“WORST RESTAURANT EXPERIENCE EVER!!”
Review of Wiggins Tavern

Wiggins Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Wiggins Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 150 Restaurants in Northampton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 5, 2013

This was our first time at Wiggins Tavern. We have eaten at many of the fine establishments in Northampton in the past and have been extremely pleased so we figured we would try a new venue. I feel compelled to write this review due to the fact that I don't want anyone to experience what we experienced during our night. From the start it was a disaster. Our table was given to another group with no explanation. I explained to the hostess and manager that I had spoken to 3 of their employee since Nov. 18th and they all assured me that we were all set. We decided no big deal lets just sit down and enjoy the night. Our waiter came over and started to make some weird comments that made my wife and friends extremely uncomfortable. I thought we were on the show "What would you do." At that point we decided to leave to go to another establishment. It was the best decision we made. We will never go back to Wiggins Tavern period. This say this place needs help is an understatement!!!!!

3  Thank Herb S

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Let me begin by saying this is the first time I have written a negative review for any establishment I have visited. Our group was excited to dine at Wiggins Tavern, so much so we booked our reservation 6 weeks in advance. We had people in our party who live in all parts of the state, and this is where everyone agreed they wanted to go The majority of our party is in the professional service industry in some capacity, so treating customers, clients, and patrons with the utmost respect and courtesy is nothing new to us. Wiggins Tavern gave away our table that we had reserved, and had confirmed with FOUR different employees prior to the event. We were put in a very uncomfortable situation from the start, but had every intention of trying to make the best of it. The table the staff put us at was extremely cramped, to the point where we had to shuffle chairs around so people were comfortable. Our server made several sarcastic comments to people in our party, and when the entire situation was brought to managements attention, nothing was done to rectify the situation. Our party has traveled together and gone out to numerous fine dining establishments together and have never had an issue. It was obvious from the start that Wiggins Tavern wants you to feel privileged for having the opportunity to eat there. Our party was graciously welcomed by a restaurant in the area called "Latitude", where we proceeded to feel right at home, and spend lots of money!! In closing, if you are looking to go out to a nice restaurant, have some laughs with close friends you don't get to see very often due to work and family obligations, Wiggins Tavern should not be given a thought.

3  Thank Richard K
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My friends and I had planned a special eveing , several weeks in advance, with our significant others on New Year's eve to go to the tavern. Unfortunatelty, the "special evening" was underscored by the mis-handling of our reservations and then being insulted by the wait staff and subsequenlty the manager. The appetizers were all dressed with the same suace; luckily we didn't stick around for dinner. If you are seeking a special eveining; I would "not" seek out WIGGINS TAVERN.

5  Thank Tony33_13
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I am a local business owner in the service industry and normally would never write a negative review of a local business. In this particular circumstance I feel compelled to.

My wife, some friends and I decided to try Wiggins Tavern due to it being located in Hotel Northampton. To say it was a big mistake would be an understatement. From start to finish I must say we have never experienced such an unprofessional, pretentious staff that made us seem that it was a privilege to eat at their establishment. If you are looking for a comfortable, relaxed, welcomed environment I would recommend many of the other fine restaurants in the Northampton area.

2  Thank Gene L
Reviewed December 25, 2012

While visiting my brother and his family in a nearby town over the Christmas holiday, I decided to stay in the Northampton area on Christmas eve. Although many restaurants and bars were closed by 7 p.m., I found many people - apparently locals and visitors alike - walking around town and taking in the decorations and sites. Although I have stopped in the historic Wiggins Tavern before, this is my first review. Located within the historic Hotel Northampton, the tavern, originally situated in Hopkinton, NH, dates back to the mid-1800s and was relocated here many years ago.
The young bartender, Emma, is obviously proud to work here, is always extremely personable and a master of her art. This spot was crowded and she deftly and rapidly served all of the families and others as well as the staff at service bar with a smile.