“Broken air conditioning”

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Northampton
Reviewed May 17, 2014

We have an interior room overlooking the indoor pool, and thus no window to the outside. Our air conditioning has a fan that needs replacing. The hotel knew this fan was broken before we arrived but decided not to fix it. Our room is thus quite warm all the time. We were given room fans, but this is terribly disappointing given the rates that were charged for an event weekend. I am quite upset a out this, and will not recommend Clarion hotels anywhere after this stay. One bright side is the staff, who were as helpful as. Old be given the circumstances.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
ClarionNorthampton, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a response via Trip Advisor regarding your experience. I can assure you that the hotel never occupies overnight rooms with known issues. While I can tell you that we work diligently to make sure every room is ready all of the time, issues can arise, but if there are issues that cannot be resolved, we simply do not use the room. The staff here is truly the heart and soul of our hotel and I will share your positive feedback with them regarding your interactions. Again, my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

I am a regular business traveler and always found Clarion's to be a good value. Not in Northampton. Way too expensive. Rooms were dirty and smelled damp and musty. Roof around pool leaked making pool area wet and sloppy. Staff for the most part did their best. Restaurant food was okay but service was slow considering the place was empty. Next time I'm in town I will stay anywhere but here.

• Stayed: January 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to respond to your experience and are happy that you use Choice Brand facilities when you travel. I sincerely apologize for the experience that you had as a guest of our property. The kind words that you had regarding the staff will be shared with the team, and we will take all of your comments into consideration when planning changes and repairs. Again, thank you for taking the time to respond.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Looking for an inexpensive room for a visit at UMASS, Amherst, we chose Clarion based on special low rates. We were pleasantly surprised. This p[property has been extensively renovated in the recent past and as a result offers all of the comforts that I look for but in a roomier (not a pun) hotel. The public areas were particularly well suited for our needs as we had several visitors that we were able to greet outside of our room in pleasant private nooks.

Usually we do not make use of hotel pools anymore, but will make an exception when we return. On a cold, rainy April day, the pool was bright, landscaped with tropical plans and looked for all the world like a destination resort.

Room Tip: Breakfast was not included with our room, but the on-site restaurant was superb and reasonably price...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
ClarionNorthampton, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Thank you for your thoughtful, candid response to your experience with the Clarion. We understand that guests come to our property for any number of reasons, and in these financial times, our property very often represents the best value to our guests. We are extremely pleased that beyond simply value, you found our property to be one of quality. I will share this feedback with our team, and we hope to welcome you back as our guest in the future.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

I'm a pretty easy going person and when we first arrived here I wanted to give it a try. I thought it was just old and we needed a place to stay so why not? It was just for one night. I knew something wasn't right the minute we pulled around to our "carport". Maybe it was the big planter filled with 5 years worth of cigarette butts, or the weeds growing out of the cracks in the pavement, or the overflowing dumpster, or the chainlink fence. But nothing really compared to the musty mildew smell once we got into our room (it took awhile for our lungs to recover). My daughter had her own room and the door didn't even fit--I could see light all around it. The place was desolate and we were reminded not to leave anything in the car. I was worried about the car actually, and whether it would be intact in the morning.

Now I went to college in this area and I love Northampton. I thought when I booked online that it was a good place for the price and the photos at least made it look clean. But we brought our dogs, you see, and they put us in the "pet friendly" rooms, which are basically the ones no one would ever sleep in. I was worried about the cleanliness of the sheets and don't even get me going on the carpet. We left the dogs in the room while we had a nice dinner in Northampton and then came back, packed up and left. We were never so happy to pull out of a parking lot in our lives. Take my advice: if you bring your dogs and need a hotel, drive the few extra miles to Springfield. I bet you can find a Hilton there that takes dogs and will be a very nice place. Clarion should be ashamed to have their name on this place.

