“Music good....food, atmosphere POOR!”

Iron Horse Music Hall
Ranked #1 of 4 Nightlife in Northampton
Southampton, MA
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Music good....food, atmosphere POOR!”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Went to see Johnny A on Jan 28th...got there at 5:45 and the place was nearly full (doors open at 5:30 sharp)...had to wait for a hostess to be seated. I was happy to see one very small table left on the floor so I asked if we (my husband and I) could sit there. I was told that it was a handicapped table, so no. We watched as multiple couples came in and tried to get seated at this little table. They all got the same line as us. Interestingly enough about 10 minutes before the show started 2 couples sashayed in and took the 4 seats at that table. I said to the waitress, "so I guess they are not for handicapped", she looked embarassed and said somthing to the effect that they can't ask people what their handicap is and that her boss told her the hostess to give them that table. So I can only assume that if you are a friend of the manager you might get a good table. I'd prefer to hear that up front than to hear the phoney BS about reserving a handicapped table. We were seated under the second floor balcony right near the door (which was left open most of the night-brrrr).
The view to the stage was pretty good...the table and high stools felt like they were going to fall apart, obviously in need of either new ones or at least some attention form a screwdriver. Our waitress was friendly and did check on us the appropriate number of times dispite the number of tables she had. We ordered dinner, my husband the 14 oz T-bone steak and me the Black Bean and corn burrito with cheese. My husband was told they didn't have anymore 14oz T-Bones so he would get a 10oz one and would that be ok...he said yes and asked if the price would be adjusted ($21.95)...the waitress skirted the question, never answered or checked with the manager and we were charged full price for the "thin" 10oz steak. When my dinner arrived I cut it open to find approx 2 cups of dry rice with maybe 5-10 black beans and corn mixed in. There was no cheese, and the waitress forgot the sour cream. I gave the dinner back and reordered the spinach salad...just average...baby spinach leaves thrown on a plate with some feta and cranberries, not very good and the dressing as advertised, raspberry vinegarette was replaced with a vinegar and oil dressing that was heavy on the OIL. Realistically, I do not expect to get a great meal at a music hall, but I do expect some attention to quality and at the very least that the prices will be fair for what you do recieve. $21.95 for a small, thin steak and a handful of french fries is way overpriced, as was the $10 for a small scoop of black bean dip and a handful of tortillas (advertised as a heaping pile). I would recommend eating elsewhere before the show and to skip the food at the Iron Horse....Better yet, buy the CD of your favorite performer and stay home.
FYI...I am not a crank and I have never sent back a meal in my life, but this food was so bad that I had no other choice. If you are only interested in drinking and listening to music...then maybe you won't care. Oh also, the management kept letting people in the door after the performance had started and well after the place was FULL (including standing room). They kept pulling folding chairs out and seating them next to my husband along the wall. Bet the fire marshall would love that.

Visited January 2012
3 Thank dwmjrjam

Greenville, SC
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Nice Venue”
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Great place to get some dinner and see a show. It is small and you need to get there early for good seats but the it is a really great intimate place to see a show. Food was typical bar type food, service was good.

Visited December 2011
Northampton, MA
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“Classic Venue for Music Lovers”
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Old tin ceilings and creaky floors. Wonderful music in a small venue. Almost like being in someone's living room, up close and personal with the musicians. Take a look at the publicity shots on the walls. Amazing who has performed there. Bathroom waiting line is unisex. Scary for the teenage males particularly.

Food is pub-type with full bar. Order early so you can eat before the music starts. Line up before the doors open for the best choice of seats.

Visited January 2012
2 Thank BrewsMom
Montague, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great venue!”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

This is a great bar to see live entertainment. Sound was top notch! Service was attentive considering the amount of people in the room. The only thing I would comment on, there are only 2 washrooms which makes for a long line up at times. If there is a performer playing at this venue that you would enjoy seeing, make the effort. You won't be disappointed.

Visited November 2011
Amherst, Massachusetts
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“For Folk Music Lovers”
Reviewed June 4, 2008

This is one of the few places where you can watch live music in this area. Depending on your taste in music, you may or may not like it. They usually have what I call folk performers (middle-of-road folk, punk-folk, country-folk - I know I made up some of these genres) but sometimes you can catch some alternative rock performers.

I personally never saw a show at the Iron Horse that made me jump up of my chair. But I believe the musical taste of this area is slightly different than my taste :-) ; this place fits very well with the Northampton style.

As far as I am concerned this place can use some MAJOR, MAJOR remodeling, but based on the fact that it is usually full, I guess most people don't care about its appearance. There are pictures of the previous singers/bands covering the walls. The tables right in front of the stage are low and you'll probably need a reservation to get them. However, for a show that you really wanna see, I would much more suggest the high tables located to the right of the stage. The view of the stage is better, you don't need a reservation, and they are easier accessible by waitresses. I believe there are tables upstairs as well, but I have never been there, so I can't describe how the place looks. I would suggest also getting the tickets in advance, as they are cheaper than the walk-ins.

The food is typical bar food. I don't think I ever had anything other than nachos and burgers. They are OK - nothing really sensational, but nothing to complain either. I tried a few times their desserts, and they were a bit better than the entrees. The prices are fine - no one will break his/her budget at this place. The service is definitely fast and the waitresses are usually friendly and helpful.

If you don't have anything else to do, or even better, if you like the type of music they play, this is a place you can try. Don't expect anything upscale though.

4 Thank andreiuta