“Felt like we had not just dinner, but a great food experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

India House
Ranked #13 of 141 Restaurants in Northampton
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Winchendon, Massachusetts, USA
“Felt like we had not just dinner, but a great food experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

Went for dinner and sat inside. Served by about 4 different people, including an owner. Tables and chairs are ornately carved and beautiful. We ordered the sampler appetizer and an entree each. Every dish was outstanding and a new and wonderful experience. Everyone treated us like royalty and the decor and atmosphere were very beautiful, yet casual and comfortable. I ranked it as excellent because it was a delightful experience in terms of atmosphere and service, and a unique and memorable food experience that I will look forward to again.

I do agree with the other reviewers that the medium hot is hot.

• Visited August 2013

Amherst, Massachusetts
“Poor Food and Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Hadn't eaten here for a while, so a friend and I dined here last week to try it again. It was a disappointment in almost every aspect. The place was not busy - no one was sitting inside - and we were sitting outside with about 12 other people. One of the owners waited on us and I asked about the Onion Bahji Rings "A Global Favorite" as an appetizer, and she encouraged my choice. I was curious because they are coated with garbanzo flour batter. My friends app was served promptly but three times someone came to our table and suggested that my app would be out soon. It took a very long time. What was served was not very good. The batter was thick and heavy and completely overwhelmed the sweet onion. I asked if there was sugar in the Khatta Mittha (spelling from menu) sauce served with the rings, and was told she didn't know because it is a commercial sauce and they don't make it. Katta Meetha could be a date and tamarind paste chutney that is simple to make and has no sugar. Why don't they make their own? Maybe there are no Indian cooks in the kitchen. My main course was India House Mixed Grill - the first item on the tandoori menu and "a health conscious gourmet choice". I am a health conscious gourmet and I love tandoori style. This was the worst tandoori I have ever eaten. Every piece of meat was overcooked, tough, tasteless, and dry as a bone. Whoever cooked it had no idea how to make tandoori. As a little note, the menu says it includes chicken wings (plural) but I was served one. While we were eating the owner was loudly berating several of her wait staff. It was disturbing and should have been done away from guests. The food that I had here is not authentic Indian food, is poorly prepared, and they use commercial sauces. Service was poor and this restaurant does not deserve it's good reputation.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank merlinslap
Northampton, Massachusetts
“Consistently outstanding fresh authentic food of India”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

It truly is a taste of life! From their many pleasing appetizers to their vast and varied selections of entrees, we have always left feeling like we have been treated like royalty, eaten like sultans and yet been invited to their family table! We have been long time customers of India House. It is a favorite place for us to dine. They go out of their way to accommodate our food allergies and food intolerances. When we have visiting family, this is the restaurant we think of first. Check out their website for the menu and feel your mouth water. Not to be missed when dining in Northampton!!

• Visited July 2013
Amherst, Massachusetts
“Authentic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

My friend recommended this place--she's been going here for over 20 years off and on and her daughter, who is a vegetarian, eats here frequently.

I found the food excellent; the owner, his family and the wait staff friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. I don't often eat vegetarian but did here because of the range of options on the menu and my friend's recommendation. Will go again.

Visited March 2013
New York City, New York
“Still good, but pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Returned to India House a year after our previous visit. This time, we were a party of five - two adults, three teenagers. We were greeted very pleasantly by a young woman whom I believe is a member of the family that owns the restaurant, however, once seated, we waited for 15 minutes then finally had to ask a passing server if we could order drinks.

After that, the service was fine. I had tandoori chicken, which was very good, which also came with a salad. I should have asked for the dressing on the side, as there was just a bit too much dressing on the salad. One of my companions had to ask for the chutney tray, which used to come automatically. The mint dip is delicious. My friend had biryani and likes spicy food, but beware, if you order "hot," it will be very spicy. She took home the rest of her entree so the spiciness could mellow the next day.

One of our teenagers loves the lassi drinks and ordered mango. We also had some naan bread. The prices are not low - our five entrees, bread, one lassi (the other two had water) and two beers came to a total of $160, including tax and tip.

• Visited July 2013