One good thing though--the front desk guys were really nice. I don't blame them for the shape of the hotel. It should be bulldozed though. Maybe the non "dog friendly" rooms are better but it still is a little like the Bates Motel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank swansea1blue
ClarionNorthampton, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a response about your recent experience with the Clarion Hotel and Conference Center. On behalf of the staff and managers, please accept our sincerest apologies about your experience. I can assure that the concerns that you have raised are disconcerting to management and will be addressed; we are proud of our pet accommodations and will do our best to continue to serve our travelers as best we can.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We have stayed here over a 30+ year period and it's sad to see the continuing decline of a once vibrant place. It has been many months since our company assigned us to the area and put us up here, as usual. The good points are that the beds are still comfortable, the front desk clerks are very nice and helpful, and the pool area is properly maintained. The bad points are that the rooms are not well cleaned, some toilets run, marble sinks have cracks and look dirty, rugs have seen better days, and the place simply looks and feels "old and shabby." They have removed all the phones bedside and kept only the ones on the desks, which means you have to jump out of bed to get to the phone for your wake-up call. Worse yet is the so-called "continental breakfast." We used to have a better selection of items and pleasant waitresses that would actually smile and ask you if you wanted more coffee. The selections now consist of several cold cereals, packets of oatmeal to add hot water to, cold hard bolied eggs, and hard as a rock slices of bread for toast, English muffins and sometimes bagels. It's a good thing the bagels and muffins are already sliced because you'd need a saw to cut through them. There is no more fresh whole fruit. You are entitled to a glass of juice and a fruit cup, but you have to ask for it. The waitresses are young girls who hide behind a screen and talk. They could care less about waiting on you, although we have seen them jump up to wait on some males upon occasion. We have to find them and ask for everything we need, and they act like we are bothering them. We are all good tippers, and these girls should realize that with some effort on their part they could make a few extra bucks, but no service, no tip. They should be fired as most of what they do is hide and talk. The place is supposedly slated to be torn down and rebuilt in a couple of years after one more new building goes up behind them. I can understand why corporate would not want to sink any more money into a place destined to be leveled, but that does not excuse uncleanliness, poor breakfast food and terrible service. I don't know what the company pays for us to stay here, but if I were paying I'd find another place. This is definitely not up to Clarion standards.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank lobstaluva
ClarionNorthampton, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Thank you very much for you response regarding your experience with the Clarion. We are always happy to have feedback from repeat guests and we certainly value having your company as our guest. Each employee in every area of the Clarion does their best to make the experience of every guest a memorable one, and to exceed expectations whenever we can. We certainly have had transitions in many areas of the hotel from a staffing perspective but we have and will continue to provide outstanding customer service. I again thank you for your response.

Best,

Reviewed March 28, 2014

I booked the hotel through Hotwire so didn't know where my husband and I would be staying until the booking was complete. I then read a few reviews on Tripadvisor. One of them absolutely had nothing nice to say and believe me I really thought I wouldn't be unpacking my bags on arrival. So it was so nice to be pleasantly surprised with everything about the Hotel.
Very welcoming reception staff, our room was spacious and clean. Two double beds, ironing board and iron, hairdryer, different types of pillows , coffee machine . Our room was near to the beautiful kidney shaped pool with a lovely domed ceiling. The water wasn't too chlorinated which was great for me as I hate the smell of chlorine.
We couldn't get the shower to work the first morning. On reporting the problem the shower was soon fixed and worked fine from then on.
So all in all a very enjoyable stay and we will definitely be back next year.
So take some adverse comments on Trip advisor with a pinch of salt. Someone was having a bad day or just jet lagged I think.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank monica r

We are extremely pleased that you were pleasantly surprised by your experience with the property and with your chosen booking channel. We understand that not knowing where you stay can be nerve wracking, and certainly all of the reviews that we receive at the Clarion are positive. I thank you for taking the time to give us an honest assessment of your time at the Clarion, and we look forward to having you again as our guest.

Best,

Reviewed March 28, 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Northampton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Springfield Northampton/Amherst
#3 of 4 in Northampton
No photo provided
North King Motel
#2 of 4 in Northampton

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!