“Great Pleasant Surprise!”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Northampton
Dayton, Ohio
“Great Pleasant Surprise!”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We were not sure what to expect when we arrived past midnight after driving 12 hours straight from Ohio to get to a wedding in Amherst. But when we walked in, the entire hotel had a beautiful glow. The reception clerk, Kyle was phenomenal, he was very friendly, knowledgeable and efficient.The lobby's timberframe construction with a public fireplace, replete with all furnishings, the decorated niches, all created a genuine warmth. The incredible indoor pool with the huge dome allows for an outdoor feeling any time of the year. The room was spotless and very comfortable. Thank you Clarion and Kyle.

Room Tip: A second floor room with a balcony overlooking the the indoor pool is very nice.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BillMeontheroad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Property is a little bit dated but has a certain charm and warmth. The restaurant [The Loft] served the best steak I have ever eaten in my entire life. Dinner was so superb that I made a point of awakening early the next morning so I could sample their breakfast [which was also excellent]. The restaurant was almost empty for both meals; very surprising considering the quality of the food.

Newpaper availabilty [a very important factor for many people] was excellent: 3-4 copies of the N.Y. Times, a couple of Boston Globes, a few U.S.A. Todays, etc. I hate when hotels carry one hundred copies of the U.S.A. Today and nothing else.

I appreciated the layout of the hotel: a very nice domed pool at the center surrounded by separate wings of the hotel, interrupted by garden areas on each floor.

There were many employees on duty for second shift, so it was very easy to get service for anything. I was particularly impressed with Kyle, the night auditor. He was a very personable young man, very intelligent and well-educated. I had a very lengthy conversation with him on the graveyard shift. He assisted me with the hotel business center computer and suggested a number of places to visit in the area. A very capable young man; I imagine management sleeps very well at night knowing that Kyle is taking care of their property.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
connecticut
Reviewed November 29, 2012

The Clarion in Northampton is well known for their indoor pool area.The rooms we rented were directly poolside.The premisis of this trip was for our family to relax and let the grandchildren swim as we sat poolside.The staff was very good ,plenty of towels poolside but the temperature was a bit cool.We mentioned it to the staff and they responded immediately.The temperature did not change but they said they increased it.The children did not seem to care as long as they were in the pool.The only other beef might have been the condition of our bed,I personally have a bad back and we were sharing our room with my 2 grandchildren.The children were already asleep before we went to bed,and it was one of those mattresses where both myself and my wife rolled to the center,not great for sleeping and I did not want to wake the kids to move them into this bed. Overall the hotel was very accomondating to our family function. We will come back to stay again,but it will be during warmer weather and I will check the beds before I accept the room.

Room Tip: Poolside rooms can be noisy.The poolside are great if you have kids who like to swim.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I recently got a room here via a Priceline bid which made the price quite reasonable. The hotel was very average: clean and complete, but rather in need of an update. The place feels trapped in a time warp from the late 70s. Everything throughout the public spaces is carpeted, the furniture clunky and overstuffed. But the room was clean, with all of the amenities one expects. The wifi was free but a bit slow. The bar/restaurant off of the lobby had a local jazz group performing; loudly and mostly on-key! I was only looking for a place to sleep before a business meeting the next day, and this place fit that bill just fine.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Maine
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Very nice stay, but some parts are in need for a makeover. Our room was quiet and comfortable. It was a poolside room. There was no one in the pool during our stay, but I would imagine it may get quite noisy when there are lots of people using it. Very conveniently located off from I-91. The free wi-fi was also nice. Beware, our room had very few electrical outlets. Something Clarion may want to think about when they renovate, esp. for those who have lots of gadgets to plug in.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sylvan Beach, New York
Reviewed November 1, 2012

The room was a good size and was very clean. The room had a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. There is also a safe-for a fee. The indoor pool was very nice. The hotel has a bar and a resturant. The food was good, but the waitress was more interested in sending text messages than providing service. A free continental breakfast would have been nice-it costs $6.00 for the continental breakfast. There is also a breakfast menu if you don't want the continental breakfast. Check in/out staff was very friendly. New carpet has been recently installed in the halls.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed October 31, 2012

This is kind of a weird hotel. It's a sprawling place; doesn't look like a hotel. We took our own luggage in and the check in was very quick and friendly. Our walk to our room was around the pool - and I guess that's what made the halls smell so musty. I could not walk through the halls without literally holding my nose. I had second thoughts about staying here...but the room itself smelled fine and was a good size. There were 2 sinks, 2 queen beds, and plenty of room. There was a safe but no fridge. It was clean, and surprisingly quiet, considering how close the hotel is to the highway. We never heard any traffic (but we did hear every word of our neighbors next door when they woke up at 6 AM). Room was clean, but the lighting was terrible. There was no overhead light and only one dim light on one side of the bed, so reading in bed was not great. Even the light at the desk was dim. Beds were ok. The location was convenient not only to the highway (Rte 91) but less than a 5 minute drive to downtown Northampton. I would suggest looking into staying somewhere else unless all you care about is convenience.

Room Tip: far away from the pool because the humidity makes the hallways stink!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank nreyesok
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northampton
Quality Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 7 in Hadley
Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!