“Surprisingly Pleasant”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Northampton
Marlton, NJ
“Surprisingly Pleasant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2007

With all the negative reviews of varying states of cleanliness I'd been reading prior to our stay, needless to say I was a little hesitant. And trust me...pulling up to the hotel was not overly reassuring. HOWEVER, once inside I was a very happy customer.

When you first pull off of Rt. 91 the Clarion is located directly next to the exit. When you pull into Atwood drive you see what you think is a small, not very attractive looking hotel that's tucked behind a shut-down gas station. But the disappointment ended there for us. The lobby is very inviting and the front-desk was professional, efficient and very helpful.

Our room was located in the upper A wing, which was located just off the lobby. I took special note of the carpets since some reviewers mentioned stained carpeting, but I didn’t notice this at all. Before heading there, we visited my sister and her family in the indoor pool which was also located off the lobby. The pool looked clean and very inviting however I will say that there are rooms with balconies located right in that area so it could get very noisy for those rooms. The pool is open until 11 PM. We were only there for a 1 night stay so we didn't get to see the outdoor pool facilities, but heard they were just as nice.

Back to our room - 2 double beds. Average size, not huge but big enough and very clean, the only hint of 'mildew' that we got (as noted in some reviews) was the slight scent in 2 of the 8 pillows they provided (both feather down and imitation down). It really wasn't mildew, as far as I could tell. Just had the slight scent that I sometimes get when I've left my wash in the washing machine overnight (at which point I usually wash it again). At any rate, it wasn't a big deal as we didn't need all 8 pillows anyway. The bathrooms were very clean and the toiletries they provide you with were very nice. The furniture in the room (a desk, nightstand and a dresser) were actually very nice pieces...not your typical hotel furniture. The beds were comfy and the A/C cooled the room very nicely. We were in the front of the building so we weren’t near Rt. 91, but it was VERY quiet. My sister was closer to the highway and didn’t hear anything either.

Breakfast in the morning was just okay. Though the price was right...$5.95 for the cold breakfast buffet (cereal, pastries, toast, fruit) and $7.95 for the hot buffet (all of the above plus a make your own waffle station as well as oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, eggs made to order, home fries and 'breakfast meat of the day' which is actually served by a chef). It was quick and I think we could have presented our room card for an extra 20% off the bill. Upon checking in, the front-desk tells you that you get 20% off your bill at Montana’s when you present your keycard. We weren’t sure whether this applied to breakfast as well and we forgot to ask.

The bar looked nice and my husband and brother in law spent some time there watching a baseball game. The bartender even left the TV on for them when he closed up so they could just hang out.

Internet access - while we didn't use the wireless, there is a computer in the lobby that you can use along with a printer, which I thought was very nice. There is a 20 minute courtesy time limit. But if there's no one waiting they don't bother you at all.

Overall a very nice visit, though I will say I think we paid more than if we had waited until the last minute to just show up. We paid $119 + tax for one night through hotels.com. But we saw advertisements for $79 for the whole weekend while we were there. I'm fairly certain that was for last minute arrivals, and we wanted to make sure we had a hotel room so we booked ahead of time. When we got there they said they had plenty of room. So if you can stand to just wait you will probably get a better rate. There are other hotels in the area - the Howard Johnson down the road looked newer, but there's no reason we wouldn't go back to the Clarion. It is a college town so I’m sure that during typical college events (graduation, etc.) you would have to book ahead of time.

Lastly, the town is REALLY cute. Lots of little shops and restaurants. We ate at Fitzwilly's mainly because it looked like it had something for everyone and the appetizers looked a little different. But there are plenty of places, so take some time and walk around to look at the different menus. If you have a car, and have time take a ride to Mt. Tom's Homemade Ice Cream on Cottage St. in Easthampton. It’s a really easy drive and the owner, Jim makes AMAZING ice cream in a HUGE variety of classic and unique flavors.

• Liked — Their convenient location and clean environment.
  • Disliked — It's exterior image...could use an updating.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank lzybeanie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2007

Good hotel for the price paid ($50 priceline). Hotel is very unique/strange and was probably a very nice place 10 years ago, but has not been kept up as should have been. (Finding my room felt like a psychological exam; compare it to a mouse in a maze) It is about a mile from the town area and a tough walk due to lack of sidewalks for most of it, but can be done. (or $6 cab) Positives include indoor and outdoor pool, bar and restaurant and easy highway access. The only negative is that it is slightly outdated and could use some renovation. However, it was clean. Be sure to check out the Tunnel Bar in Northampton (renovated train tunnel below union station restaurant) and the the Iron Horse.

• Liked — Price and hotel bar
  • Disliked — Outdated
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
Framingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2007

We recently spent a weekend at the clarion and were pleased with our room and the place.

While we heard that some of the rooms were musty. We were told that if you stay in section A, they are ok and since that is where we were, the room was fine.

You are not quite as close to the pool, but that was fine with us.

The rooms have been recently remodeled

Hotel has a computer for you to use to access your e-mail.

Convenient to hwy and downtown Northampton, although you do need a car.

No shop, or availability of snacks during the day. Not sure if any vending machines. They did have coffee in the lobby, but no tea.

Pool area is quite nice.

Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2007

I stayed her due to a work conference and can honestly say it was one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in. Unfortunately I didn't check the reviews first.
I agree with some other reviews - circa 1970s furniture and terrible musty smell in the hallyways and my room. There was so much dust in my room - on lamps, in the bathroom around the mirror and even on the coffee pot! I'm sorry but there is NO excuse for dust - what is housecleaning doing?? One of my towels was also dirty. The wall area around the door safety chain was worn and tattered. In addition, it certainly was not quiet - maybe it is on the other side. My room was over the "overflowing dumpster" mentioned by someone else and near the exit off Route 91 so I got to hear all the trucks as they slowed and rattled toward the exit all night. It was truly awful. Also I could barely get to sleep thinking of what might be lurking in the room. Others at our conference complained of ants in their bathrooms. And it wasn't that cheap - we got a conference rate of $89 and after a certain date it was $119. A collegue stayed at the Holiday Inn in town and it was fine. They must get college students or families of college students to avoid renovating and stay in business. Stay away!

• Liked — nothing, really
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Jasperini

Travelers are raving about these Northampton hotels

Tulsa, Ok.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2007

When we booked the hotel I didn't think it would really even matter where we stayed as long as it was clean, because we would only be in the room to sleep and get ready in the morning, so we didn't need anything extravagant. Wow, was I wrong!!

When we first got there, we just noticed small things... like if your room is in the back and they tell you you have to go in parking area C, there are not many parking spaces close to the stairs. You have to park a little ways from the door you enter, not to mention there was very little outside lighting back there, so it was a little scary to be loaded down with bags walking out there, and I didn't love leaving my car in such a dark lot with only trees behind us.

Then, we got to the room where we quickly found out that hot & cold are backwards on the bathroom sink as we scald our hands a couple times. Next, our air-conditioner quit working in the middle of the night. Our room didn't have any outside doors or windows to open to get some cool air, because it was cold outside. It only opened to the indoor pool area so it filled up with steamy, hot, chlorine smelling air, so you felt like you were trying to get ready in a sauna. It was not very pleasant!! Of course they didn't have any other rooms to move us to.

I was excited to see an extra sink and vanity, thinking this would make it easier for my sister and I to get ready, since we had an important meeting that morning (one area has absolutely no outlets, so that was out). Ok, we'll just both share the bathroom. Well, to get your plugs to stay in these outlets you had to hold your plug in the whole time or it would fall out. So you could stand there and hold it while your flat iron heats up, and then try to flat iron your hair with one hand while holding the plug in with the other, but that didn't really work! So we actually had to both try to get ready at the desk or on our beds so that we would have outlets that worked. Now remember, we are still in a sauna!!

Ok, she's doing her hair at the desk while I'm sitting on the bed drying mine... the power goes out in our room!! We are sitting in the dark and are beginning to run very late for our meeting. We call, and wait, and they get it back on. We begin again to get ready and after about 5 Min's, total darkness!! It's out again. As I try to find the phone to call again, I stub my toe on a suitcase, because of course the room's pitch black! Did I mention how much we are sweating?? We finally get the power to stay on so we could finish our hair, but I had to do my make-up in the car on the way to the meeting because by now we were running very late!

The hotel staff knew about the problems we were having with the room, that we were now going to be late to an important meeting, and that we had already paid to stay one more night. Never were we given a different room, nothing was fixed, and NO form of compensation was made in any way! We were not even offered an apology at check-out!! Of course I had already paid everything through hotels.com, so I couldn't even fight the payment with them, or change hotels for the second night's stay. DON'T STAY THERE!!!

• Liked — wireless internet & matresses were pretty comfortable
  • Disliked — no A/C, power outlets didn't work, power going out in room, vending machines on our floor were out-of-order, no breakfast roomservice, dark parking lot, etc, etc,
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank HollyTulsa
Atlanta, GA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2007

I was scheduled to stay here for six nights last week. I arrived late Friday night, check in, and when I awoke on Saturday morning my room was HOT, and I mean like 85 degrees, it was unbearable, I tried to fix the tempature with no luck. It was room #250. So I called the front desk and they sent a man up who said to give it a little more time and they would fix it, I left for the day, and returned about seven hours later and the room was still the same temp, so I walked down to the front desk and they said they could send up a fan. What a complete joke this was, for $100 a night. They moved me to room #200 which was supposed to be non-smoking but smelled like stale, musty smoke. I told them that the room was not acceptable and I checked out, by this time it was around 6:30pm or so. When I checked out the desk clerk had the nerve to charge me $60 for half a day stay, and he said he could not credit me for the room temp...I currently have a complaint pending with Clarion Hotels and it will take about 7 to 10 days to hear back from them. I understand that this hotel is old and needs work, but the Hotel Northampton is old and is in much, much better condition. Beware of The Clarion Northampton Hotel & Conference Center.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank Dudega1
NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2007

I have stayed at the Clarion a number of times over the past five years while an offspring was at college in the area. Its rates fluctuated between $79 and $179 for the same room depending on what was going on locally. It was always a dependable, safe and reasonably comfortable place to stay for a woman often traveling alone.

In style, it is rather ordinary motel. Anyone who has trraveled a bit has seen its kin elsewhere. The beds are a bit hard and flat, definitely not like Seraton's lovely "sweet sleepers". Its decor does have a dark feel to it and some rooms are at the far end of long corridors, not unlike many motels, but over all, it's not bad.

My kids enjoyed the indoor pool in the center atrium, so we always tried to get a room opening onto it. They can feel a bit humid, so if mold is a concern, ask for a room away from the pool. Complimentary breakfasts were fine, actually they were somewhat better than similar places I have stayed.

For a really good big breakfast in a charming atmospheric setting, go only a short distance down the road to Sylvester's, the former home of Sylvester Graham who invented graham crackers. It serves enormous and creative pancakes and truly fabulous hashbrowns.

Stayed February 2005
1 Thank sunnyflies
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northampton
Quality Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 7 in Hadley

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!