“Amazing staff”

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Northampton
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Two of us stayed at the Clarion last weekend and were very impressed with the friendliness and professionalism of all the staff we encountered--front desk, housekeeping and the waitress at breakfast (which was delicious and ample, yet reasonably priced). The rooms were clean and perhaps not the most upscale in decor, but the beds were extremely comfortable and there was plenty of light. The pool area was lovely--lots of sunlight through the atrium roof, plantings, and a feel of being outdoors. They also have lively music in the bar/lounge area. It was a little hard to find Registration in the parking lot.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank SandyXV
ClarionNorthampton, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive experience at the Clarion Hotel & Conference Center on Tripadvisor! I’m so glad you found the pool area enjoyable. The natural sunlight of the indoor atrium at the heart of the hotel is definitely a feature that we enjoy having at our property. I’ve passed your kind comments along to the staff, and we look forward to serving you during your next visit to Northampton!

At your service,

Aubrey Ramsdell
Front Office Manager

There are newer reviews for Clarion Hotel & Conference Center

Reviewed September 12, 2013

I have stayed at the Clarion 3 or 4 times over the past couple years, always booking through one of those name-your-own-price websites. The hotel is getting to be quite dated, which is why it's now a Clarion (used to be a Hilton or Hyatt, can't remember which). But the rooms are mostly kept clean (see below), the indoor pool is large and has a huge deck for hanging out, the outdoor pool with its outdoor bar/grill is fun in the summer, and the game room is a fun perk for those who like video games, although it is not unusual to find one or more of the video game machines out of order. The lobby is very attrative and the bar is nice though I've never seen a soul in it except the bartender. The rooms are large and comfortable.

The problem: in the summer, the rooms are VERY damp. On our stay in September 2013 (labor day weekend), the moment we walked into our room we could feel the dampness even though the room smelled fresh. There was a dehumidifer under the desk that we promptly plugged in and turned on, and it registered the room humidity at 90%!!! I set it down to its lowest setting, but after 3+ hours, it still had only gotten down to 80%. Eventually it got down to fluctuating between 70-75%, and we had to empty the very small dehumidifer bucket every few hours. (Recommended indoor humidity levels in the summer are about 50%). During the night, obviously, the bucket filled up so the unit shut off, and by morning it was back up to 80% humidity in the room even with the A/C running all night. No doubt as a result of the high humidity, there was some mold growth near the ceiling outside the bathroom. If you're sensitive to this sort of thing, be warned.

Note to hotel management: you need more powerful and larger dehumidifiers, and you need to run them constantly in the summer. It would have made a big difference if the dehumidifier had already been running for a few hours by the time we checked into our room.

Room Tip: Think about whether you right a room surrounding the pool (either on the 1st floor immediately outsi...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
ClarionNorthampton, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your experience at the Clarion in Northampton. Our facility is an older one, and there are various challenges that it does present, but I am pleased that you found the property to be clean. I will make sure to review your comments with the team regarding the dehumidifiers, and we will continue to work to make sure that we get it right. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Jeremy P. Brown

Reviewed September 12, 2013

The hotel has a great location right off the highway, however..I almost wanted to turn back onto the highway! The parking lot is huge and the hotel is tucked into the back, needless to say it looked a little scary and not so nice. However, once you get past the dingy indoor outdoor cigarette butt laden carpeting on the walkway into the lobby, you are greeted by a very welcoming and pleasant hotel desk employee and you forget about the negative experience you just had! The lobby is big and a little dark, but clean. There is a rsrnt and bar also.The rooms were big, cool, and clean and just fine, especially for the price. I actually took advantage of the nice indoor pool area the next morning, and the coffee in the lobby, which i enjoyed a few cups of while my daughter slept in. There is an outdoor pool and tennis courts also, but i could not find them! The location could not be beat for exploring the town of Northhampton also (which we loved), and then visiting UMass. I will def stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

We cannot thank you enough for taking the time to write a review regarding your experience here at the Clarion in Northampton. We understand the challenges that our hotel has with our exterior appearance and positioning in the Atwood Office Park. I thank you for your kind words regarding the team at the hotel and the various features of the hotel.

Sincere Thanks,

Jeremy P. Brown

Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Paulette is an absolute asset to the clarion! She really went out of the way to resolve my issue! The morning staff not so great! There was odd Nat looking bugs flying around in 2 rooms. I still am upset about the fact that I waited nearly 20 min this morning to get my cash deposit back! Hotel is dated and parts smell very funky! Soda machine had expired soda! Not worth $120a nt. I used a $69 roomsaver coupon but im not sure if I'd like to return! Trisha and Paulette were excellent and I am extremely greatful for their good customer service!

• Stayed: September 2013
ClarionNorthampton, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to identify the members of the hotel team that made your stay. We recognize that the team members at the Clarion are what make the hotel special. I apologize for the issues that you encountered as a guest, but again, Thank You for your feedback regarding the team.

Jeremy Brown

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed one night via price line. WOuld NOT go back unless improvements were made.

PROS: Very good, convenient location if you want to be near Northampton town center.
Good sized swimming pool. Decently comfortable bed. The woman who took my reservation and checked us in was very nice.

CONS: Dirty. I could see pubic hairs in the mattress topper right under our sheets. Seriously grossed me out. Overall the hotel seems kind of run down. The pool area which could be lovely, needs maintenance and was littered with dirty towels, including one floating in the pool when we arrived early in the morning.

Hopefully the hotel will renovate this space soon and work to bring up the cleanliness standards.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to complete a response regarding your experience at teh Clarion in Northamtpon. We appreciate all of the feedback that we recieve and will continue to work to make sure every guest has a clean and comfortable stay. I apologize for the issues with cleanliness that you experienced as a guest. Thank you again for your feedback.

Jeremy Brown

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed here for a friend's wedding and I thought it was quite nice for the price. The beds and pillows were particularly comfortable and I found it to be very clean. It is very old and a bit musty. And it has some strange Twin Peaks-like decorations throughout, but the walls were solid and we heard no noise from other rooms or outside. Overall, we were pleased at the quality for what we paid.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Maggie M
ClarionNorthampton, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a response regarding your experience at the Clarion. Guest feedback is important to our goal of providing quality service to all of our visitors.

Jeremy Brown, General Manager

Reviewed August 20, 2013

My mother and father stayed here for a friends wedding 15 years ago and said it was a nice place for a good deal. Obviously things have changed. My grandmother, mother, sister and I stayed here while we were visiting the basketball hall of fame. The hallways reminded me of a horror movie. The rooms felt somewhat dirty and the pool ladder was being held together by duck tape. We were so uncomfortable that we canceled our remaining days and changed hotels to a high end historical hotel. Though after we transfered hotels we learned to accept the hotel for what it was and wanted to stay. While there may up have been a hobo In the parking lot the hotel obviously was not making money so that could explain the poor quality. The service staff was helpful and now that I think about it the hotel was no that bad. There is also a outdoor pool and tennis court. Visit the clarion so it can make the necessary repairs. Stay here for a overnight or two but bit for a week. The hotel is tired worn out.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for very much for taking the time to write a response via Facebook. We continue to try to work with the property and our team to give guests the best experience that we can. WE continue to make improvements to the Clarion as best we can.

Jeremy Brown, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Northampton
Quality Inn & Suites
#4 of 7 in Hadley
D. Hotel & Suites
D. Hotel & Suites
#2 of 5 in Holyoke

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!