof Inn Boston - Southborough/Worcester
Hampton Inn Boston - Westborough
Extended Stay America - Boston - Westborough - East Main Street

Been to Econolodge Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!