“One of my favorites”

Ranked #23 of 143 Restaurants in Northampton
western mass
“One of my favorites”
Reviewed February 14, 2012

I love this place, even tho the ambience has something to be desired... noisy, crowded, a bit uncomfortable, but the food makes up for it. The Sambar South Indian lentil Soup with steamed rice dumplings and coconut chutney is to die for. It's a meal in itself.
I've been here for breakfast and for lunch and am never disappointed. Whenever I go for breakfast I have he Tofu Vegan Scramble which is delicious...the roasted potatoes that comes with the dish are worth the price alone. Can't wait until next time!

• Visited January 2012

Hatfield, Massachusetts
“Cross section of Northampton”
Reviewed December 23, 2011

Haymarket is the kind of place where you're as likely to brush shoulders with the attorneys from the courthouse up the street as with the freaks & geeks who call Northampton home. I love that kind of cross-section of humanity where all are welcome. Coffee is great, food is good, and the atmosphere is, well, what I guess you'd call eclectic. Free wi-fi encourages lingering and if you go at busy meal times you're likely to have to wait for a table.

1 Thank ejcrowe
Western Mass
“Good vegetarian and vegan food at good prices”
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Good vegetarian and vegan menu. Lots of selection. Order at the counter, find a table, and get your own food. The food comes out quickly, the price is reasonable, and the food is good. It has become my downtown place to eat when I want good food and I can't wait. Funky atmosphere. At sometimes, they have waitstaff.

• Visited November 2011
Burlington, Vermont
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“great atmosphere, good coffee and food”
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Haymarket Cafe is a quintessential Northamptom restaurant/cafe. From the funky decor to the stylish servers you never forget that you're in one of the hippest towns in the US. But not to worry, the people aren't so hip that they can't be friendly. The service was very good as was the food. I had a monstrous omelette filled with delicious, fresh ingredients and my companion's pancakes were fluffy and yummy. The bread was especially good. The only downside was that the coffee wasn't great - it was good, but not great.

Visited October 2011
Belchertown, Massachusetts
“Smells like massive BO !”
Reviewed April 27, 2010

I've been dragged here twice. The first time was because my uncle told me it was the greatest place and had the best drinks. Upon entering I nearly fainted, due to the overwhelming ammount of clientel that had not yet discovered deodorant, or had renounced it at an earlier date. The decor inside is bizzarre, and it reminded me of the bar that grants you access to Diagon Alley in Harry Potter, only smellier.
I ordered a smoothie on the suggestion of the "barrista", called the "swamp thing". This black-slag-in-a-glass tasted worse than it looked. Apparantly the swamp thing is a donkey that has drowned in the swill from Bondie's Island sewage treatment plant, then put through the mechanizations of "the juicer".

The second time I went was also due to my uncle, who refused to come out until we went inside to meet him. Again, it smelled like massive amounts of BO. This time I didn't order anything and instead kept my eyes on the clientel. You could tell which people were generating the BO smell, and which people were there because of peer pressure. It was probably 2 smellies to every 5 regular people. The smellies look happy to have a place to stink up, and the regular people are faking being happy about being in a trendy place.

It's all hype, and no delivery, and it smells awful. Like a goat in heat...

3 Thank reedharrison