“Excellent”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My wife and I shared a Tuscany almond salad - Mixed baby greens, roasted red beets, gorgonzola cheese tossed in citrus vinaigrette topped with roasted almonds. I had the Marco Polo - chicken, sausage, mushrooms, olives, capers, sweet peppers and onions
sautéed in garlic, oregano tomato sauce. My wife had Salmon with roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts with an orange basil sauce and risotto. We both had doggie bags. The also have great early bird specials.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Our last visit to Mulinos was last summer and it was very good: creative entrees and a server who was knowledgeable, friendly and attentive.
This time however was quite disappointing. Food: bruschetta was two
giant hunks of dry bread with some tomatoes and a dusting of Parmesan on top. Cesar salad was limp and drowned in bottled dressing with maybe three croutons.
Ordered a nice bottle of Chianti- which was quite good and reasonably priced.
Our server was at first pleasant- but a little aloof.
When our entrees arrived- a completely different dish was given to my friend's wife. Without any apology, she brusquely returned it to the kitchen- leaving my friend and me to stare at our plates and wait out of respect and not begin eating until the dish she actually ordered arrived.
Almost 15 minutes later- her plate was finally delivered. Of course by that time our dishes were stone-cold. No offer to warm ours up- I had to ask her. Bad move: Another 15 minutes went by where she must have walked past us 10 times without making any eye contact. We told my friend's wife to start eating- so we wouldn't be playing musical entrees all night. We finally all had our meals:
Goat cheese ravioli was a big lump of raviolis stuck together- swimming in a tasteless marinara sauce. Pork medallions were good- well cooked. Veal and accompanying risotto were over-done and bland.
Tried to get another glass of the wine we had- but she said she couldn't do that- since that particular one was sold only by the bottle. We ordered a similar Chianti- and she poured us each about about 1oz. each and hurried off before I could even say anything. She never even came over and asked us how our meal was. Next time we saw her she literally through the dessert menus on our table without a word. We shared a store-bought canoli and called it a night.
This restaurant is by no means cheap and one would expect a level of food and service that justifies that. On our visit- we received neither.
Only because I waited tables in college did she get her 20%. Maybe it was an off-night for the kitchen and wait-staff-- who knows?
What I DO know is that I will never be darkening their door again.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

I last ate at Mulino's over ten years ago, when it was in its original location on Center Street. It was great then and it's just as great now.

Our waiter must have been a professional waiter for most of his life. He knew exactly how to guide us and made sure our wine glasses were always filled without once coming off as insincere or out to get the best tip possible. Don't know his name, but he was a charming older gentleman with what I think was an Italian accent. I highly recommend him.

Our meals were delicious. I loved my Carbonara, especially its cream-free preparation at Mulino's. It's my favorite meal and I rarely get it because it's so fattening, but after eating the Mulino's version I have to go back there and get it again. The Fra Diavolo came with a substantial assortment of shellfish and scallops. It, too, was excellent.

We will definitely return to Mulino's on our next trip to Northampton.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Eating outside, quaint table, fine wine, and Italian food to be savored! A very romantic, spur of the moment visit!

Reviewed July 30, 2012

With a family now spread across the country in various colleges, etc. the one time a year when we can get everyone together is in August, and the restaurant of choice by everyone's estimation is Mulino's. Great ambience, great wine and terrific food. They even have great weeknight specials! Try this one. You won't be disappointed.