“Pervasive Musty/Mold-y Odor”

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Northampton
Reviewed June 25, 2008

$45 for one night via Priceline... not bad.

Room was clean & neat. Nothing too fancy. The hallways are of the rambling "old castle with lots of wood" variety. Quaint, albeit rather dated.

The halls had a VERY pervasive musty odor of mold. This property obviously has some age on it *and* a moisture problem. Those with mold allergies are advised to lodge elsewhere.

One other negative: The gal at the front desk was somewhat friendly, but did NOT exhibit a can-do attitude. I asked for late check-out as I had arrived late due to a 5-hour flight delay. She only would agree to let me stay one hour beyond regular check-out time. Her excuse? "We have a big weekend crowd coming in tomorrow." I replied, "Really?? Tomorrow's Tuesday!" She stammered and muttered something about "Well that's the best we can do." What? The lie or the extra hour?

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo

Reviewed June 20, 2008

My husband and I booked this hotel through Hotwire, & we got quite a deal--or so we thought. It was truly awful. Our room was in the basement, lower level--it was cold, and smelled like mildew in the hallways and in our room. Very musty. Stains all over the carpet. I suggest that if you stay here, book a "regular" room. I imagine the normal priced rooms are just fine.

Stayed: December 2006
1  Thank simplemarn
Reviewed June 9, 2008

We stayed overnight in Northampton in the begining of June. I looked online and found an incredible rate for this hotel. Just $79 for the night. King sized bed. Indoor pool. It sounds like a great deal right??
Not so much. If I had paid the regular rate for this room I would have been highly upset. The walls are paper thin. You can hear people talking in the hallway and in the next room. You can hear the bathroom door opening and closing in the next room. It does not make for a pleasant sleep.
The bathroom: gross. The bathtub was dirty, and stained.
I would not recomend anyone stay here. I did not enjoy staying here.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2008

We stayed at the Northampton Clarion over Memorial Day / UMASS commencement weekend. Even booking well in advance, our first choices weren't available and so we stayed here.

My mom just booked this place at the rack rate and although it was a decent enough stay I think the prices are a rip-off. Definitely *not* a $250 - $300 / night hotel. Obviously given the time period they, and other area hotels, could charge what they liked. But it was definitely a bit cheeky. For less than $100/night, this place would be a great deal. More than that, and you'll be disappointed.

First - the good stuff: The indoor pool was gorgeous. It's under a giant glass ceiling and is very bright and welcoming. The bar is very old-school - lots of wood, pictures of pioneers, leather and fireplaces - and to that end it's a cozy place to have a drink and people watch. The same area is also where they serve the complimentary breakfast, which is fantastic. Very generous (cereal, waffles, toast, eggs, bacon, potatoes, fruit, juice) and you get waiter service for coffee &etc. Don't forget to leave a tip!

The rooms were pleasant. Comfy beds, understated appointments. I don't know if all bathrooms have this but we liked that there was a sink outside the bathroom and the bathroom. That way one of us could be doing our makeup while the other showered and so on (there were four of us in the room - did I mention it was overpriced?).

The air conditioner worked but we had to weigh down the curtains first or else the air blew under them and they were so thick they absorbed all the cool air.

The cleaning staff were all very polite and cheerful - but I can't say the same for the hospitality staff.

So, as you can see - overall it's an pretty good hotel. I am a pretty easygoing traveler and usually get budget accommodations. However, this was not budget but felt like it. For the amount of money we spent, I'd expect certain things to be nicer. Like:

--Peeling wallpaper
--smelled like my grandma's house (musty)
--spooky 70s decor that makes you feel like you're in "The Shining"
--Staff of teenagers who are too busy flirting with each other to answer your questions

My overall feeling? Meh.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank pumpkinpasty
Reviewed March 11, 2008

The hotel has friendly staff with excellent amenities.
The pool are very good for families while the bar and restaurant are good for relaxing or even entertaining guests.

The rooms were in good shape, the location is ideal as it is right off I91 and withing a 3 minute drive to downtown 'HAMP.

The price was very good for the money.

Very solid recommendation.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed February 18, 2008

Don't judge this book by it's cover. The outside is not very nice, However, once I went in...wow! This hotel is a flashback to the 1970s. Oak everywhere, gas fireplaces and sitting areas everywhere...lots of nooks and crannys. It does have some issues, but overall it was a very interesting place with a lot of character and interesting layout. The center of the hotel is a dome that is over an indoor pool, with hallways like arms that spread out from the pool. Each hall opens into a large family room type setting with gas fireplaces sitting areas and soft couches..Oak everywhere from floor to ceiling. This was a super high class hotel in the 1970s (think it used to be a Hilton) and it is nice to see that places like this still exist. It could use a little work.(leaking problems form the dome over the pool in heavy rain), but over all it was very interesting highclass retro place. Nice steakhouse and bar right on the premises. If you are looking for a place with character and are not high maintanence then this is the place for you. The rooms are clean and modern. They were renovated in 2006. I would still rate this as a 2.5 star hotel, just because of the small structural issues it has. It would have been a 4 star back in the day. Stay here, and support these old classics.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2007

Rooms and furniture were old and could have used better maintenance. Winter heating is a bit noisy and uneven. Hallways were dank and musty-smelling.

Convenience was excellent. Other affordable lodging available in Hadley, but you'll get stuck in the Coolidge Bridge traffic going back to Northampton.

I managed a small discount from AMEX and was a little disappointed in the quality, but try getting a steep discount like others indicated in the their reviews and you'll be OK. I had to be there quick, so I didn't have to to fuss around with price comparisons

Breakfast buffet at Montana Restaurant was so-so.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelerPlus1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northampton
Quality Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn
#4 of 7 in Hadley
Homewood Suites Holyoke-Springfield/North
Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!