“Reminds me of a Poconos-type resort hotel”

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Northampton
Reviewed May 30, 2009

We stayed on the 2nd floor in "B' wing. Our room was very clean, seemed to have newer carpeting, bedding, curtains, etc. Small, not fancy, but quiet. The hallways are dark and can seem depressing but each "wing" had nicely landscaped/furnished areas in the center to relax and read or play games outside the room, which is a nice change. We did walk thru a wing where pets are allowed - you can tell by the smell. But our room and other wings were fresh. The indoor pool area was bright and very warm as was this pool. A hot tub here would be unbearable. We loved it! Yes, there's ceiling work needing to be done but nothing that turned us off. However, there's no bathroom in the atrium. You have to exit and go upstairs near the lobby if you don't have a poolside room. Brrr! Outside were tennis courts not yet opened and two pools, a large one and a kiddie one, both which had just opened. They were clean and cold! The whole area is landscaped with lots of lounge chairs and a grill/bar to order burgers at. The bathroom attached to the grill is what you'd find at a state beach - wooden, dark, cement floor, but clean. Staff was working hard to keep the pollen out of the pools, and was friendly here as elsewhere. We ate dinner at the indoor "pub" type restaurant because we didn't feel like driving but there's plently of good restaurants within a 5 min drive. The food and service were very good and very cheap. The buffet-style breakfast was cheap and delicious. The hotel location is right of an exit on a main road. This is not a four-star hotel, but affordable, clean accommodations. It is a good value for the price and we will definitely go back in warmer weather to enjoy the pools and nearby attractions in Deerfield (Yankee Candle, Butterfly Conservatory, museums, etc.)

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Clarion Hotel & Conference Center

Reviewed May 25, 2009

I stayed here because I was unable to find other lodgings due to the fact that there were several college graduations in the area--which also meant that this dingy, depressing hotel was able to charge over $250 a night. I wouldn't mind if it was somewhere really nice but this place is not--run down and I'll say it again, depressing. Also, not within walking distance of town so you're kind of stuck out there near the highway. Okay if you're desperate.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 26, 2009

Got a good price for this on priceline ($47 per night) while taking my son to visit Amherst College. The whole place seems sort of dingy. Lots of walking to the room. It seemed like it might have combined several buildings. The corridors and room seemed a little dingy as did the entrance, though the lobby itself was fine. Wi-fi worked fine. I didn't have breakfast here, although it was included. Nothing bad, but not reason to return. My son decided to attend Amherst, so we'll be visiting but I suspect I'll try another hotel.

May work better as a conference center.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 5, 2009

My husband and I planned a weekend away because we were going to see Lewis Black at the Calvin Theater in Northampton. After researching hotels in the area, I choose The Clarion not only for it's price point but because it sounded like it was everything that I was looking for in a hotel.. close proximity "walking distance" to the Calvin Theater, restaurants and a nice atmosphere. Unfortunately, it wasn't what I expected. First of all, the location is horrible if you are looking for something close to everything. It truly is off the beaten path, and boy is the path beaten, (not a very nice area to be walking in). Although our room was very clean, the rest of the hotel was "used". The indoor pool, although nice had ceiling tiles that looked as though there had been some water damage and was never fixed, There were wires hanging out. The lounge/restaurant does not open until 5:00 and since my husband and I had been driving a good part of the day, we wanted to relax and have an appetizer and a beverage. We arrived at about 3:45 so we had to wait to have anything. Also a note, the lounge closes at 11:00 so if you are out and about in downtown Northampton and want to go back for a nightcap, forget about it. Overall, the hotel was ok but for the price, I would have liked a better location and a few more amenities than what were offered.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2009

There aren't a lot of choices in Northampton but next time, we'll avoid this place. The common area smelled musty or as the girls put it "like old people". When we entered our room, we were assailed by the odor of a locker room full of sweaty socks! One bed had a big burned spot on the sheets and there were no blankets. I called the front desk to get one and it had a large chunk cut out of it. One night the toilet stopped up. We took to calling it "the hotel that time forgot" for the Reagan era decor.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 29, 2008

30 years ago, I'm sure this was a terrific place for a wkend getaway. We came as a family group, 9 adutls, 3 children, 1 infant., 5 rooms booked. The rooms were clean, decent furnishings, but no control over heating or cooling of individual rooms.

The Pub style Restaurant, was nice. Not a huge selection on the menu, but the food was good. Wait staff was friendly & accomidating to a large group. Breakfasts were excellent.

Yes, the Hallways were dark & dingy. The Dome over the Pool area leaked like a sieve, puddles everywhere, somewhat of a safety issue. This Dome also amplifies the noise level, pool side . The Fire Places in the different quad-like sections, were not operational, which would have made those areas feel warm & cozy and given our group & the other groups who arrived a day later than we did, a place to congregate. Management clearly does not encourage anything adult oriented. This place closes down Promply, at 11 pm, and you are politely, but sternly asked to leave the poolside area. Since the rooms are adaquate for 2 adults, 2 children, its lights out. I suppose you could go up to the Bar area, but no wants to leave their children alone, and you just get the feeling, Management , wants you out of their hair at 11.

As a stop over, on a long trip, for 1 night, with a pet, its ideal. Other wise, I'd definitely look else where. The price was good, but the atmosphere is guarded, not warm & inviting.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed November 24, 2008

Dog friendly accomodations...this is 1970ish old Hilton that has seen better days..it does take pets, so for us, it was a fine stop.
For around 130.00 a night on a Sunday I think it was overpriced, but the room had good beds and nice bedding, the rest was rather ,mediocre, Dark depressing hallways, but a decent indoor pool area, and nice desk staff.. Our room was clean and warm and the dog was happy!!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank johnnieb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northampton
Quality Inn & Suites
#5 of 7 in Hadley
D. Hotel & Suites
D. Hotel & Suites
#2 of 5 in Holyoke

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!