“great venue for intimate shows”

Iron Horse Music Hall
Ranked #1 of 4 Nightlife in Northampton
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We loved being so close to the stage. Food is served for some of the shows. The service is quick and the food is fine. Try to avoid sitting too close to the bar.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

It's a great little place to hear the amazing musicians who come through this small town. Saw Anais Mitchell perform Hadestown a few years ago, and this time heard the beautiful songs of Over the Rhine. Good wine, too, at reasonable prices, to accompany the music.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I've been here three times over the past two years. If you looking for a great place to see a top rated band, come to the Iron Horse. Expect simple yet good food. Don't expect a "four star" restaurant experience. You have to ask yourself, if you're really coming here for the food?? No.. But the food isn't bad. The burgers are rather nice. And the fudge brownie is a must!! You will not be disappointed. Get there before the doors open to get a good table. Check their website for opening times. I give the Iron Horse a number 1 rating.

1  Thank steve375
Reviewed April 1, 2013

You can go here for a concert or dancing--I'll tell you about both.
The concerts here are fantastic. I have seen African bands where they clear a big space of the floor for dancing, intimate U.S. and Irish folk concerts, light rock concerts. Every seat has a great view and I cannot believe how close I am to the stage. The acoustics are great and it's just a warm, happy environment. I have seen some amazing musicians for a relatively low fee. The drinks are fine. I am not a fan of the food. Truly, how can you mess up a brownie sundae? Well, by having brownies from a box, whipped cream from a can, and bottled syrup. REALLY?!?! It's not that hard to provide a better product. I agree with others who suggesting eating elsewhere first, but definitely come for the drinks and music.

Tuesday nights are for Latin dancing--usually with a great DJ but sometimes with bands. Things starting hopping around 10:30. I feel mixed about this. There's a fine dance floor and plenty of room, but way too many gringos who have been watching Dancing with the Stars and fling their elbows all around. Around midnight the music gets funkier with more Reggaeton and a somewhat younger crowd.

1  Thank Lisa F
Reviewed December 11, 2012

How does the Iron Horse stay in business?
Oh, because there's really no competition. And if you want to see music, this is where it is.
Plan to eat before you get there, as the food is terrible and overpriced and there are limited options.
They haven't replaced the tables or chairs in decades. I went to a show the other night and the chair I sat in was so wobbly it should have been thrown away. The second one I tried to sit in was just as bad! Upstairs, there are single futons that have clearly have been there for decades as well. If you end up sitting on one of those, you'll sit sideways and your back will hurt for a while afterwards. My friend's back hurt after the show just from sitting in the cheap chairs.
There are also lots of blocked views- you can sit behind a pole for the same price as the front row!
When I went to the bathroom, the lock was broken. Really? They can't spring for a hook and eye at the hardware store? Same for the menus- they are filthy and clearly they haven't bought new ones in years.
Since I love music, I end up at the Iron Horse periodically. Every single time I go, I wonder why they can't spend just a little money, so that I don't have to feel like I'm in the basement of a frat house. Northampton can do better.

7  Thank bakerofgoods