“Simply Divine! (from Becky :)”
Review of India House

India House
Ranked #10 of 143 Restaurants in Northampton
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
us
“Simply Divine! (from Becky :)”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

This restaurant is one of my most favorite ones on the planet. My husband and I have been going there for many years. Each time, we are warmly greeted, and eagerly anticipate the specials and "old favorites" on their extensive menu. We usually get their "bread basket" (an assortment of yummy savory and sweet breads served with homemade chutneys). Another favorite is their calamari- prepared in a spicy, savory sauce. I could eat that appetizer all day! :)
I usually order their "luscious" lobster masala- always a favorite, always cooked to perfection. The tender pieces of lobster just melt in your mouth! My husband loves garlic, so he usually orders the glazed garlic lamb, etc. All of these wonderfully tasty dishes are so satisfying. Also, please try their mango lassi- the BEST I have had anywhere.
The owners and their children are some of the sweetest, kindest people-- they really take so much pride in their business and it shows. We always are welcomed and feel the warmth. By fat one of the best restaurants anywhere!

• Visited February 2014

Boston
“Burned hand practically ignored”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

A member of our party burned her hand on the metal spoon that came in her sizzling dish (spoon should never have been rested on the cast iron dish) and when the owners were told they brought a glass of ice and said sorry, the wait staff should have known better. And then the bill came, no deduction, no offer of a free dessert, coffee. Kind of bizarre. A couple of remarks about "boy you have enough food don't you". Well actually, heaps of food do not necessarily equate with quality. It's ok. It's expensive for Indian food. I wouldn't return.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank MQS
“Yum”
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

Not only good service but good food. We were so overwhelmed by the staff and owners friendliness and attention. Outstanding food .

Visited January 2014
South Hadley, Massachusetts
“Delicious Indian food and stellar service - very accommodating to food allergies”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

This family-owned Indian restaurant has delicious food, and the service is fantastic. It has a lovely seating area inside, as well as a great outdoor seating area. I am allergic to onions and garlic, so restaurants can be quite trying sometimes. Some are not accommodating at all, but this one is completely willing to cater to a food allergy. The last time I was here, one of the owners was waiting on us, and she was completely clear on what could and couldn't be made with garlic and onions. Ultimately, she ended up asking my what my favorite ingredients were (hooray for potatoes!) and they created a dish for me on the spot that didn't contain any offending onions or garlic. Their take out service is also great - always on the money in terms of when it will be ready for pickup, and their POS system keeps track of what you've ordered in the past, so if you don't have a menu on-hand and can't remember those long names of your favorite dishes, they can help you out on that front by looking in the computer.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Jen H
Winchendon, Massachusetts, USA
“Felt like we had not just dinner, but a great food experience”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Went for dinner and sat inside. Served by about 4 different people, including an owner. Tables and chairs are ornately carved and beautiful. We ordered the sampler appetizer and an entree each. Every dish was outstanding and a new and wonderful experience. Everyone treated us like royalty and the decor and atmosphere were very beautiful, yet casual and comfortable. I ranked it as excellent because it was a delightful experience in terms of atmosphere and service, and a unique and memorable food experience that I will look forward to again.

I do agree with the other reviewers that the medium hot is hot.

• Visited August 2013